Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
That's an interesting response. Lets see. Throttle down, steer,mmmm. 5 boats, same club, all broken seams, same issues. Yes Driver error I'm sure thats it!
Not to even imply anything, but 5 boats from the same club, all with the same claimed issue??? I'd like to know what the odds of that are.

Formula has built a ton of boats, and these are the only 5 that I have ever seen or read an issue about with the hull/deck bond?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We here at Pantera have always taken pride on our workmanship to the point of giving "lifetime Warranty" to all of our original Pantera owners whether they race it or not.

After nearly 30 years of building our line of custom made boats all I can say is that we have always stood behind our product whether a customer has purchased a Pantera boat through us or from another customer.

We put a full hand laid race lamination on each boat and each boat is rigged and built as if it was a race boat.If a customer has a warranty problem we will take care of it here at the factory.All I can say is that we have hardly had any warranty work on our glass work in the last 30 years.

I encourage our customers to go out and beat the hell out of their boats, and if there is a problem we will be here for them. Dont take my word for it ask any Pantera customer.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our line of boats they can call me here at Pantera Boats or on my cell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this looking for something else. I was at the Pantera factory in November.Pepe gave me the grand tour if I ever buy another new boat it will be from them.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JTeam
I don’t know if there is any correlation here, but the brochures say the weight of the 353 was 8575 through 05, 9100 in 06, and 9500 from 07 on. Also, I have an old boat test of a 03 where the top speed was 85 with 525’s. The latest boat test of the 353 clocks in at 80 with the same power. Maybe they did beef things up when they extended the warranty.
The 382 that is being talked about is listed at 10,450 from the first Fastech in 1997 through the current 2011.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

i have scoured the internet on this topic and come up with nothing...

i beleive the 10 yr warranty did start in '98. We have a 2003 and is still covered until 2013 on the hull. The factory warranty sticker is still on the windshield.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zone 5
With all due respect, am I missing somthing here?

You stated that you found this problem in 2003 when the boat was 2 years old, but you didn't call Formula then, you had some marina "fix" it for $2100. In 2003, the hull was still under a Formula warranty, and for what you paid for the boat, I'd have been calling Formula then. ASAP

Fast forward 7 years to 2010, and it seems you have an other problem, however, there is no repair invoice/estimate posted, so I'm not really sure if I'm correct on this. Now, when the boat is 9 years old, you contact Formula, and send them an invoice from 2003 and want to know what they are going to do for you. As your boat had a 5 year warranty on it, its now 4 YEARS out of warranty. Formula offers you $1250, more than 1/2 of what you spent to fix it 7 years ago, and you are not happy with that, yet you state that you are not looking for anything from Formula? It appears that you have turned down the $1250 they offered that they didn't have to offer.

I'm trying to figure out what you want here? several boats that are claimed to have this issue out of the thousands that Formula has built with Plexus (They started using it in 97 or 98). Did any of these people contact Formula about this?

Very few if any Companies that I know of would give anything to repaid something that is 4 years out of warranty. Yet Formula is offering to give you $1250 and you said thats not enough? How much do you think GM or Ford would give you for a repair on a car that was 4 years out of warranty?

No problem Z5. Yes, in 2003 I had a problem, but I didn’t think it was a defect. I thought maybe it was something I did to my boat myself somehow, so I tried to have the problem fixed locally. If Formula had any support out here on the west coast I might have talked to them. When they did have support out here (Dick Simon Marine)......I had all warranty work done by them (even the AC unit that was put in with wood screws).

I have the bill for the new glue and screw job. I haven't submitted it to Formula yet. I have some more to this story to post. I think the rest of the dialog was via email.

So.....you ask what I want. I want just what I said in the beginning. This thread is intended to shed some light to a possible safety issue with the hull/deck bonding. The reason that 5 boats in our club have this problem is because we are a close club and we somehow managed to share the information. The shop fixing this problem locally is also part of our club (Archer Marine).

If their manufacturing process is as consistent as they claim, then I believe that most ALL of the boats have this problem. This is probably explains why Formula is trying to deflect the issue back to the owner as "user error". This could be a huge problem for them.

Honestly when I wrote my original letter, I thought I had a 10 year warranty. I just looked at my old Formula hard cover brochure from 2001......it says 5 Year. See below.
Attached Thumbnails IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-formula-2001-warranty-001.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Registered

The problem with your math is that Fastech's are not the only Formula's that use plexus. Every one of their boats with a deck to hull joint uses it. Going back to 2001, thats thousands of boats with that bond.
The plexus material isn't the problem.....it's Formula's application of the product.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Registered

Not to even imply anything, but 5 boats from the same club, all with the same claimed issue??? I'd like to know what the odds of that are.

Formula has built a ton of boats, and these are the only 5 that I have ever seen or read an issue about with the hull/deck bond?
Not sure what you are saying here.......can you clarify?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos

If their manufacturing process is as consistent as they claim, then I believe that most ALL of the boats have this problem. This is probably explains why Formula is trying to deflect the issue back to the owner as "user error". This could be a huge problem for them.
This is where my question comes in. Formula was building near 1000 boats a year for quite a while, and they all used plexus starting in 1997. Without knowing their exact production, we are surly talking about at least 5000 boats, and maybe a lot more. I don't know how many different people do their plexus work, but I'd guess that they have certain standards so they were all done the same way, so I'd think that there would have been a lot of issues with that many boats.

Honestly when I wrote my original letter, I thought I had a 10 year warranty. I just looked at my old Formula hard cover brochure from 2001......it says 5 Year. See below.
Thats the same book I pulled out as soon as I read your post, along with older and newer versions looking to see what they said the warranty was. Its where I came up with the dates of 5 year and then the switch to 10. I see one poster whos boat fits in the 5 year group, but his boat has a sticker that says 10, so who knows. The Formula guys at the boat show even seemed to have it different than the books show.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Registered

The plexus material isn't the problem.....it's Formula's application of the product.
I understood that was what you meant. I was just making the statement that they used plexus on all their boats, so if they use the same application, that they all would have an issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Registered

Not to even imply anything, but 5 boats from the same club, all with the same claimed issue??? I'd like to know what the odds of that are. Formula has built a ton of boats, and these are the only 5 that I have ever seen or read an issue about with the hull/deck bond?

Not sure what you are saying here.......can you clarify?
I was just stating that it was an interesting situation, that with all the thousands of boats that Formula has built with Plexus that the only ones that I have ever read about any issues with were these 5 all from the same area. I've owned 3 different Formula's since 1995, so I have paid attention to friends with them, and to the Company. Its why I have all the brochures. I have never heard anyone say anything about build issues with them.

I was not implying anything, (which I'm sure it looked like). Just trying to figure out why there haven't been any other failures reported.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.