Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread with alotta info, hopefully a resolve acn come to satisfy both parties and the integrity of Formula
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=4mulafastech;3311093] I am still wondering if any gap is normal. Do you recall seeing any gaps with your 292?

I don't recall there being a gap and its shrink wrapped now so have to wait a few months.Will let you know.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
I am doing my 311 this year so I am interested to see how bad it has come apart. The boat has about 400 hours on it. I know it is apart in a lot of areas because the rub rail screws back out all the time. I am not sure what they used to bond the decks on the 311 if anything, but I am going to use 5200 like I did on my 302. I like the 5200 idea becaues it will allow a very slight amount of movement with out loosing it's bond. Once Plexus lets go it is going to be a very quick progresion to disaster. I am also going to through bolt the rubrail back on with large fender washers and nylock nuts any place that I have access behind the rubrail.

I remember being down at Lipship and Phil showed us a 38 or 35, can't remember, that the actual stringer grid had let go!
The old 311 brochures say they used a product called Arogrip to bond the deck.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Plex vs 5200

Audiofn, I would reconsider the 5200. The Plex, when installed correctly, will not fail! It will rip the adjacent fiberglass apart to the mat! The problem as I see it was there was not enough in the joint and it was oversqueezed. Plex is a great product. There is specific requirements on squeez that were overlooked on my boat. The 5200 is a great product but it does not bite into the glass like Plex.

Last edited by fossil fuel; 01-30-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with fossil fuel. 5200 is great stuff, but I think is is too pliable for this application. Also, I wouldn't hit the panic button because the rub rail screws are backing out. Mine did on my 311, but the deck wasn't loose.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is my opinion that in a repair situation the 5200 is the way to go. The problem is that to replace the old Plexus or I guess in my case aerogrip you have to get all the old stuff out and super clean. This can be done a number of ways but not easily. Plexus is make to bond new parts together not old ones. I have tried to remove things that are held together with 5200 and ussually it rips the fiberglass apart in the process. Makes me think that you are getting a very similiar bond strength as the Plexus.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by later View Post
wonder how many Fast-tec were made since the started bonding hulls together with plexus, not that many would be my guess 25-50 per year less than 500 boats over a 10 year period of time if that boats havent been selling to good in the last 3yrs maybe only 200-300 boats? And we already know of about 6-7 boats that have had similar issues were already around 2-3% of the boats and thats not even looking for them im sure this must be happening alot.
The problem with your math is that Fastech's are not the only Formula's that use plexus. Every one of their boats with a deck to hull joint uses it. Going back to 2001, thats thousands of boats with that bond.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zone 5 View Post
The problem with your math is that Fastech's are not the only Formula's that use plexus. Every one of their boats with a deck to hull joint uses it. Going back to 2001, thats thousands of boats with that bond.
But the Fastech's are the only ones that have the potential to be run hard.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Yes. I feel you are missing something. The problem started in 2003 when the boat was two years old. I see it as a safety issue since some folks that use these boats as they were intended (and marketed) and use them in the ocean.
I'm not looking for money for the repair even though it would have been nice to have them comit to fixing it no matter what. Read the marketing material.....I see phrases like "inseparable", and "this joint is fail-safe", as well as "never going to leak or break apart".

I was seeing what Formula would actually do.

With all due respect, am I missing somthing here?

You stated that you found this problem in 2003 when the boat was 2 years old, but you didn't call Formula then, you had some marina "fix" it for $2100. In 2003, the hull was still under a Formula warranty, and for what you paid for the boat, I'd have been calling Formula then. ASAP

Fast forward 7 years to 2010, and it seems you have an other problem, however, there is no repair invoice/estimate posted, so I'm not really sure if I'm correct on this. Now, when the boat is 9 years old, you contact Formula, and send them an invoice from 2003 and want to know what they are going to do for you. As your boat had a 5 year warranty on it, its now 4 YEARS out of warranty. Formula offers you $1250, more than 1/2 of what you spent to fix it 7 years ago, and you are not happy with that, yet you state that you are not looking for anything from Formula? It appears that you have turned down the $1250 they offered that they didn't have to offer.

I'm trying to figure out what you want here? several boats that are claimed to have this issue out of the thousands that Formula has built with Plexus (They started using it in 97 or 98). Did any of these people contact Formula about this?

Very few if any Companies that I know of would give anything to repaid something that is 4 years out of warranty. Yet Formula is offering to give you $1250 and you said thats not enough? How much do you think GM or Ford would give you for a repair on a car that was 4 years out of warranty?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
But the Fastech's are the only ones that have the potential to be run hard.
Really? What kind of stress do you think a 40' x 11' 16,000 pound 400 SS with 525's running 60mph puts on that joint?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.