Mid 80's 27 to 31 formulas?

Notices
Formula

Mid 80's 27 to 31 formulas?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Biz
pgolder here on the board bought that boat do a search on the "tramp" that is the boat
Ok, so why is the add still up? Seems like a high HP high Maintenance boat. Well, they all are, but that is high maintenance for even a boat! Wow has he had a rough road with it. thanks for pointing that one out, read quite a bit of history on it.

Brian
Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Default 272 review

OK, looked at the 272 today and I think I know the answer after thinking about it on the drive home, but will see if anyone else has something to add.

It is a 85 272 with 350's/alpha's at 450 hours. Stock engines, does not look like any work done on them. That is not my concern.

Project boat as the cockpit is missing one of the rear bench cushions, passenger seat is falling apart and drivers seat is worn. Underneath looks fine I guess, wasn't overly concerned. No potty in there. Radio didn't work, wires looked messed up. So I figure the boat is going to need some wiring work, doesn't phase me much.

Hull looked nice. gelcoat bottom, top 2/3 had been recently repainted white and looked good.

Then the engine compartment. Looked down and the glass covering the wood that runs along the port spray rail/chine had split and was peeling up. The wood beneath was exposed and soft to the finger nail. I could have scraped pieces off with my finger nail. Then I looked down and saw the bulkhead at the front of the compartment, just behind the gas tank. That plywood was rotting away. You could see the tank a bit and the plywood had one small hole rotted into it. not a good indicator there.

At that point I pretty much stopped looking and decided I needed to think about it. With the wood on the edges of the hull rotted and the bulk head that bad, I would be afraid that the main stringer and possibly the stringers forward of it would be toast also.

The boat is running as the guy had it out on Lake Mi that day and was taking it to torch lake next weekend. Guy was nice, seemed pretty upfront about the boat. Just bought it 4 months ago but is into snow mobiles so wanting to sell it. Knows it needs work. Comes with a two axle steel trailer (a 95 I think) that is in decent shape. He is asking 8,800 or trades.

So, is it a project worth doing? Not sure i would want to or have the time to put into it. oh glass work doesnt bother me, but the time might. Or, wait and pick up a 311 for 20k+/- sometime over the next year?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say spend more and get more, not sure if your handy or not, if not the cost could ad up quick, if something needs int stuff like that thats ok, do you really want to get involoved in strutual work?? not me
Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Ok, so why is the add still up? Seems like a high HP high Maintenance boat. Well, they all are, but that is high maintenance for even a boat! Wow has he had a rough road with it. thanks for pointing that one out, read quite a bit of history on it.

Brian
No problem i knew i reconized it
Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
OK, looked at the 272 today and I think I know the answer after thinking about it on the drive home, but will see if anyone else has something to add.

It is a 85 272 with 350's/alpha's at 450 hours. Stock engines, does not look like any work done on them. That is not my concern.

Project boat as the cockpit is missing one of the rear bench cushions, passenger seat is falling apart and drivers seat is worn. Underneath looks fine I guess, wasn't overly concerned. No potty in there. Radio didn't work, wires looked messed up. So I figure the boat is going to need some wiring work, doesn't phase me much.

Hull looked nice. gelcoat bottom, top 2/3 had been recently repainted white and looked good.

Then the engine compartment. Looked down and the glass covering the wood that runs along the port spray rail/chine had split and was peeling up. The wood beneath was exposed and soft to the finger nail. I could have scraped pieces off with my finger nail. Then I looked down and saw the bulkhead at the front of the compartment, just behind the gas tank. That plywood was rotting away. You could see the tank a bit and the plywood had one small hole rotted into it. not a good indicator there.

At that point I pretty much stopped looking and decided I needed to think about it. With the wood on the edges of the hull rotted and the bulk head that bad, I would be afraid that the main stringer and possibly the stringers forward of it would be toast also.

The boat is running as the guy had it out on Lake Mi that day and was taking it to torch lake next weekend. Guy was nice, seemed pretty upfront about the boat. Just bought it 4 months ago but is into snow mobiles so wanting to sell it. Knows it needs work. Comes with a two axle steel trailer (a 95 I think) that is in decent shape. He is asking 8,800 or trades.

So, is it a project worth doing? Not sure i would want to or have the time to put into it. oh glass work doesnt bother me, but the time might. Or, wait and pick up a 311 for 20k+/- sometime over the next year?
Seems like alot of work for a non curved windshield boat.

IMHO a 311 is the way to go.

Not that much more money than a 272 and faster with equal power.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Car Biz
Seems like alot of work for a non curved windshield boat.

IMHO a 311 is the way to go.

Not that much more money than a 272 and faster with equal power.
So, you posting yours for sale soon or this winter? The two I was looking at seem dead now. One sold, the other in need of mucho work!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/boa/2523827219.html

butchered the interior but oh well
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88242LS
A TRUE 70mph boat? With 370hp TRS.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
A TRUE 70mph boat? With 370hp TRS.
I would say mid 60's but I dont know much about the TRS
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

looks like a good deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.