292 coming up on plane? >

292 coming up on plane?

Notices
Formula

292 coming up on plane?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the same setup as me with the pinwheel baffles in the exhaust tips its very possible that one has broke the welds and come loose. It happened to me and it was so loud I thought I lost a motor. There are two, an inner and outer.You can feel the outside ones from under the transom,but more than likely its the inner. Remove the exhaust hose going to the tip if its loose you can just pull it out. You don't need them I took all of mine out.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You talking silent thunder or muffler tip? I have the silent thunder water muffler box. May take it off and use an external muffler.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered

I was talking tips,forgot about the older style don't know much about those boxes but it could be a problem.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for all the input...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

I think you have two issues here that aren't really problems...they are nuiances of the 292. I believe you are simply blowing out your props when coming on plane. Formula props the boat for mid-upper range, not for coming on plane. They tend to struggle with factory supplied props. Most people back down a prop size for quicker planning, but mine still blows out a little coming up. the recommendation to flip the drive spacer around will allow the drive to tuck in tighter and should aid in lifting the transom to plane. I'm doing this next spring. Second, the vibration/rattle sound was the ladder cover rattling on my swim platform. Take a look at the edges inside the cover and see if there are rub marks. Throw a towel in and close the lid...rattle gone? I had to rubber edge the cover on mine and solved the problem. Yes, EVERYONE at the marina could hear it and thought there was a mechanical problem...just little quirks that need to be attended to. Love my 292!

Last edited by pondrunner; 11-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Hey. PONDRUNNER I see you have 377s. I have a 2002 with 377s ,what size prop are you using ? I went with 28s and it seems to plane off alot better and still getting 74 mph on GPS.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I am running 26" non labbed bravos. I can hit the limiters.
68 mph in fresh water. Swim ladder lid was another thought, just have not isolated it yet.

Thanks,
Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

You could add some prop tip cup to your 26's to bring rpms down and help with the blowout planning off. Or you could swing labbed 28's, but thats an expensive option. Boz, My boat with 377 scorpions came from the factory with labbed 30" bravo props. The original owner swapped them to stock 28 bravos to plane off better and it does. Top speed loss was about 2-3mph. I'm hitting 75+ on gps consistently with the 28's and will get a set of labbed 30's as a spare set and to get back that little bit of top end for poker running. Also thinking about adding CMI exhaust to pickup 30 hp and 39 ft/lbs of torque per motor over the winter. I'll drop the silent thunder as well. I might. might see 80gps when all is said and done.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered

Three things coming to mind with your rattle.

1) As mentioned, Swim Ladder Lid. Vibrates like a B****. After I removed the silent thunder box, most of the vibrations went away.

2) The silent thunder box. Check the 4 bolts that hold the box in place. I had one that worked it's way loose and the box was vibrating against the under side of the swim platform. Again, removed the box noise went away.

3) Captains Call - not sure if you have this option on your 292 but when I flush my engines from the quick connect on the exhaust riser there's a tap/rattle in the engine compartment. I thought I had a valve tapping at first, but I traced it to the captains call. If I place my hand on the actuator where the internal flapper is the rattle goes away. Only hear it when the compartment is open.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Just repower over the winter, then if the noise is still there you know its the ladder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.