292 coming up on plane?

Notices
Formula

292 coming up on plane?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pondrunner
I think you have two issues here that aren't really problems...they are nuiances of the 292. I believe you are simply blowing out your props when coming on plane. Formula props the boat for mid-upper range, not for coming on plane. They tend to struggle with factory supplied props. Most people back down a prop size for quicker planning, but mine still blows out a little coming up. the recommendation to flip the drive spacer around will allow the drive to tuck in tighter and should aid in lifting the transom to plane. I'm doing this next spring. Second, the vibration/rattle sound was the ladder cover rattling on my swim platform. Take a look at the edges inside the cover and see if there are rub marks. Throw a towel in and close the lid...rattle gone? I had to rubber edge the cover on mine and solved the problem. Yes, EVERYONE at the marina could hear it and thought there was a mechanical problem...just little quirks that need to be attended to. Love my 292!
A very real possibility, in a no wake zone above 1000 rpms I have a vibration that is from the exhaust ( I have transom only prop blocked off) so it could be the box.
Like stated above you could be blowing your props out,Mine used to do that but since I changed the exhaust and went transom only it will not. Its about 250lbs lighter in the rear now. Some one had asked on here if the no exhaust through the prop helped with blow out. I honestly don't know, I could have gotten better a driving it also. But at this point I don't think you have a big problem,if at all.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Box has a broken L bracket on the starboard side. The one that goes thru transom. I can just about bet this is making some noise.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

ST box is off, had several areas where the fg had not properly bonded and had seperated. the noise it made while flexing it is very similar to the noise accompaning the vibration. I hope to get out on the water to verify that this is the problem.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered

Hi looseconnection thought i might jump in on this one , what i have learned over time with my 08 292 is [1] the steps under my boat seem to make dirty water . meaning air and disturbed water makes air pockets to the props so i need to roll on a slow but castanet power load .you can feel the props grabbing and letting go a little so just take your time for minute or two and its just fine [2] drives in [3] your tabs down or not its up to you , i get tired of messing with mine lol ,
Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

You should notice less vibration with it off. Plus it should sound a little meaner coming on plane. Enjoy.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by looseconnection
Ok, Box has a broken L bracket on the starboard side. The one that goes thru transom. I can just about bet this is making some noise.

You will enjoy having the box off! Less weight, better sound. Don't forget to add external rubber flappers on the exhaust tips.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Got out today for a brisk 55 degree ride. Noise is gone, vibration is just prop slip. I can ease it up on plane and only get a little vibe or nail it and get a lot. I am also spinning 26 inch props, so I imagine more blow out than boats with 28 s. Solid 67 on the limiters today. But one of my tach s took a dump. Hurray, I new I wanted a tach for christmas.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn wish we could get out, then again wish we could get the snowmobiles out, were stuck in the middle
Old 12-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Registered

Was looking at my boat all covered up yesterday morning. Wishing, Dreaming, Hoping for an early spring.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Don't let LC fool you. I was freezing my baguettes off!