Formula extended swim platform

Notices
Formula

Formula extended swim platform

Old 05-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zelinsm
I asked Formula about what type of sealant./adhesive and they weren't real specific. I am going to use 5200 unless between now and then I figure out something otherwise, the weight of platform/people is mainly supported by the mounted studs to the boat. They do not have a detailed written procedure that I have been able to find thus far. They have a pdf with pictures only of one being installed on a 370 ss. In general it's not rocket science. Lay the platform on top and mark holes or somehow lay out holes with measuring, drill, apply sealant around holes etc, and tighten up.

I ordered it directly from the factory with my HID. They did not ask anything about the exhaust configuration or mention anything about the balance of the boat. I honestly can't see a platform significantly affecting the balance of the boat. 300-500 lbs for a platform compared to the lowest dry weight I have found published of 15,500 lbs then throw in fuel, waste water, fresh water, hot water, oil, etc not too mention all the stuff that we all keep on our boats. In general these boats have so much weight fluctuation and placement of that weight due to fluids, coolers, people, equipment, etc that the platform seems to be minimal and if they were that sensitive to weight our boats would never operate correctly.
agree, I haven't noticed a difference on my 37 with the extended platform
Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zelinsm,

I agree with you it's not rocket science. I am quite surprised that Formula doesn't have or didn't offer to provide a procedure. As far as the additional weight, was merely offering information a fellow 370 Owner obtained from Formula when he inquired about adding the extended platform.

Only other advice would be to carefully layout your bolt pattern taking into consideration any harnesses or plumbing routed under the existing platform, particularly around the leading edge of the new extended platform, so you don't drill through anything underneath. Also, caulk genereously between the existing platform and the underside of the new extended one when installing.

Good luck with the install.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Honestly I thought they would have some instructions etc but so far I haven't come up with much in the way of that and I am kind of surprised at Formula. Maybe they don't expect many people to make this addition on older boats or???

I know you were just passing along info but it sounded really strange that Formula or anyone would make a claim such as that when you think about what really goes on. Maybe there is something else to that situation but they never mentioned anything to me.

From what I can recall off the top of my head that area is pretty free of harnesses/plumbing but of course once I am in the process of installing I will do a final check. I will try to pass along anything I can following my install. Waiting for my platform to be finished, I guess they ran out of gelcoat that matches my boat. Another surprise that I didn't expect from Formula....
Old 05-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

this was a duplicate

Last edited by zelinsm; 05-10-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Registered

(Newbie posting!)

I have been inquiring with my Formula dealer about adding a platform to a 2002 370SS. They gave me a price for the platform and then quoted 20 to 24 hours of labor to install.Yikes.

The parts guy said he could come up with instructions and pictures if I were to try it myself.

For those that recently said they were having this done, do you have any updates for us? How many hours did you pay for? Or, if you did it yourself, what did it take?

I'd consider paying for this to be done if I could find a more reasonable estimate for labor.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Registered

20-24 hours sounds a bit high however I am guessing that is man hours and so far in my install a lot of it takes 2 or more people with maneuvering things, holding something, etc while the other person inspects for fit etc. What is the quoted cost for these hours?

I am part of the way through the install. I ended up stopping after getting the mounting holes drilled in the boat for the studs of the extended swim platform. The extended platform came with pilot holes drilled for pop up cleats which were included. I did not have appropriate documentation to support what we thought regarding the installation of the cleats as it appeared ~2 inch holes needed to be put in the existing platform. Better to be safe than sorry when punching 2+ inch holes in your boat. lol. I have since received additional photos from Formula confirming my thoughts were correct.

Thus far it has not been that difficult of a task to get the mounting holes for the studs marked and drilled, just marked the holes and measured about 50 times before the drill/hole saw came out. I made a template out of cardboard to go over all 4 studs and cut the edge of the cardboard to match the shape of the extended platform so that an initial mark could be made for the studs.

I will try to write up a step by step at some point when I have more time. If anyone is taking on this task you can PM me in the meantime for help if needed.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Is it through bolted or lag screwed into the transom?
If it were me, I'd want it through bolted. AND, I'd want to have the holes drilled out, larger than the bolts, and have tubes resin'd into the holes, AND then install the through bolts with with 3M 4200. This way there is no chance of water getting to the core of your transom.

There is no difference in the sealing "power" or adhesive quality between 4200 and 5200. The 5200 is "permanent" to the point you will have to take drastic action to ever remove it. But with 4200 it can be removed with time and care.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Registered

There are studs that are glassed into the platform so it gets through bolted to the hull.

Your installation wishes would be more of the ideal situation but this is overkill and is not practical especially from a manufacturing standpoint. When the boats are built there are many holes that are drilled through the transom etc and they are just sealed with 3M or equivalent. The installation costs would be quite high when added as a aftermarket type accessory.

The statement "There is no difference in the sealing "power" or adhesive quality between 4200 and 5200. The 5200 is "permanent" to the point you will have to take drastic action to ever remove it. But with 4200 it can be removed with time and care." contradicts itself. If there is no difference is adhesive quality one would not be considered removable and the other permanent. 3M is not is the business of labeling products differently with no difference in material properties. 5200 has a tensile strength of 700 psi and 4200/4000 have a tensile strength of 300 psi. 5200 is rated as high strength bonding and 4200/4000 are rated as general bonding for gelcoat by 3M. Formula provides tubes of 4000 with the platform which in general has the same properties as 4200 but is more UV resistant.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Need some ballpark figures. What was the cost of the factory platform purchased and shipped from Formula, and then installation?

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Registered

Platform was about $4k but I picked it up at the factory, so there wasn't the crate fee which was 500 bucks I believe and no shipping costs. I did have to pay 100 bucks for them to wrap it up in padding/shrink wrap and local sales tax. Call formula or your local dealer with your HIN to get current pricing for platform, shipping, etc. If you pick it up you can tour the factory which was pretty cool.

I installed mine myself as stated earlier in the thread. Not a horribly hard process just a lot of measuring, making a template, and test fitting after cutting holes/before adhesive with final install. Takes a while because of the repeated measuring and trial fits to make sure there wasn't an oh crap moment, if I did another one it would go a lot quicker. I think when I checked with my local dealer it was about a 1,000 bucks for installation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.