Formula extended swim platform

Notices
Formula

Formula extended swim platform

Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula extended swim platform

I ordered an extended platform from Formula for my 2000 400 ss.

Anyone take this on themselves and if so what adhesive/sealant did you use to seal around the holes etc?

Any special tricks/tips?

Thanks for any help
Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just about to do the same. Going to follow thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have to seal the holes use 4200 or 5200.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Registered

I would call TAG to walk through the install process steps. Thought about tackling for my 04' 37ss but ended up having it professionally done by a Formula dealer. They used 5200 adhesive to seal the bolt and cleat holes. I have pictures from Formula, i'll try to post tonight, of the process but there isn't a template available to pre-drill holds and I would have to lower, mark and drill based on the platform mold (will require multiple hands). Also consider your waste cap might need to be moved if its on the upper part of the swim deck (not sure the name - transition from swim platform to back). The kicker for me was no storage spot to tackle this job which I think is doable with the right hands and some time.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assuming this is aftermarket? does it mount below or on top of the swim platform?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Registered

You can buy aftermarket or buy one from Formula which is installed on new boats from factory. I ordered one from Formula. Mounts over/to the existing platform.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Registered

I double checked with Formula and there is no need or requirement to move the waste pump out port. I thought this was the case but the post above had me second guessing.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I would believe that if an Owner were to spend the $$ for the Formula platform from a dealer, that either the dealer or Formula would be willing to provide the detail written procedure (knowing that is probably in Formula's process plan) to install the unit, which should specify what type of adhesive/sealant to use during the install.

I purchased aftermarket for my 93' 34PC (as it was never available in 93') and it was provided with written detailed installation instructions that were very helpful. I performed the install myself with assistance and did use 4200. I know this install is a different from what your 400 would be.

Being curious, did Formula or the dealer ask you about your exhaust setup and if there should be any concern? The reason I ask is a close friend with a 99' 370 was told specifically by Formula that due to the additional weight of the platform, as it was not an option to his year, could lower the stern and possibly enough for inversion. Formula explained that when they introduced the optional extended platform a few models years later, that there were adjustments made to the exhaust outlet location to accommodate the additional weight.

Hope this is not taken as critical, just knowing how helpful the Factory is with Owners and the Formula brand, I would hope that you could obtain all the information you could possibly need from the direct source, and considering the $$ you spent on the platform I'm sure.

Good luck with the install and hope to see you post pictures of the completed upgarde.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Might want to consider larger trim tabs too, I know I passed on the larger Formula platform (or any but the Formula one is massive) for my 350 due to the weight. Just throwing 4-500 lbs. (or more) cantilevered behind the transom has to negatively impact balance. One reason you NEVER see a CBR without the additional platform, I think, is because the bow plug is heavier than the SS and they need more weight in back to re-balance.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Registered

I asked Formula about what type of sealant./adhesive and they weren't real specific. I am going to use 5200 unless between now and then I figure out something otherwise, the weight of platform/people is mainly supported by the mounted studs to the boat. They do not have a detailed written procedure that I have been able to find thus far. They have a pdf with pictures only of one being installed on a 370 ss. In general it's not rocket science. Lay the platform on top and mark holes or somehow lay out holes with measuring, drill, apply sealant around holes etc, and tighten up.

I ordered it directly from the factory with my HID. They did not ask anything about the exhaust configuration or mention anything about the balance of the boat. I honestly can't see a platform significantly affecting the balance of the boat. 300-500 lbs for a platform compared to the lowest dry weight I have found published of 15,500 lbs then throw in fuel, waste water, fresh water, hot water, oil, etc not too mention all the stuff that we all keep on our boats. In general these boats have so much weight fluctuation and placement of that weight due to fluids, coolers, people, equipment, etc that the platform seems to be minimal and if they were that sensitive to weight our boats would never operate correctly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.