Old 04-30-2020, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Yellow can be wrapped or painted or appreciated
Old 04-30-2020, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
what drivetrains are in your 272? Looks great.
Boat came with a rare package and has the 320EFI small blocks with Alpha SS outdrives. About 2 years ago I removed the EFI setup since you can't find any parts for them and wanted something a bit more reliable. I switched over to Edelbrock RPM air gap intake manifolds with QuickFuel marine carbs. The drives are 2.5" shorter than a standard alpha and have factory low water pickups. It is a great package and performs awesome. All of the performance of big blocks with the bonus of a better handling boat due to less weight and better on fuel. Best I have seen in perfect conditions was 67mph on GPS. Most days its a solid 64-65.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures
Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Registered

Best pictures I could find.

320 EFI Engines:

Alpha SS Drives:

The following 3 users liked this post by JimNut:
28 V (05-19-2020), larslindroth (05-12-2020), masi242 (05-02-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

That’s a really cool setup. Shoot me a pm down the road if you decide to sell.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Registered

Well I went and looked at an 89 311 yesterday but decided to pass. The forward bulkhead under the front step was soft and had about 3 inches of standing water there. Fortunately the rest of the boat helped to make the decision easier as there were a lot of little things that it was going to need. Also had a LOT of sun damage. Crappy part is it was a 7+ hour drive each way. Oh well. Onto the next one!

I'm starting to get the feeling that it is going to be very difficult to find a boat that is in as good of condition as my current 272... I know I have only been looking for a couple months at this point but I'm starting to get a bit discouraged. There just doesn't seem to be a lot out there for sale. Maybe more will go up towards the end of the season who knows.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNut
Crappy part is it was a 7+ hour drive each way. Oh well. Onto the next one!

I'm starting to get the feeling that it is going to be very difficult to find a boat that is in as good of condition as my current 272... I know I have only been looking for a couple months at this point but I'm starting to get a bit discouraged. There just doesn't seem to be a lot out there for sale. Maybe more will go up towards the end of the season who knows.
I found this search to be an all consuming, full-time job. I "skimmed the surface" (casually looked) for about a year during my last year of employment and then spent my first six months of retirement chasing down leads/boats. I had friends (car buddies from my other hobby) look/take pictures of some boats that were too far away to run and see BUT I spent many hours driving...GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Best pictures I could find.

320 EFI Engines:

Alpha SS Drives:

Is it just an optical illusion or did Formula really add such a pronounced hook in the outer running surface of the hull? Look just in front of the trim tab.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well I went and looked at an 89 311 yesterday but decided to pass. The forward bulkhead under the front step was soft and had about 3 inches of standing water there. Fortunately the rest of the boat helped to make the decision easier as there were a lot of little things that it was going to need. Also had a LOT of sun damage. Crappy part is it was a 7+ hour drive each way. Oh well. Onto the next one!

I was entertaining looking into big/better than my 311 for a while and found that most were not going to be as nice as mine for the money, and that moving up (at least from the 311) wouldn't really gain much of anything for me for the kind of boating I do. The boat does everything that I need it to and I can tow it with my heavy duty Suburban.

These boats are getting old and many are going to need work. Sounds like you're in a similar situation.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Is it just an optical illusion or did Formula really add such a pronounced hook in the outer running surface of the hull? Look just in front of the trim tab.
Not an optical illusion at all. I was just as surprised when I seen it the first time. One of the reasons why
these boats need as much power as they do to get up and run.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not an optical illusion at all. I was just as surprised when I seen it the first time. One of the reasons why
these boats need as much power as they do to get up and run.
I’ve heard that once they’re out of the water pretty good and at speed, the hook doesn’t matter much being that it only on the outside (is that true?).

The 311 and 357 hulls do not have that at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.