Old 07-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Thanks buddy!
Old 07-31-2021, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Tom, if the bulkhead is the only wet spot, you can fix that in a weekend. Give me a call. I learned a few tricks that will make it easy. 3five2213six45one.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Awesome! I’ll give you a call tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Port engine initial start-up. This one was a little more temperamental to get started. The carb was baselined really lean for idle, and the timing was retarded. In the video, timing is set at 33 degrees and about 900 RPM.

The following 2 users liked this post by TomZ:
GLENAMY 242SS (09-04-2021), ph1971 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Idle is still a little lean.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We did a lot of looking at the structure of the boat last night to really get an idea of how the boat was constructed as well as to see how bad things were looking at the bulkheads.

The good…

Formula built this thing really well. After looking at structural drawings as well as an in-depth inspection we found that the strength of the boat is handled by the fiberglass that encapsulated the stringer grid (most of which is only 1/2-inch ply). The grid makes up a form and the glass is where the real strength is. You can tell that it’s well built when you’re able to see the plans and the structure together.

Moisture is low comparatively. It’s hard to tell with the tank because it screws up the meter but doing comparative readings to known pieces of dry wood, there’s about 12 percent. That’s the bulkhead, stringers, transom, etc. very good!

I drilled core samples and found decent wood. No water pouring from anything.

The bad…

The crack is a crack and needs glasswork.

The one soft spot on the starboard side delaminated from the glass. The wood was good. Void? Not sure but it needs to be fixed/built up.

Speaking with Lou Perrone at A to Z Marine, he suggested adding 1/2-inch core bonded to the existing bulkheads and tabbing to the stringers, hull bottom and tops of the bulkheads. So that’s what we’re going to do. We’ll tape the area that’s cracked to finish that up. Lou also confirmed the structure design and its strength.

I’ll be busy with work the next few weeks but hoping I can get this glass guy that I know to come out and do it up really quick. Should be done in a week or two, then hopefully, engines back in before the end of the month.

Last edited by TomZ; 09-05-2021 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
badmonkey (09-08-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Motors sound awesome. Congrats on having both together. Looks like you have the glass in line to be fixed up. Bets on who is in the water first? Lots of nice weather left to enjoy.
Shot you a text on Fri. Didn't hear from you. Don't know if you got it or not.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I’ve been really busy over the last couple days. I saw your post here and was reminded to get back to you. Sent you a text.

We’ll see about who gets in first. I’m not rushing anything at this point.

I also need to figure out issues on the Cig. We fixed a bunch of fuel issues, new fuel pump, and had to replace the power steering pump (front seal took a dump). All of the carb linkage binds against fuel lines so that’s got to be sorted out too. And the MSDs won’t fire so not sure what that’s all about (power shorts to ground). F’ing boats. Lol
Old 09-06-2021, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
I’ve been really busy over the last couple days. I saw your post here and was reminded to get back to you. Sent you a text.

We’ll see about who gets in first. I’m not rushing anything at this point.

I also need to figure out issues on the Cig. We fixed a bunch of fuel issues, new fuel pump, and had to replace the power steering pump (front seal took a dump). All of the carb linkage binds against fuel lines so that’s got to be sorted out too. And the MSDs won’t fire so not sure what that’s all about (power shorts to ground). F’ing boats. Lol
F'ing boats is right. Have to love it. I got your message. I ended up buttoning the motor up yesterday. I decided to just run the stock rockers. Long story why I wanted to use the studs, but it's all good. That motor really doesn't need anything more than the stock valve train.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cool. Glad you got it all buttoned up!

Adjustable valvetrain comes into play with decking. But if you’ve onlly removed a few thousandths, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Good luck getting her back together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.