311 Engine Upgrades >

311 Engine Upgrades

Notices
Formula

311 Engine Upgrades

Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Which Crowers were you looking at? I'm digging the shaft mount bushed tip, they will do any ratio you want. I was looking at these for my merlin 3's ..
https://www.crower.com/rocker-arms/w...t-rockers.html
Old 10-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Those are nice! But holy hell pricey! I'm using Crower's Enduro stainless steel rockers for mine.

For my old 311, I think that sticking to basics is probably a better idea than getting too deep in the weeds on power production that just won't make a lot of difference with this hull and the configuration. So with that said... sticking to the 500 EFI cams that I have (114 LSA version of a 761 for those that do not know the specs of a 621) and keeping compression at 9:1 or so should get me a decent, reliable package that I won't have to work on all the time (easy on springs, good dock manners, etc). I think my original goal was to try to hit 80. I think I have the parts in-hand to get there. Hell, I had no idea that the one engine was so hurt. I was already doing 70 with a bad one. With the new power and the reduction of the weight from the heads and removal of all the EFI crap, gaining another 8-10 MPH shouldn't be a stretch. We'll see.

It's so easy to get wrapped around the axle trying to get everything figured out. OSO has a wealth of information, but sometimes there's just too much. There's also a lot of conflicting information. And through my reading, I've found that some proven builds were being "corrected" by those that could profit off of services (and where in some cases people ended up with less than positive and sometimes even disastrous results).

Appreciate all the help! Keep the suggestions coming please. How about Scat or Eagle IR bushed rods? Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I am 100% behind your newest plan. That cam is time tested and makes ample power and sounds great doing it. I am running a comp copy in my 540. I know that I left some power on the table but the reliability and the fact that I could still run my e- tops made the choice easy. As far as rods go, It’s hard to beat the eagle H- beam with floating pin. It’s great stuff for the money.
The following users liked this post:
TylerBurich (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This had pretty much been the plan all along. I just got myself all spun up when the thought of leaving power on the table came into the mix.

“Must have more power”

”Must go faster!”

If I really want to go competitively fast, then really I’d need to find another boat. I know of some incredibly fast 311s, but the work involved to get there just isn’t in the cards. And I really love my boat for its old school style and comfort. That’s not to say it won’t be fast (it better be!!), but going after an extra mile per hour or two just doesn’t make sense. I did that with my 242 and it was more of a headache than anything.

I’m headed to Key West for some r-n-r tomorrow, but when I get back, I’m diving into it. I also have OSO member Hollowpoint’s Cig Bullet here at the house to finish up. Hoping to get new steering in the boat before the cold sets in. It’s got a new set of 650 horse blower engines!

Last edited by TomZ; 10-14-2020 at 09:49 PM.
TylerBurich (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Tom, don’t know if you are flying into KW or driving down, but f you find yourself on Cudjo key please do your self a favor and grab a meal at the Square Grouper. It’s the best sea food I’ve had anywhere. Have fun!
Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thank you sir!

We’re flying straight into Key West and staying on Duval St at the Pier House. We might rent some scooters to ride around but for the most staying put right in the thick of it. Hoping the weather stays decent.

Next time we go we’ll drive down to check out more places. The two other couples joining us are driving in from Miami. I’ll make sure to give them the recommendation!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow! What a trip! I’ve been to a lot of places, but I was sad having to leave Key West. We hit quite a few spots while we were there. Wrapped everything up at Capt Tony’s.

Back to reality and work.

Called the machine shop. They’re waiting on the pistons and rings and the rods from me in order to do the final finish hone and balance the rotating assembly. I was waiting to hear that the block passed porosity tests after boring so since we’re all good on that front, I ordered the parts. SRP 1-cc dome 4.5 replacement pistons, JE plasma-moly rings, and Eagle H-beam rods. Stuff should be here throughout next week, and I should have the block and balanced rotating assembly back at home in the next couple of weeks.

I have the other one on the stand now. I’ll get the rotating assembly out of it this weekend and then I’ll measure everything. Hoping I can just clean, deck and hone to run a set of replacement 4.47 pistons. New rods will be coming for this one too and the whole thing will be balanced.
TylerBurich (10-23-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Expected delivery from Amazon was Wednesday/Thursday. I got the pistons and rods this morning. Nice!

Just waiting on the rings.

I guess something is up with the site... can’t load the page to upload pics. The pistons and rods sure are pretty!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Work is coming along.... the first short block should be finished sometime next week. Then the other one goes out to be cleaned up. I probably won’t get the engines to my friend for dyno tuning until after Christmas but at least it’s coming along.
The following 3 users liked this post by TomZ:
ph1971 (11-01-2020), sonicss42 (10-31-2020), TylerBurich (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Tom, did you decide on lifters yet or did I miss that part?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.