Distant Thunder 357SR1 - Winter Mods >

Distant Thunder 357SR1 - Winter Mods

Notices

Distant Thunder 357SR1 - Winter Mods

Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Iíll be of course following this along the way. Canít wait to hear and see the progress.
The following users liked this post:
distantthunder (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ View Post
Sheís going to look great, Josh. I want to do the same thing to my 311.

I mentioned this via text earlier, but Iíd also like to get rid of the glass and use acrylic. The rough that we have here sometimes makes me a little worried about broken glass. Itís happened at some point with mine... I keep finding broken safety glass fragments in the bilge. Running frameless would be cool, too, but I think the compound curves would be hard to do. Or maybe not?
Morning Tom!

Acrylic would be possible with the correct mold. Possibly remove the top cap rail of the windshield and use the remaining components for a mold. If you wanted a non-see through option, fiberglass or aluminum plate is always an option 😁

The is a couple guys up this way that used aluminum sheet metal to replace their windscreens on the old Baja hulls. Functional but dangerous option as well if someone were to hit or fall on it.

itís always a risk taking there old birds apart and I am a bit nervous about disassembling the frame on her but I am hoping to use two or three helpers to ensure itís a safe removal. Maybe the window tint will hold the glass together even more? 😁😁

I need to track down the correct gasket materials for the base and the glass, also the push-in rubber for the outer rail face. The originals have shrunk and faded. I plan to remove the windshield within the next two weeks that way everything (Platform, beauty rings, and windshield frame) can go to powder coat at the same time and reduce some overall costs.

I also needs to find a machine shop here locally for the heads, taking recommendations.....
Old 12-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Subscribed! I’m ready for not so distant thunder, good luck
distantthunder (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ph1971 View Post
Subscribed! Iím ready for not so distant thunder, good luck
Haha! You and me both buddy!
Old 12-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Subscribed! Good luck!
distantthunder (12-04-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Registered

Afternoon everyone! No real updates to be had other than the following:

1. The beauty rings for the transom are cut out and will be picked up tomorrow for measurement/marking needed for the bend on the out board tips since the transom is curved.
2. I plan on pulling the windshield this Sunday since it will be sunny and 62F outside that way all metal will go to powder coat at one time.
3. The tails go into surgery tomorrow for muffler removal
4. I have decided to update the exterior graphics on the boat, I will share those details later (the rendering is done and I am super excited).
5. I probably will head over to DNR next week and finally register the boat so I can put the registration numbers on the front when I order the new graphics.
6. Does anyone know the easiest place to find the V6 Modules? Should I just order them from Mercruiser?
7. Parts search continues, I appreciate the leads (Smoke Eater, and TomZ) from the Swap Shop. I think I am going to purchase the blowers brand new and spoil myself but if anyone comes across two Holley 9022 carbs, let me know!

I hope everyone has a great weekend and I will update with pictures next week!
Old 12-10-2020, 04:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Go roller and buy my cams. 650 hp on whatís essentially 420 long blocks in Wayneís Bullet. Iíll send you a pic of the dyno sheets. Thatís with 250 B&Ms and twin 850s each side, 500 efi cams (169621). Youíll probably make a little more with the TBS set up because theyíll be new and theyíre a newer design.

Before you take the top-end apart, get compression and leak-down numbers so you know what youíre dealing with.

Take pics of the windshield coming off!

Still working on the slides. Can you measure yours this weekend?

Iím picking up the first short block tomorrow or Monday. Woohoo!

distantthunder (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

So Iím starting to think itís gonna be unavailable to me next year haha!!! Your gonna be too much in love to part ways!!!
distantthunder (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smoke eater View Post
So Iím starting to think itís gonna be unavailable to me next year haha!!! Your gonna be too much in love to part ways!!!
Haha, everything is always for sale buddy!
Old 12-11-2020, 06:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by distantthunder View Post
Haha, everything is always for sale buddy!

lol now you sound like me haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.