VIP Member

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Any updates?
Old 01-19-2021, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke eater View Post
Any updates?
Hey Rob, nothing big to report the weather hasnít cooperated and I decided to renovate my first floor of the house this January. However, the beauty plates are done for the transom, the platform repairs will be done this week and the windshield will be pulled within the next week so everything will go to the powdercoater the first week of February. I have also received the carbs for the blower setups and are sending them to Nickerson for rebuild and setup. The graphics and lettering are also designed and on order, I just need to go pick them up from Delaware.

I had a curveball this month with two flat tires on the trailer and an unexpected IRS bill from almost ten years ago so I had to bite the bullet and readjust some finances for January but February is going to be hot and heavy on the boat. Stay Tuned! I saw youíre scoping that 382!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by distantthunder View Post
Hey Rob, nothing big to report the weather hasnít cooperated and I decided to renovate my first floor of the house this January. However, the beauty plates are done for the transom, the platform repairs will be done this week and the windshield will be pulled within the next week so everything will go to the powdercoater the first week of February. I have also received the carbs for the blower setups and are sending them to Nickerson for rebuild and setup. The graphics and lettering are also designed and on order, I just need to go pick them up from Delaware.

I had a curveball this month with two flat tires on the trailer and an unexpected IRS bill from almost ten years ago so I had to bite the bullet and readjust some finances for January but February is going to be hot and heavy on the boat. Stay Tuned! I saw youíre scoping that 382!
I'm so back and forth. Ill be honest I was dead set on your boat. But I'm glad your updating it and keeping it for yourself. I've decided that I love Lake Michigan boating and we just need a bigger boat to enjoy it all the time then the 272. So I might be parting with it at some point. I'm so back and forth on what I want to get. I like the price point and the looks of the old heavy 357........ But at the same time like some of the features if I found them AC/Generator on a 382, or do I completely go crazy and get a 38 cig top gun. The top gun has always been a dream boat of mine but it might be just that a dream..... I have my eye on a top gun and possibly that 382 but waiting further details. An old 357 is not out of the question if it had bravos and some other upgrades I think I would go that direction and maybe save some coin. The 500/525 EFI motors look very appealing to me for some reason. Just not sure what I want to do. Supposedly my buddy wants my 272 something fierce..... So if I find the right boat I might be selling it to him. But we shall see. What did you end up deciding on graphics. shoot me a text with what you went with. Ill be happy to see how the boats coming along.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:51 AM
Registered

I'm so back and forth. Ill be honest I was dead set on your boat. But I'm glad your updating it and keeping it for yourself. I've decided that I love Lake Michigan boating and we just need a bigger boat to enjoy it all the time then the 272. So I might be parting with it at some point. I'm so back and forth on what I want to get. I like the price point and the looks of the old heavy 357........ But at the same time like some of the features if I found them AC/Generator on a 382, or do I completely go crazy and get a 38 cig top gun. The top gun has always been a dream boat of mine but it might be just that a dream..... I have my eye on a top gun and possibly that 382 but waiting further details. An old 357 is not out of the question if it had bravos and some other upgrades I think I would go that direction and maybe save some coin. The 500/525 EFI motors look very appealing to me for some reason. Just not sure what I want to do. Supposedly my buddy wants my 272 something fierce..... So if I find the right boat I might be selling it to him. But we shall see. What did you end up deciding on graphics. shoot me a text with what you went with. Ill be happy to see how the boats coming along.
Haha, Love the world of boating! Always something new on the horizon! That 382 Is a nice setup, just odd how the pictures are posted. I would love to have a newer Formula but after riding in my cousin's, it doesn't have the feel of the older SR1's, the bolsters felt taller almost like sitting on a bar stool and the fuel injected gave me a disconnected feeling to the engines when running in the rough, although it would be something to get used to, I just can't help but love the fit and finish of the older Formulas and the old mechanical technology of the engines, to each is their own. Blue motors have always interested me but I feel like any used boat with blue engines will require a top end service within the first or second season - unless already done upon purchase. The Top Guns I feel are on anyone's bucket list - TomZ always mentioned finding a Cigarette to replace his 311 Having the TRS drives on this boat does not make me miss the Bravo setup, especially around the docks. Still a lot of time until boating season, I can't wait to get mine finished up.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 194 Likes on 141 Posts

Obviously, the Top Gun is an iconic legend, but in my opinion I just don't think you can really get the comfort of the 382 in a Top Gun without serious customization. I feel the 382 has such a nice cabin, and for family go-fast boating, it really has a lot of the competition beat. And if you can get into a FasTech, you can really run some ridiculous speeds with the right power (either 700 SCi NXTs or Imors 725 Indy's will run solidly into the 90's). Great boats.

Last edited by TomZ; 01-21-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by distantthunder View Post
Haha, Love the world of boating! Always something new on the horizon! That 382 Is a nice setup, just odd how the pictures are posted. I would love to have a newer Formula but after riding in my cousin's, it doesn't have the feel of the older SR1's, the bolsters felt taller almost like sitting on a bar stool and the fuel injected gave me a disconnected feeling to the engines when running in the rough, although it would be something to get used to, I just can't help but love the fit and finish of the older Formulas and the old mechanical technology of the engines, to each is their own. Blue motors have always interested me but I feel like any used boat with blue engines will require a top end service within the first or second season - unless already done upon purchase. The Top Guns I feel are on anyone's bucket list - TomZ always mentioned finding a Cigarette to replace his 311 Having the TRS drives on this boat does not make me miss the Bravo setup, especially around the docks. Still a lot of time until boating season, I can't wait to get mine finished up.
I've got a Cigarette here (Wayne's Bullet). While the Cigarettes are more "racy" and one day I may end up with one (probably Wayne's at some point), I'm finding that my 311 with her comfort and room just appeals to me a little more than the Cigarette's raciness (the new power I'm building for the old girl isn't hurting either). I don't see myself leaving the Formula family anytime soon!

**Adding that even if the Cigarette winds up here in the next few years, I do not see myself leaving the Formula family.

Last edited by TomZ; 01-21-2021 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ph1971 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TomZ View Post

Obviously, the Top Gun is an iconic legend, but in my opinion I just don't think you can really get the comfort of the 382 in a Top Gun without serious customization. I feel the 382 has such a nice cabin, and for family go-fast boating, it really has a lot of the competition beat. And if you can get into a FasTech, you can really run some ridiculous speeds with the right power. 700's (either 700 SCi NXTs or Imors 725 Indy's will run solidly into the 90's). Great boats.
See that's where I'm at and the formula family makes me want to stay. Not saying the Cig family wouldn't welcome me. but I've just loved the formula. Josh your right the old birds have a special feel about them which is why I'm partial to them. The cig looks great but the formula has those comfort features that I think would be more for my family in its present state. Only downfall to that 382 is no generator and no a/c not a deal breaker cause I could always find it and add it. But one thing that I wish it did have was a trailer and bottom and drive pics lol. Would make it easier to decide. I know I could always get a trailer just would be more helpful in my decision making to have one already. It seems to me that no boat will be the exact way you want it and were all gonna make the changes we want to.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Registered

Happy Friday Everyone! The time has come to move the Formula out of storage and get busy on the projects. Unfortunately, the house renovation, side business, and Harley build came first but all are coming to a close within the next week so I can focus on Distant Thunder.

Here is where everything stands, need to get the new tires on the trailer so I can move her to the house and remove the windshield frame. The swim platform repairs are complete and I picked it up on Wednesday, the exhaust tips have arrived and are being polished next week. Once the boat is out of storage, I will remove the frame and all the components are headed to the powder coater, the colors have been selected.

The tail pipe modification components went on order today and should arrive next week. I need to research where to put the water connection nipples between the riser and the tail extension, I think I recall Tom Z stating the bottom side of the pipe, but I could be backwards.

Time to start getting excited.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Connections are on the top side of the pipes. Low will create hot spots because the water will flow through path of least resistance. Connections at the top will force flooding of the chambers.

Stay safe and healthy! Stacy and I caught the virus... I've had my ass handed to me this week.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Registered

Alrighty, here's the skinny.

Metal has been received for the tail pipe modification. Pictures coming soon.

I decided to upgrade the audio on my Harley so I have been working on that since the weather has been crap for the last two months.

I am hopeful for a break in the weather, I am itching to get busy on the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.