353 with separating rub rail. (repair)

Notices
Formula

353 with separating rub rail. (repair)

Old 06-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tape off the sides and clean everything out as best you can.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I chose to use 5200 instead of Plexus. This is not a nock on Plexus it is amazing stuff but it has a very short work time. The 5200 gave me much more work time and given the amount of time it takes to lay out all the material and then screw the hull together the 5200 is a better choice. There is no question it is far stronger then the way it came out of the factory because it was clear that the plexus did not bond at all on this boat.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Then before the 5200 went totally hard (about 2 days) I cut off all the excess and removed the tape.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I watched to make sure I had 5200 coming out all the screw holes as well as looked inside the hull to make sure it got all the way to the top of the hull. The hull is SUPER rigid now. Much more so then before. Almost zero rattles. The next issue was dealing with how to attach the rub rail. Due to the screws moving around so much a lot of the screw holes were not only stripped but a few had pulled the heads through the rub rail. My solution was to actually go with machine screws. I am using #12-24 machine screws. In any location that I can not get to the screw I am tapping with a machine tap and any screw I have access to the back of the screw I am using a washer and nylock nut. This should make it so that the rub rail can never loosen again. Waiting on 4" long screws to come in, hopefully soon so that I can keep moving forward. Last picture is of the foam that they put under the rub rail. I assume to catch dirt so you do not get streaks on the hull? They had it so it will go back in there.

Perfect Storm (06-29-2021), resurrected (06-29-2021), tony357 (04-06-2022)