Formula 242 which flavor?

Notices
Formula

Formula 242 which flavor?

Old 01-06-2022, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85
Found one with a new 383 mag stroker in it and a bravo outdrive that's been recently gone through and redone up in new england. While not 100% where i'd like the power numbers to be.. thinking the captains chairs will make for a much more family friendly cockpit when hanging out. The 383's seem like they would be open to taking a 177 blower with low boost as well if I wanted to go down that road in a few years. A few pictures from the owner, hopefully talking with him tomorrow or the next day with some questions I have.

The mag MPI wouldn’t lend itself to a blower kit very well unless you modified the blower manifold to accept the injectors. Articfriends or BUP or Eddie Young could handle a project like that and get it tuned, but it wouldn’t be cheap. Or you could go carb, but that seems a bit like going backwards.

A blow through centrifugal supercharger would allow you to leave the engine itself alone mechanically. Would still need someone to tune it.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (01-07-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85
Definitely agree with you, and I'm sure I would enjoy the twins. I'm also sure I'd be cursing it out Everytime I had to change plugs, update parts on the drives, flush them etc. If I'm doing my math right, I'd need about another 80-90 hp out of the 383 stroker to equal what the twin 350's do. Which I'm sure the only way to get there would be to pull the motor swap pistons, heads and drop a blower on.

Specs on the 383 if it's the right one are:

Horsepower: 350hp @ crankshaft
Torque: 390 lb/ft @ 4,200 rpm
WOT Operating Range: 4800-5200 rpm
Engine Configuration: GM Small Block V-8
Displacement: 383 ci / 6.3L
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Idle Speed: 600 rpmForged crankshaft1.6 roller rockersIron headsAluminum Pistons

So essentially pretty close in specs to a 454 mag setup from a hp standpoint. I know the torque curve and numbers will definitely be different from a BBC. But it's also saving 945lbs of weight vs the 2nd 350 in it.
Im assuming this is a vortec headed deal. With a full length header, dry to tip exhaust, a cam of at least 230/236 on 106-110 with 0.500-0.550 lift and someone that knows how to tune it. You could hit these numbers. I’m not sure if the intake manifold is good. I’d probably want to retrofit the fuel injection to a good aftermarket one. If possible I’d want a thinner head gasket too, to bump that compression a little.

That project would not be cheap however. At least $10k, maybe $15k.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (01-07-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Lots of great input on this thread!

I personally thought the 242SR1 with the twin SBC as an iconic boat of that era as most manufacturers never stuffed twins in that size of a hull, other than the older Nova Spyders and such but definitely a cool setup, although a bit tight in the engine bay. The twins redundancy factor is a big thing for me where I boat, not easily staffed by tow boats. I have a friend with one of the 242SR1's and it is a sweet setup as he upgraded to 383's.

Single engine 242LS I would have to look at the BBC setup, the SBC would be a bit underpowered and definitely look for one with bolsters. Captains chairs are nice from a space savings aspect but the bolsters offer a bit of a tighter ride for the Captain and First Mate. TomZ and another friend of mine both had very nice 242 single engine setups, that are still floating around the VA/MD area today. If 60+ MPH is your mark, then look for a BBC/Bravo boat but if you can live with 50+ MPH then the boat you posted looks like an awesome contender. As TomZ mentioned, she's a heavy hull, the more displacement the better.

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and travel up and down the east coat for a living. Let me know if you need a second eye on anything and I can stop during my travels!
The following 2 users liked this post by distantthunder:
CharlieWhiskey85 (01-16-2022), TomZ (01-11-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the next size down, an 87 223LS. Has mildly upgraded 383, not crazy, just something I can turn the key with 93 octane. I have not GPS'd it but I can get a 19 pitch Mirage to run 5200 rpm with a 1.47 Alpha drive. According to prop calculators that's high 50's. I say the twins sound great because they will make mph right away and can be updated without getting exotic.
BUUT 2 of everything.

On the other hand a blower big block single would be less labor to keep maintained and repaired. But til you go forced induction or high performance the twins win. And Alphas are cheap. Costs? 2 more basic things vs 1 bigger fancier thing.
The trouble will be in the installation. You'll be taking off stuff to reach between those motors, so when they are ever out get them well sorted before they go back in.
My Alpha has been fine. I run Amsoil Severe gear in it and it has a shower. Before the drive shower it was getting so hot the paint turned chalk grey/white. Only ran it two days that way.
These boats feel heavy, mine has less deadrise, 22 degrees. So a 24 is going to really cut the chop.
The 383 will not be fast. Mine's a little better than that one in the ad, and my smaller boat runs just ok with it.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone know how hard it is to swap the SS passenger seat for a captains swivel seat? Found a beauty of a boat with a built 520hp big block but has the SS seating and the passenger seat setup in those look like they'd be horrendous in any kind of rough water with zero side support.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Once you get accustom to the "fishing seat" you will love the versality of it. I went the other way and swapped out the drivers captains seat with a Bolster, they say it cannot be done. WRONG. This gives you the cockpit room of a 35'
Good Luck
P.S. what color is the SS you are looking at?
Old 01-17-2022, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Once you get accustom to the "fishing seat" you will love the versality of it. I went the other way and swapped out the drivers captains seat with a Bolster, they say it cannot be done. WRONG. This gives you the cockpit room of a 35'
Good Luck
P.S. what color is the SS you are looking at?

it's the teal color. Which style seat are you referring to as the "fishing seat?" The passenger one? Also, do those fold out? Haven't seen many pictures of an SS around. Thanks!!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes the passenger seat folds out so it makes a sun sofa/lounge and almost a wrap around on that side of boat, also has storage under it. The SS features a "ski locker" (storage) in the center of the cockpit which the other models do not have.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I replaced th box under the lounge with a double woofer enclosure that I built out of composite and hell coated

There is a bunch more room on deck because the windshield island dash are further forward than the LS

You can put a large cooler behind the helm seat and stil have leg room .
The following 3 users liked this post by ph1971:
GLENAMY 242SS (01-18-2022), masi242 (02-26-2022), TomZ (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I love the way this reads but it’s all ****ed up because I did it on my phone without glasses ha ha
The following 2 users liked this post by ph1971:
TomZ (01-18-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (01-21-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.