Help!! Overheating!! >

Help!! Overheating!!

Notices
Formula

Help!! Overheating!!

Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 PM
bowtie89

Default Help!! Overheating!!

My 206 was running awesome yesterday and today when I was running at 3500 rpms black smoke started coming out my starbord side exhaust!!It didn't get hot on the guage till I stopped and it still has oil pressure I was baffled until I got home and hooked it up to the hose and started it up water on exits on the port side of the exhuast. so where do I start manifolds?? The way I see ti the water pump is working if one side is working right!!!!

Old 07-28-2003, 08:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would pull apart the water pump and take a look. It is real possible that your water pump impeller may have fallen aprart. If it did go to the first cooler and look for the parts stuck in it.

Have you run it into the sand recently? It is also possible that you have sand in the block.

Ussually you will get a mix match of flow out the exhaust when you do not have enough water going through your motor.

I would also check any of your rubber connectors on the exhaust to make sure that you did not have a failure of the hose then you ran it dry. That stuff can collapse inside.

Jon
Old 07-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Audio said, check the raw water impellor. They go bad quite easily. Especially if some one ran it without hooking a hose up to the drive.
Only problem is that the outdrive must be disassembled to change it. Yes, that's right. On the Alpha the water pump is inside the outdrive. The pump you see on front of the engine circulates it through the block. The raw water pump pushes it up to that point.
A rebuild kit is about 40-65 bucks (list price is about 70+) and labor to install is extra.

The black smoke you saw was one of the rubber exhaust hoses burning inside. I suggest they both be pulled and checked for damage.
Don't let these things get you down. It's all part of owning a used boat, or any boat for that matter. I'm sure you'll find other things that need fixing as time goes on.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Boating.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:37 PM
JON242

But, if you're getting good flow out one side of the exhaust and not the other, I don't think the problem is in the water pump. Check your thermostat housing and make sure the spring loaded balls are working. Also, check in there for foriegn objects such as pieces from the raw water pump impeller.

Old 07-29-2003, 07:30 PM
bowtie89

Default Did some testing

Ok I did some testing today I took of the hose (on the side that was running good) from the y where the checkballs are and I closed that up forcing all the water out the starboard side and it started flowing good but the water that came down out of the platform felt very hot and smoky, so I hooked the port one back up and started it up it was flowing out of both sides witch is wasn't doing before but it still has alot more flow to the port side. The port side also feels cooler! could it be getting more water becuase of the check valves. maybe time for new manifolds alothough if there was another way I would like to avoid them they are pricey. risers seem ok they have good flow and when I unhook the hose out eh bottom of the manifold it is flowing good so it is clean till there!! anything else I should do before I go buy new manifolds only to find out that they werent the problem?