242 ls single big block >

242 ls single big block

Notices
Formula

242 ls single big block

Old 08-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott 72, I forgot to ask, are you running in fresh or salt water. I was in salt. They say that makes a difference, salt is supposed to be more boyant or something.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

The salt water is more dense, therefor the boat sits a bit higher in the water, and has a better "grip" something like the difference between running on ice or on concrete.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I wrote them asking questions about the hatches on the forward deck and few other things but the reponse was they didn't have any recods for that model year.
Back when Boilerdaddy was active here I posted a question about my prop and he got two engineers to write me about it. One engineer e-mailed a copy of the 1988 F-206 brochure. I will always be grateful for that.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Scott72

Formula Outlaw,
I am running in Salt water. I think with a little more tuning I will see around 70 or over. The boat with a the original 330 ran around 61 on GPS. I have a few tuning issues that are holding me back. I'm running too much carb (an 850 holley) with only 461 CI. Got a deal on the carb originally but I am running pretty rich. Want to try and 800 or 750 soon. I haven't had a real calm day this year to be able to really trim the boat up. Best I have done was around 5100 at a little under half trim. I am running external steering which really helps. I know Craig223 was running a Merc 420 in his boat with a hotter cam in it etc. He GPS's around 69 running a Hydromotive. My uncle had a 1990 242SS running a 454Mag (365hp) in it. He was running right around 62 on GPS with it. I know the SS are a tad slower due to weight distribution being more towards the bow.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Registered

Scott 72, sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Have you tried rejetting the carb? You should be able to rejet it leaner. That might avoid you having to replace the carb. It's worth a shot. In my 242 I ran slower in "glass", I got my best speed with about 1-1&1/2 ft chop. Just enough to get some air under the hull. If I was on "glass" I lost about 4 mph. I think once you get your carb problems resolved I definitely think you'll be on the high side of 70, maybe 73/74. Keep us all posted.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outlaw, if he was getting 63/64 without the swim platform with the 330 than with a 415hp and the swim platform I would assume you must beable to get about 68/70 or so. I saw an add for an 89 242ls with a 502 ci 435 hp and it said it would due 70 mph. I would still like to see an 87-88 242 with twins! That would be the boat right there. The whole problem is I've been running a 19 ft Chapparall (father's boat) with a 4.3ltr 180 hp and that thing will do 50 with a regular prop on it. So if I get a boat that's 5 feet larger and looks a lot meaner, I would like to be able to get some extra speed! Know what I mean!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Registered

I know what you mean. There is a BIG difference between 50 and 70, especially when you go up by 5 ft. and a thousands of pounds. The swim platform my buddy took off was a simple teak platform, all he did was lose the weight. If a boat is running the "silent-thunder" swim platform, with the swim platform acting like a big "muffler", unless you modify it, you do lose top end rpms. I know, I've done it. Go into 311 sr for sale and check out some of my posts in there. My guess is that if an 89 with a 502/435 will do 70, and if it does have the silent thunder system, modify it the way I did
and you should pick up a couple of miles an hour. Speedwise though, to me it sounds about right. Once you get above 65 or so, every mile an hour comes hard. If you've got the patience, keep looking for one with twins. There's one out there somewhere, it's just gotta be found. I'll look hard down here for you. Keep the faith. Though that 242 with the 502 does sound sweet.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as I found out that the silent thunder swim plat form slowed you down slightly and also almost completely muffles the sound... I was already thinking of ways to modify it even though I had not even taken a good look at it yet. I mean I like that fact that it quiets the boat down a bit but sometimes it just sounds better loud!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Registered

The way I modified mine, you notice the difference immediately, by removing those partitions that are bonded in place directly in front of the rectrangular exhaust outlets. Where you REALLY hear it come alive is up on plane when those big honkin holes I cut in the bottom of the box where the little circles used to be, clear the water. As soon as the stern starts to come up it's like afterburners kicking in. It would be extemely helpful in areas of the country where the noise police are jerks, idling by it's nice and throaty but not going to draw annoying attention. When she's passing 50 though it starts to get loud. Personally, I like loud. And the engine sure likes it, I gained 300 rpms by the mods.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Registered

Default 242 LS / 540 CI

Hey Formula,
I have a 1990 242LS that orginally came with the 454/365 motor. I repowered with a 540 motor.
This really brought the boat to life..

It is now for sale....moving up to a larger boat.
Excellent shape !
Stand up McCloud Bolster...factory option....
external steering...
Bravo rebuilt by Lake X facility..
Master Lube system
Halon system
EMI Thunder Big tubes
Float on Alumunium trailer
45 hours on New motor....

Interested???
E-mail me

Sheikman

Quick Reply: 242 ls single big block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.