Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
242 ls single big block >

242 ls single big block

Notices
Formula

242 ls single big block

Old 08-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Scott72

Sounds like a really nice boat. I really wanted a 242 when my Four Winss Liberator Burned up (rack storage fire) but my 223 came up cheap (it had a motor that took water), so I couldn't pass it up. As for my carb, Formula Outlaw, I did jet it down. Checked my vacum at idle and changed the power valve too. It runs pretty good, but on the rich side all around. Does have a slight studder getting on plain and does load up a tad at if idling for a while. I just think a 750-800 would give me a little more throttle response.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Formula454,
I have heard from people that owned them that the 242 with twin 350s was prone to porposing at almost all speeds under WOT. Cruising at 30 to 40 was said to be annoying due to the porposing.

Also, with twins comes those whimpy Alpha drives. They are not very strong and they do that "gear-grind" thing going into gear.

Another drawback is the absolute lack of space for maintenance back there. Just a nightmare to do any work.

If it were me, I'd look for a 1990 through 1992 (yes, they made the 242LS in '92) with a 502 and do a little building from there. Much better maintenance, lighter overall, less stuff to deal with and just as fast if not faster. There a few real beauties out there with 502s and nice bolsters too!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thirdbird,
I wouldn't doubt that being the case. I bet having twins is a maintanence nightmare! To be honest I drove a 242 LS with the 330 and the performance was great. Just looking for a little more power, but if you say that they made them with a stock 502 than I think we're in business. I'll have to look around! Thanks for the pointers though!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheikman,
is that 540hp or 540 ci? Is it fuel injected? Sounds like a great boat. Unfortunately I'm not going to purchase anything until at least next boating season, but I would love to see your boat if you have any pictures and if you can not sell it by then than I would deffinitely be interested!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never experienced porpoising with my 242-SR1 that couldn't be corrected with either trim or tabs. No problem cruising in the 30-40 MPH range, which was common for extended trips. I did have tie-bar from day one, so that wasn't an issue.Coming off a wave, it's almost impossible to land wrong with weight of the dual small blocks in the stern. Top speed with the stock 350mag twins is aprox. 67 MPH, which is faster than the same package in a 272. In general, I thought boat handled fine with twins.

I would agree completely that for maintenance it is very tight access with the twin small blocks. But, the 272 isn't much better, especially with twin big blocks, the 272 is probably worse.

Unfortunately alpha's are alpha's. I never ran into any problem with the alpha's other than the gimbal rings wore.

A 242 with a single 540 or 502 probably would be nice ride. Sheikman's 242 sounds like an interesting ride. But, personally I prefer twins.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:06 PM
Banned

I never had a porposing problem with my twin 242 either. Let's face it, twins in ANY offshore boat is going to be tight due to the narrow beam of these kinds of boats. My 302 with twin 468's is just as tight, if not tighter than the 242 with twin sbc's. Fortunately, I never had a lick of problems with the sbc's. The only thing I had to do was change the oil, and I took it to my marine mechanic for that.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Registered

Never had a problem with porposing in my 242 either, unless, like any boat, I had the drives trimmed too far out. I put about 365 hours on mine and never had a problem with the alpha drives, but then I wasn't making tons of horsepower either. I never had any shifting problems either. I personally like a "get home" motor. Yeah, it's tight, but I could change plugs ok, and do all routine maintenance myself. Sometimes you'd just have to figure out how to get to something. Changing one of the starters was fun. I ached for a week. But a 540 in a 242 does sound interesting. I'd like to know what that runs top end.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the porposing, just what I was told by others, no first hand experience. I'd go with what you guys say here. Those other bozos probably had no clue about proper trimming.

I will say one thing, a 24 footer with two potent little small blocks does sound pretty cool. Love to have the chance to pilot one someday

You guys are right about tightness in the 272 with fat blocks, its not pretty in there. My 311 has tons of room but then again I don't have transmissions in there. The engine compartment is one of the big reasons I picked the 311. Not too big to trailer easily too.

I had a 242 for 4 years. Its one of the best (if not the best) riding 24-25 foot boats you can get.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Registered

Thirdbird, couldn't agree with you more on the ride of the 242. I ran mine mostly in the North Atlantic, and that's never smooth. Couldn't even begin to guess how many times my props were out of the water and it always came down straight and true. Never ever got a feeling that the boat was out of control. I just felt like I could trust it. Could you imagine a 242 with twin blown small blocks? What a sleeper that would be.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Formula 454, keep looking every once and a while you see some nice ones for sale. I have 87 242ls with a new 454/350 boat rides along very nice. If you find one with more hp than350/400 this boat should really come alive. As for the swimplatform I think it looks great and keeps the noise level down. Where are you in new England , I am in western mass.

Sheikman, how about some pics.
Attached Thumbnails 242 ls single big block-img_0334.jpg.jpg  

Quick Reply: 242 ls single big block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.