Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Big Big Problems......need Advice! >

Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Notices

Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Old 07-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Big Big Problems......need Advice!

I have HUGE PROBLEMS NOW! I just bought my 94 29' Fountain as some of you know (and some don't) about 3 weeks ago. I put about 15 hours on it. Now I have a huge problem.........

I had the boat ready to go out for the 4th weekend on Friday and I headed out for the weekend. It was a bit colder out on Friday and the boat was running differently. At first I paid no attention to it as I thought maybe the temperature was the reason. I also posted in another thread about one of my engines not wanting to idle right at low RPM's which it was still doing.. but I didn't think it was a MAJOR ISSUE.

Anway I fueled up, and left the dock for about an hour to an hour and a half destination, and on my way I went. I had 2 of my uncles with me and we took off going about 50-55mph.....I got into a channel where the water was real calm so I gave it some more throttle and the engines weren't responding like they usually did..... I just backed it down and stayed at 55.......I was watching the guages and I noticed that my starboard engine water pressure was through the roof.......my guage was burrying 60psi.....then I was listening to the engines and something definitely sounded different......I guess I would describe the sound as somewhat like metal rubbing ....not loud just faintly........we were also smelling something at this point so... I shut her down to take a look under the hatch...........unreal.........I saw smoke coming out of the air breather/filter on the Starboard Engine.......not the Port where the water pressure was 60 so I was shocked. I'm no mechanic by any means so I didn't know what that means. I wanted to see what would happen when I tried to turn it over, so I did and it was turning but VERY VERY SLOWLY like it didn't want to turn over almost as if my battery was dead...........however it did fire up........then it stalled....I did it again, and it started again but this time when it did stall it made a VERY BAD NOISE as if it siezed up, I could hear metal for sure..........not a knocking but more like a metal clanging...........at this point I said, that's it for that I'm not going to try and start it again.........I had to drive 30 miles back to my house on one engine at about 8 miles an hour..........not good.........not good at all. Probably the worst night of my life............
To me I think the engine is blown and seized up.......again I'm not a mechanic so I really don't know what the problem is.
Which leads me to my real problem. I bought the boat "as is" no warranty...........however it was bought from a very very reputable dealer........I'm thinking I'm totally on my own with this one but some people say the dealer should fix it. I don't know if there is a law that says I have a number days if something goes wrong and the dealer would be responsible (like the Lemon Law) or if I'm really screwed here and it's totallly on me. Does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on? That's really it...........I think I'm going to go puke now............AGAIN!

Last edited by Dago Racing; 08-23-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Re: Big Big Problems......need Advice!

I would not count on the dealer handling it free. Mine did the same exact thing, no power, kept running, suht off, restarted fine, shut off agian, restarted - bang thunk. I ended up with a couple of valves in the combustion chamber. New head, pistons and $6,500 later things are back to normal. I did not have the water pressure problem but everything you said was exactly how mine went. Sorry about your problem but the more time you spend haggling about the $$$ the longer the boat is out of the water. You may be able to have the dealer pay for some but dont count on it.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

P.S. I would reccomend, Art Cook. He is on Harsens Island but he can take care of your re-rigging and engine work better than most. Sterling send customers to him for warranty work ect... (810) 748-8944
Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds to be like you learned the hard way about the Fountain Water pressure problems. My boat is at the me ch. right now getting pressure relief valves installed. from what i have heard you don't need much more than 15psi of water pressure to run the boat....I wish you the best and check into the relief valves in my oponin it is good insurance...BZ
Old 07-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I wonder if your water psi gauges are swaped at the dash indicating the wrong engine......

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Hows the engine oil look? Hopeing for your sake its the upper drive instead of the engine.... cheaper to fix but sux either way

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered

there was no water at all in my oil. I honestly thought the engine I drove home on was going to be the problem, because of that water pressure guage however maybe because the other engine wasn't working correctly it threw the Port side out of whack.......what the hell do I know. I'm just disgusted by all of it. I guess I should have bought new.........
Old 07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

sux man
Old 07-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
sounds to be like you learned the hard way about the Fountain Water pressure problems.
Nothing to do with Fountain, that's a Merc problem. Fountain just installs WP gauges as a standard, so we are more likely to notice it than the other makes that do not install pressure gauges.

Sorry about your problems DR. Run it past the dealer. Who knows, they just might help ya out. But remember, you did buy and understand it was an As-is, no warranty purchase.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:26 PM
VP
Registered

just saw your thread but don't know what you bought -

what engines are in the 29 ?

also -- this is a copy from your post of what you said --

".........I was watching the guages and I noticed that my starboard engine water pressure was through the roof.......my guage was burrying 60psi.....then I was listening to the engines and something definitely sounded different......I guess I would describe the sound as somewhat like metal rubbing ....not loud just faintly........we were also smelling something at this point so I shut her down to take a look under the hatch...........unreal.........I saw smoke coming out of the air breather/filter on the Starboard Engine.......not the Port where the water pressure was 60 so I was shocked..........."

I assume the high water pressure was indeed on the opposite motor -- but just wanted to check

Its a ***** to do, but i would crawl in there and pull each of your spark plugs. Number 1 cylinder is the left front -- 1, 3, 5, 7 are on the left side going back -- 2, 4, 6, 8 are on the right side going back --

pull the plugs then let us know what they look like (exactly) -- you may have to look very closely to see anything different or wrong -- for instance, if you were running really lean at mid-range throttle (which is very possible), you may have had some detonation and you will see little tiny metallic balls of aluminum stuck to your spark plug -- use a magnifying glass if needed --

anyhow - it may not be that, but pull the plugs and report back

Last edited by VP; 07-09-2005 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.