Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Big Big Problems......need Advice! >

Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Notices

Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Old 07-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Originally Posted by chambersgc
just saw your thread but don't know what you bought -

what engines are in the 29 ?

also -- this is a copy from your post of what you said --

".........I was watching the guages and I noticed that my starboard engine water pressure was through the roof.......my guage was burrying 60psi.....then I was listening to the engines and something definitely sounded different......I guess I would describe the sound as somewhat like metal rubbing ....not loud just faintly........we were also smelling something at this point so I shut her down to take a look under the hatch...........unreal.........I saw smoke coming out of the air breather/filter on the Starboard Engine.......not the Port where the water pressure was 60 so I was shocked..........."

I assume the high water pressure was indeed on the opposite motor -- but just wanted to check

Its a ***** to do, but i would crawl in there and pull each of your spark plugs -- take an 8" long piece of 2X4 and drill some holes in it to keep your plugs in order when you pull them out -- number the block of wood for each spark plug --

I'm sure it's a GM motor, so if you were sitting on the carburetor and facing forward, number 1 cylinder is the left front -- 1, 3, 5, 7 are on the left side going back -- 2, 4, 6, 8 are on the right side going back --

pull the plugs then let us know what they look like (exactly) -- you may have to look very closely to see anything different or wrong -- for instance, if you were running really lean at mid-range throttle (which is very possible), you may have had some detonation and you will see little tiny metallic balls of aluminum stuck to your spark plug -- use a magnifying glass if needed --

anyhow - it may not be that, but pull the plugs and report back
I have 502 EFI's.............it's at the dealer..........they are checking it out !
Old 07-07-2005, 05:34 AM
VP
Registered

Let us know what they say --

By the way -- did you happen to feel the exhaust risers when you raised the hatch that day, to see if one motor was HOT ??

when you have a water pump fail, the exhaust gets really hot quick - a simple check is to touch the risers (Briefly!!) -- when you have 2 motors, you can compare temps. and tell immediately if one is acting up.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dago Racing
I guess I should have bought new.........
New does not mean "no problems.".

I got a "great deal" on my boat because the factory mis-installed the engines, and the dealer never figured out the problem. The original owner got sick of getting stranded, and bailed (traded in on a different kind of boat). At 3.5 years old, I bought the boat for 30% the new price.

Only after taking the boat to Teague, and having the engines pulled, and pouring about $25000 into it, is the boat finally pretty reliable.

There is still a problem: the wiring from the dash to the trim and exhast cut-outs is too small guage, and so I burn up the trim pumps and cut-out solenoids all the time. So, the next BIG CHECK is going to fix yet another from-the-factory blunder.

So, I may not have such a great deal after all. But at least I really, really understand the issues.

I tried to buy a new boat from the factory with all the things fixed that were wrong with this boat, and the factory simply and rudely REFUSED.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chambersgc
Let us know what they say --

By the way -- did you happen to feel the exhaust risers when you raised the hatch that day, to see if one motor was HOT ??

when you have a water pump fail, the exhaust gets really hot quick - a simple check is to touch the risers (Briefly!!) -- when you have 2 motors, you can compare temps. and tell immediately if one is acting up.

Risers weren't HOT........Well they are pulling the engine out...........they THINK it's a blown head gasket and possibly an unseated valve........he said it was taking water in the cylinder. I can only imagine what they will find once it's apart..............I still don't know who's paying for it...........I'm assuming they will take care of it, I have my fingers crossed ! We'll see.

Last edited by Dago Racing; 07-08-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dago Racing
I still don't know who's paying for it...........I'm assuming they will take care of it, I have my fingers crossed ! We'll see.
I would not waste the time crossing your finger. I would be very suprised the dealer will pay. If this problem happened within the first hr or 2, I would say maybe. AFTER 15 hrs, not a chance.

If by the small chance he does I would make a BIG thread saying so & giving his name because he went way, way, way above & beyond.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:02 AM
VP
Registered

Well maybe all you have is a blown gasket -- that could give you the high water pressure reading you mentioned if indeed it was the same engine -- are they taking the Starboard engine apart ??

Also, I had an intercooler start leaking water into my motor, and had the same issue trying to turn the engine over -- turned over really slow even with plugs out - No oil on cylinder walls -- so the head gasket may be it.

When you get all done with this, you might ask the dealer to verify that the water pressure lines off the motors are going to the correct gauges -- he can pull the line off the Port engine probably easiest, then blow some air in it while somebody watches the left side gauge.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I would not waste the time crossing your finger. I would be very suprised the dealer will pay. If this problem happened within the first hr or 2, I would say maybe. AFTER 15 hrs, not a chance.

If by the small chance he does I would make a BIG thread saying so & giving his name because he went way, way, way above & beyond.
Well I'm not "wasting my time crossing my fingers" believe me if they try and charge me one cent my attorney will be handling this........I'm done screwing around with it for sure. I don't care if I had 2 hours or 15 hours this engine wasn't right from day one.......you don't just blow gaskets on a whim.....there was something wrong when I bought it... bottom line. Believe me they can keep it and I'll unwind the financing through my attorney, I'm not getting screwed on this deal .....noway no how!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered

Oh yeah and two pistons are fried to now after taking it apart ....one on each side of the block.........amazing..........I just feel like I was ripped off to be honest with you......very disappointing to say the least!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks ! But, I think you got more hours than I did out of your engines....Block,Crank,Pistons...All junk on mine.. Piss poor engine builder..maybe 7 hrs.....As Is....My problem
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Registered

Well we agreed to disagree............the motor is toast..........my options were to rebuild it or get a re-manufactured engine installed. It would cost me $5200 for the rebuild .......or $8500 for the re-man with a year warranty.................I'm going with the re-man ........and they are splitting the cost ! Not too bad I guess...........could of been worse..........good news is, it I will be back in the water next week!

Quick Reply: Big Big Problems......need Advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.