shorties on a single step >

shorties on a single step

Notices

shorties on a single step

Old 07-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shorties on a single step

Have any of you guys run shorties on a single step ? and have any pros and or cons. I am looking to switch from bravos to XRs with shorties.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: shorties on a single step

I had a 29 w/ a 525SC that I installed an Imco upper and -2 lower on - loved the way it handled - it tends to carry the bow level, no matter what the trim setting was. If you go with a shorty, you'll need a prop with bow lift and keep the bow light (i.e. keep the cooler towards the center/stern ). Also - you will not need to trim the motors as much - I never went past 4 - 4.5 on the trim. The shortie solved my planing problem and allowed me to step up to a larger prop.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

My boat seams to be a little slow , I have been told it is due to having ext boxes and a stock drive . ext boxes tend to put the drives deeper in the water. I will have to pull the inspection cover and see where the heights are set. then buy a - height drive.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I know for a fact the newer 2001 & up 35 X are aprox. 2 inches higher than my '99 35 Classic - this is why you're seeing 496ho boats run upper 70's - let me know how you make out.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered

I will keep you posted , I will call fountain today and see what the x demenison should be and go from there , I am working a deal to get new ones and trading my bravo's.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There has to be someone out there that has tried shorties on a '97 - 99 35 Single Step, that could share their results, I can not justify the cost without knowing for sure I'm going to have positive results.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

That is kind of what I thought. I get tired of being the one to buy and test and sell for half price when I fine I waisted my money. I buy props and as soon a some one knows I have them they want to try them. I snowmobile also and everyone wants to use my helix and springs and weights at my expense. Don"t get me wrong I like to help out But where is the guys that can help me out.??
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered

Well I got the boat on the trailer tonight and pulled the inspection cover on the ext box and sound that the box is mounted in the lowest hole bottom. I think this means the drive is higher, Can I go higher with a shorter drive or will I have problems getting on plane. The boat comes out like a jet ski now.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

If you can get on plane good now (like a jetski), you will probably lose some but still be respectable..
Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by carney
Well I got the boat on the trailer tonight and pulled the inspection cover on the ext box and sound that the box is mounted in the lowest hole bottom. I think this means the drive is higher, Can I go higher with a shorter drive or will I have problems getting on plane. The boat comes out like a jet ski now.
Are they Stelling boxes? When Fountain was installing Stelling boxes from the factory they used the top hole which raised the stock drive height 2". The engine was mounted 1" higher than stock.
Dan

Quick Reply: shorties on a single step

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.