Dash Help!!! >

Dash Help!!!

Notices

Dash Help!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash Help!!!

Hey guys I have a problem that is driving me crazy.WHen I bought my boat the old owner had an engine alarm on the starboard side go off for no reason.He said he checked everything but it would go on and off,so he disconnected it.Since I bought the boat I have a new engine with all new senders and a brand new engine wiring harnes.So I figure problem must be solved right.WRONG.Dam thing still goes off,has any one had a bad horn that maybe shorting out internally?I even checked the wire from engine to dash and it has continuity.I'm lost Now for my second question,I have two red lights just above my steering wheel,are they supposed to light when engine is running?and where should they be wired to?

1991 Fountain Fever
Thanks for the help guys in advance.
Nordic95
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those red lights are warning lights. they are part of the alarm warning system, the visual part. they should light when they key of either engine is cycled. and only stay on when there is a problem. as for the alarm circuit, fountains use 1 alarm and trigger it v.i.a the tan with blue tracer wire from either engine. i have experienced issues of signal jumping before on the beaks, and is usually contributed to by faulty relays which control the alarm horn or corroded wiring. check the senders on the other enige as well.

good luck.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
those red lights are warning lights. they are part of the alarm warning system, the visual part. they should light when they key of either engine is cycled. and only stay on when there is a problem. as for the alarm circuit, fountains use 1 alarm and trigger it v.i.a the tan with blue tracer wire from either engine. i have experienced issues of signal jumping before on the beaks, and is usually contributed to by faulty relays which control the alarm horn or corroded wiring. check the senders on the other enige as well.

good luck.
Both engine are new with all new senders and wiring harneses.Port engine works perfect but the starboard is the pain in the beak.I traced the wiring and both engines are seperate with seperate alarms.I think I may switch the alarms under the dash from one engine to the other to see if it is just the alarm itself.

Thanks Nordic95
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if he disconected the alarm the lights would also be disabled
check your grounds also
Bob
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never forget the neutral saftey switch. Took me a long time to find that one.

F
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nordic95
I even checked the wire from engine to dash and it has continuity.

But did you check the wire if it was also grounded? Shouldn't be, that's what triggers the alarm. I take it your alarm is the type with the buzzer and the small round timer as 1 unit, original '91 setup? The service manual has a check for that unit itself.

Both my lights lit up whenever there was a problem with either motor side. I rewired and separated those lights so now they are for that motor only. Seemed only right.