Fountain Air Scoops >

Fountain Air Scoops

Notices

Fountain Air Scoops

Old 09-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
MikeyFin, So you benefited from more air at least you determined you needed it. Rebels twin thread got a lot of response. Much talk of air in and air out, and ambient temps. In the boats I raced we tested to achieve ambient temp in engine box. Temp would go from 125 or more to ambient as soon as it came on plane. Best Wishes,
Jim
I think the gain came from getting the engine compartment temps down to ambient or lower at least than the hatches closed. Darn that I didnīt have the infrared temp meter at hand then..or my Thermocouples.
I donīt believe the engines make a vacuum in the engine compartment...If they did that might be made to stiffen the boat some ;-)
I would make at least as big air outlets as inlets in a boat just to be sure.
So after all the old style Blower hatches aint that bad as a design at least they let the engine comp ventilate ;-)
Old 09-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
I am just wondering that when Reggie placed the vents on a recreational boat, he probably did so with stock power in mind. Since I have 540s, running just under 100 mph - I would think the rules of game change. I checked the vents along the side of the boat that face forward. It seems they have a few holes in them, but would it make a difference if the black cowling was totally removed. That would allow more air flow entering from the sides of the boat. Has anyone tried this?
You have to get the air out too...so removing those cowlings doesnīt in my opinion give much of a gain.
As mobileMercMan stated try to get the engine room temp as low as possible.
The engine will then compansate for the fuel needed as the incoming air is denser and lower in temp... also not a bad idea to make a true Ram-air system for the engines.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one construct a ram air system? Is this something that is sold commercially or does it have to be constructed on an individually basis? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

he said ram