Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig. >

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Notices

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
Thanks to all.Its interesting everyones defination of big water is different thats why i used the water off NJ (where i intended to boat 100%) of the time as a reference point)Im really more concerned with the ability to run through large ocean water for a pronounced amount of time without destroying myself or the boat (something i could not due with the 31 Sutphen ) then getting wet (lack of freeboard)
I've boated in Lake Michigan and now in Galveston Bay. I have lived and boated on Long Island. My 42 Fountain is a great big water boat in anything that I have run through, 4-5's and rough, wake type water. Nothing is nastier than Lake Michigan because there is no wave pattern. You just have to learn how to drive it. We were out Friday in 4 footers and not a drop on us. But I have seen the Atlantic and Long Island Sound, some nasty big stuff, the Apache is probably the better boat, but if you want something that is fast, you will need big power to do it. Like the man said earlier, Fountains win races in the worst water. I would pick the boat that will satisfy your needs the majority of the time, nothing will work all of the time. There is no substitute for lenght, power, and weight.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

this deal with flying so flat is it better to buy one that is not staggered
Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Registered

Why not a 47 Fountain. It has a lot more room, runs almost as fast with the same power. Has higher freeboard to keep dry and is smoother.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pookie
Why not a 47 Fountain. It has a lot more room, runs almost as fast with the same power. Has higher freeboard to keep dry and is smoother.
...and is a true 42 footer.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am biased, so i say the fountain.

maybe a 12 meter v.s the apache would be a fair comparison as for speed , efficiency, ride , wetness and the like.
not everybody is racing. and no matter what is said not every body runs what or how they say. their are some but few.
i have run both. straight and steped for the fountain. i would say the only true upper hand for the apache is freeboard, and on the 12 meter or straight bottom 42 its close but the apache is deeper. this may make the trip's with those empty glass people slightly lesss likely to be moved around, but not for sure.
pound for pound i still say fountain.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

47S are real hard to find in my price range with number6s.Almost all on the board are tripple Bravos
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p.s heavy boats being better in the rough is almost like saying fatwomen are better on top.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you go Apache its hard to go back
Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
47S are real hard to find in my price range with number6s.Almost all on the board are tripple Bravos
Put a call in to Shogren in Waukegan, IL (chicagofountain.com). Tell them exactly what you are looking for and the price you want to pay. It may take a bit but they will keep their eyes open for you. My experience with them is that they are a pleasure to deal with (which is alone hard to find in the marine business) and also very honest. They are on the race and poker run circuit and everyone respects them, so they are likely to find what you want sooner than you could by yourself. They wont try to sell you something you don't want or get you to spend more than you want.

Quick Reply: 42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.