42 Lightning (Ebay)

Notices

42 Lightning (Ebay)

Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJDiesel

My son is 13 now, we are thinking that in another 2-3 years he will hate, and want nothing to do with us.

Wife on the other hand, she wants a 30-34 Express Cruiser

Things will come together, just not sure if will be this spring, or not.....

Long as the market holds or gets worse, I should have plenty to pick from!

Thanks again for the input.
THe older 38 scarabs, black thunders, donzis, and especially the BAJA 38 special have huge cabins.

PM and I can give a line on a 38 special that is a steal and is in perfect shape.

If I could afford another boat, I would be all ove rhtis one.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
When we run only 2 of his engines, same length boat, about same HP engines, he has seen 73. His is a little heavier, so 70ish is proably right for that boat.
Explain please...
Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

And another: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/546604522.html

That pretty much sums up that the Ebay guy's boat DID not see 70's, not if this guy is claiming the same thing on supposed blown 600HP.....

Thought on this one?

I'm not a fan of the arch.

1991 FOUNTAIN '42' LIGHTNING - $54900

There ya go!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

My son is 13 now, we are thinking that in another 2-3 years he will hate, and want nothing to do with us.

Wife on the other hand, she wants a 30-34 Express Cruiser

Things will come together, just not sure if will be this spring, or not.....

Long as the market holds or gets worse, I should have plenty to pick from!

Thanks again for the input.
If you have not moored a boat at a marina, I would avoid it in favor of something trailable. You will be shocked at all the hidden charges, etc.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
If you have not moored a boat at a marina, I would avoid it in favor of something trailable. You will be shocked at all the hidden charges, etc.
Oh, trailer is a definite. If only just based on gas prices alone. We were filling up at the local gas station this past summer for $2.47 a gallon vs. closer to $3.50 on the water.

Plus, I like to be able to walk out in the side yard and tinker, wash, whathaveyou.

The wife seems to forget the $3,500 a year in dockage, plus 75% more in fuel costs (stuck with marina fuel) associated with those style boats.
I'm not trying to camp out on the thing, just spend 5-6 nights a year out.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

Any express cruiser you get is not practical to trailer. You need to stick to the sport cruisers. My experience has been in the Chicago area, law enforcement is very sensitive to width. Almost every express over 27' is more than 8'6" beam and cannot be trailered without oversize permits (No weekends, no after dark, CDL required). There is a very limited selection of boats that are trailable, safe in big water, and have a usable cabin for overnights and weekends. I would make your friend with the 37 sport cruiser an offer. It's ugly but it gets the job done. Don't even try to run a "pocket cruiser" on big water. At the very least you will be a nervous wreck.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I would make your friend with the 37 sport cruiser an offer. It's ugly but it gets the job done.
Huh. Interesting thought. Thing is, they may not be in reality as to the actual value (considering condition).
I don't know though, I remember him saying something about the floor being soft (as in carpet holding it up) just before the berth. That coupled with the other unknowns about the motor rebuilds, non-working gauges and generator,........

Their NON-maintenance practices scare me. They tend to get hammered up and bounce the boat off the docks and whatnot.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

Well, then that may have not been a good suggestion. I just think there are boats that are the best of both worlds. You shouldn't have to compromise, especially with the market the way it is. You couldn't pick a better time to be looking. Also, you may be surprised, your wife may be happy with the cabin of one of the sport cruisers and you will spend a lot less if you keep the power reasonable. Who knows, maybe your 13 year old will want to invite all his friends out because he recognizes the unbelievable freedom of open water.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

Ah Ha!

I think I finally found something that fits the bill across the board, check it out:

Motors are queer looking with the older style flame arrestor shrouds, that can be remedied.......
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o20895-en.html

Comments, concerns, complaints?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

I bought my boat from Shogren. My experience has been excellent. That is a good boat for what you want and the price seems great for what you get.

Quick Reply: 42 Lightning (Ebay)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.