Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Fastest 29 Ever >

Fastest 29 Ever

Notices

Fastest 29 Ever

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rackster dont you have a fast 29 somehow I recall someone telling me you had one that was 100+?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the Crowd Pleaser. It is a friend's boat. I helped him with the set up and rebuilt many drives, trying to break 100. The hull is a 2004. It has the stock 525 now,and is much more reliable.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered

Default Set up

Can any one tell us more about there set up for all us others with 29s so maybe we can learn from them. I have 577 bulldog and will be adding a M3sc procharger to get some more speed. Wont be a 100mph boat but it will be faster than most. Thanks
Old 12-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rackster
That was the Crowd Pleaser. It is a friend's boat. I helped him with the set up and rebuilt many drives, trying to break 100. The hull is a 2004. It has the stock 525 now,and is much more reliable.
Rackster I have a 2005 hull with a -2 imco lower whats the setup on that hull to go fast? (std.length lower?) Is there any other tricks I would love to know, any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

The X dimension is already pretty high on that year. I don't think that you are gaining with the -2 drive. We never tried a short drive with the big motor,but we did try a -1" Imco with the 525. It was harder to get on plane and prop slip was increased (tach was malfunctioning,so I do not have exact numbers).
We got the best top speed with a 6 blade Hering and a standard Bravo XR, however the boat rode and handled better with a Maximus. The Maximus prop provides stern lift and frees the hull up (even the women on the boat commented on how much better the ride was).
The 29 has a lot of good qualities, but there are some major challenges with trying to make it run 100+. You are pretty much stuck with a Bravo style drive (unless you re engineer the engine bay) because there is not enough room to add a transmission. These hulls are fairly heavy for a single engine application, and put a lot of stress on the drive. I feel that horsepower(torque) and weight are what determines drive life. When you increase HP on a hull that is already heavy, it is hard to maintain reliability,but we still try
Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Registered

I have tried many different setups on my 05/ 29 hull. I had a bravo xr upper and a imco -2 lower with a 2" spacer which should bring the Xdim. back to factory spec. Interestingly enough it ran faster with a std. length bravo lower I think the shape of the xr works better because the "nose cone" on the imco tends to dig with positive trim.I also have tried a hydromotive P-5X/5 blade and it stern lifted so bad it would stuff the bow.These are just of the few setups i have tried.No setup seems to work very well (lots of prop slip) and yes you are correct this hull is extremely heavy 5800lbs dry. I am open to ANY suggestions or advice anyone can give is much appreciated.

Last edited by DIRT173; 12-27-2009 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
105Fountain (08-23-2023)