Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 Fountain Triples to Stagered Twins >

42 Fountain Triples to Stagered Twins

Notices

42 Fountain Triples to Stagered Twins

Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Reggie, I will give you a call in the morning.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Dean with the 1300s & sixs it should approach 130 mph.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I know two people that had it done. One on a 47 and one a 42, I know the factory did the 47 you might give them a call and see what Brian Forehand tells you for a price and about the process.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

thats crazy for a 47 .
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie Fountain
Ok, look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Dean with the 1300s & sixs it should approach 130 mph.
Great work! That's flyin' in a 47' anything!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Im re-powering my boat. I removed the twin side-by-sides and had the stringers re-done and the transom in order to convert to a single. It was very easy to do and cheap (a couple thousand $$, less than a week) for the fiberglass work. Its certainly as good as new.

You do realize that a plastic boat is made of lots of pieces all glued together. When doing something like this, you are really just changing the boat in the same process as it was originally built, so as long as you have fiberglass people who know what they are doing (not hard to find) the result is as good as the original.

I had the work done using the same vinylester and stitched glass as Fountain used originally.

The real work comes with rewiring, recabling, etc etc.

After playing on some outboard fish boats, I may change my mind and not install a mercruiser, but go for outboards. This would require yet more glass work, but as I said, its FAR cheaper to do massive reconstructive surgery than a single annual service on those inaccessible twins. FAR cheaper.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcrash
You do realize that a plastic boat is made of lots of pieces all glued together. When doing something like this, you are really just changing the boat in the same process as it was originally built, so as long as you have fiberglass people who know what they are doing (not hard to find) the result is as good as the original.
Are you sure it is?
Afaik, the structural strength of any GRP moulded part is higher when fabricated as a whole from the start.
Just think of the frayed edges of the mat, all interlinked and glued together by the resin during the lamination, throughout the whole thickness: such structural strength is lost where big holes are cut inside the same part, and re-filling/glueing them again can't bring it back completely.
That was the reason for my previous comment.
But maybe I'm missing something...?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy the triple. Sell the third engine package and it should pay for the conversion. Fiberglass repairs are no big issue for people who know what they are doing.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy the triple. Sell the third engine package and it should pay for the conversion. Fiberglass repairs are no big issue for people who know what they are doing. Shogren Performance has done this before. Give them a call.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

im doing 91 42 right now what would you to know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.