Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
First time Fountain owner with my first question... >

First time Fountain owner with my first question...

Notices

First time Fountain owner with my first question...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Fountain owner with my first question...

Hi guys, I recently became the proud owner of my first Fountain; a nice 32 with 525sc's. This is my first twin engine boat, and until this past weekend have had no real problems. My problem is I need to change the spark plugs in both engines; gas fouled them due to idling too long and being a nice guy and towing another boater home with a broken engine. Any body have any tips or suggestions on how to get to the sparkplugs between the 2 engines? The engines have the Gil exhaust manifolds and I don't see any easy way to get to them without some disassembly.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just take it out get it up to temp. and run it wide open for a few miles.Unless you have other problems they should clean themselves.I can be done I have never done a boat like yours but I believe you have to get them from underneath.Or you could pull one Manifold inspecting it for leaks would not be a bad idea.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered

I tried that Sunday on the way to the ramp to put it back on the trailer, the port engine cleared up but the other still runs rough. The plugs I removed from the outer banks of the engines were very black from too much fuel, from what I've read these engines are over jetted plus my carb's need some attention, the engines would load up with fuel if you let them idle to long and a couple of times they even died while shifting in and out of gear while docking the boat.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by JD33
Hi guys, I recently became the proud owner of my first Fountain; a nice 32 with 525sc's. This is my first twin engine boat, and until this past weekend have had no real problems. My problem is I need to change the spark plugs in both engines; gas fouled them due to idling too long and being a nice guy and towing another boater home with a broken engine. Any body have any tips or suggestions on how to get to the sparkplugs between the 2 engines? The engines have the Gil exhaust manifolds and I don't see any easy way to get to them without some disassembly.
I always relate replacing the center plugs on a twin engine boat to"pregnancy testing a cow " . A good animal vet has a long arm !
ed
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the front and from the back going under the exhaust. Not that hard of a job, unless you are a 'big' guy.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

I was able to get to them by removing the hatch lift and suporting it with a couple of 2x4's on the outer edges, I was able to stand in frt. of the engines and reach under the manifolds, not too bad of a job. While I was there I ran a compression check on both engines just to get an idea on the condition and both checked out good. I'll fire them up Thursday evening and see how they sound.
Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the boat.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Congratulations on the boat.
Thanks! I'm already looking forward to next spring!
Once I know for sure the engines are ok I'm going to pull them out and replace the valve springs, take care of a couple minor oil leaks and a few other maintenence items and be ready to go.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

congrats to a new MO owner!!!