29 Fever Goods & Bads? Boatless today !

Notices

29 Fever Goods & Bads? Boatless today !

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
Just wondering...

For a boat that will see occasional offshore use (for example, running to Catalina Island, or perhaps to KW from the mainland, etc.) does the redundancy of the extra engine make a twin SB boat a better choice than a single BB boat?

Given the choice, would you rather have twin SB's or a 496/502?

Just thought i'd add a couple of variables, here. I'm just researching for now, probably one or two seasons from purchase depending on how much I end up spending, but the whole twin Small Block vs. single Big Block keeps me double guessing myself.

I'm in AZ, so the majority of my boating will be on lakes and reservoirs, but whatever I end up in, I definately plan on seeing some real offshore action, and KW, etc. are definately on the list of places to visit and enjoy on the water.

FWIW, top speed is not a big issue for me, I just want a solid boat that can handle some moderately rough water should I encounter it.
Not for occasional offshore use it does not - twins create more than double the maintenance works as things fail in a staggered fashion.

Big singles are hard on drives though.

Uncle Dave
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Not for occasional offshore use it does not - twins create more than double the maintenance works as things fail in a staggered fashion.

Big singles are hard on drives though.

Uncle Dave
True but Im not sure about double, i mean a big 525 or larger with blowers is probably going to cost more to fix than two 454s or even 502s. And I would guess gas is not all that different. But you do have doube the chances of break downs, and two props, two drives etc, to worry about. But you always have a way to get back as well, which a Sea tow can run hundreds if not thousands depending on your situation.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My buddy has an older 29' with twin blue motors re-done at 600 each. He does 90mph on GPS...but man that thing is scary!
A ***** to work on...have to pull the motors to do anything. He's actually selling it for that reason and wants the same boat with a single.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ429043584

I heard that the Fountain stopped making the 29s with twin BBC because of the lawsuits with ppl crashing them at high speeds...but maybe that was a rumour.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soldier4402
True but Im not sure about double, i mean a big 525 or larger with blowers is probably going to cost more to fix than two 454s or even 502s. And I would guess gas is not all that different. But you do have doube the chances of break downs, and two props, two drives etc, to worry about. But you always have a way to get back as well, which a Sea tow can run hundreds if not thousands depending on your situation.
At minimum its double with almost 2 sets of everything.

Gas isn't quite double but it is more for sure.

it also means you have twice the chance of having a problem to start with.

Redundancy is always nice for sure.

Note: You can join sea tow for a few bones a year and the tow is included.

UD