New To Me 35 Lightning >

New To Me 35 Lightning

Notices

New To Me 35 Lightning

Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as I'm cleaning, polishing and looking/learning I have a come up with some questions. On the sea strainers there are dumps that run to the sides of the hull with ball valves. I don't see any pressure reliefs tied to it and I believe the thru hull fittings are below the waterline when not on plane. I am wondering if those valves are just for draining? Should they be open or closed?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

My setup is similar in regards to the sea strainer dump. I always ran with it open but always had water pressure problems when running on plane. What was happening is that air was coming back into the strainer when the thru hull was running above the water surface on plane. This would cause sudden loss of water pressure and resultant alarms going off. So, I keep the dump closed and my pressures came back to normal when at rest and running.

Your results may vary, so if you try closing the valves watch that you don't produce too much pressure. I'm running 496's with a single race sea strainer setup. Your 525's may have different pressure requirements and the fact that you have separate strainers on each motor make your setup slightly different.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Registered

What did you get out of her for top speed ? I always see claims that it will do 100mph, but no videos or anybody posting to prove it... Will yours hit triple digits ?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by okeefe20
What did you get out of her for top speed ? I always see claims that it will do 100mph, but no videos or anybody posting to prove it... Will yours hit triple digits ?
It should. I haven't gone for the big number yet but the tattle tale gps speedo recalls 100 from the previous owner.