Those who tow their 42 >

Those who tow their 42

Notices

Those who tow their 42

Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^ That gooseneck MYCO is really the way to go, nice set-up!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula1069
I don't even know she is back there
Towing and getting into gas stations in no problem (yes even the Wawa's and Sheetz) , nor is towing around town
The longer the trailer the easier it is to back up, the nicer it tows as well
I sell trailers for my business, so towing large is nothing for me
All depends on how good of driver you are
and as far as the previous post you DO NOT need a Class A CDL to drive them, you are not a commercial driver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566607[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566608[/ATTACH]
A lot of this is subjective. You live in a completely different area than the OP. AND you tow for a living, vs. a weekend warrior. AND you have a much larger investment in your trailer than the average person. AND a Sheetz or Wawa at 7:30AM is completely different than 3:30AM.

All I'm saying is: YMMV. (your mileage may vary)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gooseneck would be the way to go with that length!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I trailered my 405 from Jackson, MS to Pickwick, TN about 250 miles. Would never do it again, I have always used a commercial driver after that. But hey I'm a wuss.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whether or not it's a commercial vehicle is not relevant, at least in IL. Laws may vary from state to state but in IL Mike38Scarab is correct, you cannot legally drive a vehicle with a GVWR in excess of 16K lbs or tow a trailer with a GVWR greater than 10K lbs with a class D license, which is what you are issued to drive a car. The laws are very clear and can be found at https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/p...s/dsd_x142.pdf.. In fact the back of your IL class D driver license specifically states the maximum GVWR is 16K lbs. It's not hard to get the correct classification and is way less expensive than the fines. The only exception (besides being a farmer or firefighter) would be to have RV plates on the trailer and truck. I'm not interested in debating whether or not my 42' Fountain is an RV with a State Trooper so I took the test and got a class A license, which covers a GVWR in excess of 26K lbs and trailer GVWR of greater than 10K lbs. Just because you've been "towing for years without an issue" doesn't make it legal. And, I'm just not that lucky...

GF?

Originally Posted by Formula1069
I don't even know she is back there
Towing and getting into gas stations in no problem (yes even the Wawa's and Sheetz) , nor is towing around town
The longer the trailer the easier it is to back up, the nicer it tows as well
I sell trailers for my business, so towing large is nothing for me
All depends on how good of driver you are
and as far as the previous post you DO NOT need a Class A CDL to drive them, you are not a commercial driver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566607[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566608[/ATTACH]
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Registered

I pulled mine from Stl to Loto quite a bit, and from Cleveland to Loto. Didn't bother me a bit, but I drive semi and heavy haul. It would all depend on your experience.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zx14
Looking hard at 42' lightning, I will not be leaving it in the water, for those who tow, how bad is in dragging in driveways, gas stations etc?.."..
If you are referring to weekend and day boating then it will be a chore every time you wan to go out. Plus you will need ppl with you that have dock/ramp smarts. 42' is a big load to be hauling to & from the ramp every time you want to enjoy it. I would look for a lift in a marina or get yourself a hydro hoist. Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Registered

Nothing to it. Take your time and it will be second nature before you know it. A friend of mine bought a big camper a couple years ago and was scared to death to tow it so I took him out early on a few Sunday mornings when traffic was light and now he does just fine with it.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

It's all about the trailer. If it's on a good trailer with good brakes, it's not too big of a deal. If you're not going to do it often or haven't pulled 30' plus in the past, your going to hate it.

I hauled a 42 on a Tandem Dually Myco all over the country for a couple years. We didn't worry about a thing except a low fuel situation in the wrong area.

Keep in mind, a 42' Fountain fits on a trailer that measures 38' from bow stop to the rear of the trailer bunks. Sorry, Couldn't help it.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Just go ahead and tow it. Don't waste your money on an expensive trailer made from metal, forget the brakes, lights are a luxury, suspension unnecessary, forget the tie downs and you only need to drop a clevis pin loosely through a 1" hole for a hitch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566651[/ATTACH]

RR
Attached Thumbnails Those who tow their 42-img_5509.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.