Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Loto Vs The Great Lakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105926-loto-vs-great-lakes.html)

OU Want Some?!! 06-21-2005 09:43 AM

Re: Loto Vs The Great Lakes

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Yeah I agree. The weather would drive me insane up there. SOTW is my clear 2nd favorite Poker Run. The 1st obviously being Key West for the races and all out blast it produces. (Oh, and it's warm! :D )

I am pumped about SOTW this year. :cool:

OH,.....YOU WANT SOME?!!

..........so I'm kickin' this MTI's a$$ and.......

44MTI 06-21-2005 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by un ortho docs
OH,.....YOU WANT SOME?!!

..........so I'm kickin' this MTI's a$$ and.......

Then you woke up and realized it was only a dream that won't come true.

miamioffshore 06-21-2005 11:17 AM

Both are great, but for entirely different reasons, most of them have been covered. That being said, LOTO is THE place to be if you want a boat party that puts Havasu to shame, although LOTO is the dirtiest body of watre I've ever been in, very high fecal material count, when I was younger I couldn't swim in it without getting an ear infection every single trip.

OU Want Some?!! 06-21-2005 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
Both are great, but for entirely different reasons, most of them have been covered. That being said, LOTO is THE place to be if you want a boat party that puts Havasu to shame, although LOTO is the dirtiest body of watre I've ever been in, very high fecal material count, when I was younger I couldn't swim in it without getting an ear infection every single trip.

Yeah, I'd probably close my mouth in the water at LOTO, ESPECIALLY in party cove!

Canada Jeff 06-21-2005 02:21 PM

Does LOTO get rough? Lots of big boats, but is there any real skill needed to run them fast, or is it just boat wakes?

The great Lakes can take a 40 foot what ever and make her feel real, small real fast!!

44MTI 06-21-2005 02:37 PM

I'm sure you didn''t mean it the way is sounds, but that is almost comical. Sure you can get up and down the lake with out killing your self, most times. but if you want to run any speeds on a weekend you will definately need some skills. LOTO is probably the most busy water way per spuare ft of water out there.At leat half of these are 40+ ft crusers running wide open. It is not a wide lake but does have rock walls on the sides, so all these large wakes come right back at you. We passed a 65 foot Sea Ray running at leat 30mph leaving at least a 5 ft wake.All this along with the other cruisers. Pretty rough even in a 42' cat.

Sean H 06-21-2005 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
I'm sure you didn''t mean it the way is sounds, but that is almost comical. Sure you can get up and down the lake with out killing your self, most times. but if you want to run any speeds on a weekend you will definately need some skills. LOTO is probably the most busy water way per spuare ft of water out there.At leat half of these are 40+ ft crusers running wide open. It is not a wide lake but does have rock walls on the sides, so all these large wakes come right back at you. We passed a 65 foot Sea Ray running at leat 30mph leaving at least a 5 ft wake.All this along with the other cruisers. Pretty rough even in a 42' cat.

it doesn't take any skill to run that suv of yours does it? :D

the problem with LOTO is that the wakes just never go away, ever..... they bounce of the rock bluffs, the seawalls, other massive cruisers and then tear up my dock.... :rolleyes: so at its worse is it as rough as the great lakes can get at their worse? no way, we don't get weather related waves like you guys can, but it gets rough enough where you don't want any part of it sometimes...

44MTI 06-21-2005 02:47 PM

Not a problem in the MTI, but it will tear the bottom out of those Skaters and No Techs.

wrinkleface 06-21-2005 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore

Can't speak for LOTO( have never been there ) but up in the northeast part of Lake MI out of Charlevoix where I boat you can look down in the water and think you are looking at 5-8 feet of depth and then you look at your depth reading and it sez 15-20 feet, gorgeous waters! But, summer is short and the Lake MI water does induce shrinkage factor heavily! Wrink

JaayTeee 06-21-2005 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
Does LOTO get rough? Lots of big boats, but is there any real skill needed to run them fast, or is it just boat wakes?

The great Lakes can take a 40 foot what ever and make her feel real, small real fast!!

You get blasted from every which way.

That cruiser you passed a mile ago's
wake has just bouced off a seawall or
cliff, and will be slamming you in the
side anytime now :eek:

It's like driving around the inside of a washing machine
on "AGITATE" cycle.

Yes....skill is required.