Default Re: Cat vs. V

Tantrum, what size cat did you get?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD

tantrum got a 30AMT.

I'm looking to go to a heavier wave crushing type boat, but would definitely consider a cat if it rode nicely in my current waters.

A little OT, but I got my 24 Pantera from FT Myers. The test ride was in 1/2ft chop, so of course the boat was fine, ride wise. It's also usually fine in the Western LI sound, unless there is a ton of boat(40ft+) traffic, then its bouncy. And last week I took the boat along the south shore in the Atlantic for a 25mi ride heading east. Swells were 3-4ft from the South w/ a 1-2ft chop on top of it from the SW(kinda from my back/ quarter).
I had the wife and 2 kids(5 & 6) in the back. Was a bit unnerving w/ the family on board. With a bud it would have been more fun. Every boat has its limitations, and a 35ft cafe would have rode much better. Next time I shop, I'd like to see the boats in different conditions. I don't see myself cruising at 80+, but hey... who knows.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
I just moved to the dark side this year and I will never be back
Im not going to debate the size of the water because it is very subjective. What I will say is that we ran the NYC Poker Run and the 1000 Islands Poker Run and where never under 90mph in either.
However in BIG water Id rather be in a someone else's V at 60mph because I don’t want to beat my boat like that to prove…..well nothing. I feel for the conditions that I run my cat outperforms my V hands down.

As far as the insurance.
It comes down to weather or not you want to go fast. Fast to me is 100+. I did a little math before I bought my cat because people kept saying Oooh the insurance……
Well heres my thoughts, next Poker Run your at go up to the 100+ MPH boats and ask a few questions. First, how much do they pay for insurance? Second, how much did they pay for their boat? Third, and the big one, how much do they spend to maintain and repair BIG horsepower and drives?
Dollar for dollar you will not come even close to comparing the two. A 30 foot cat wins every time…. Comparing a 30 foot Cat and V is like comparing a cruiser and a sailboat, its not the same game.

If you would like, send me a PM with your number and Id be happy to BS with you about what Ive found.
my thoughts exactly. ditto.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport

Storm, the ride definitely depends on the passengers!

I have wanted a cat for awhile, but I could NEVER find exactly what I wanted(in my price range). 95% of my boating is done in 2-3' washing machine chop which is perfect for a cat. I don't need anything big for this water, a 24-28' would be perfect. But it seems like everytime I find something I like, it has wicked power in it. I don't want to go 120mph(well I do but I won't be able to afford to fix it when it breaks!) so I want stock or close to stock power. I'd be happy with 80-85 mph!

And Tantrum that was a great explanation!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Steve_H

wonder what the insurance man would say about this

oh, its a ponoon boat. no problem. $100./year

http://www.playcraftboats.com/speedrecord.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Cat vs. V-playcraft.jpg  

Old 08-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine

Here is a pic
30' AMT w/ 300x's

Since fuel prices came up,
The hauler ate over $200 worth of diesel and we paid 99.9 cent per LITER for fuel in the boat at the 1000 Islands Poker Run this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Cat vs. V-picture-060.jpg   Cat vs. V-picture-041.jpg   Cat vs. V-picture-3-118.jpg  

Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2003 Hustler Talon ,1997-TopGun

I cant speak for the smaller cats vrs deep Vs, however last week end we had the opportunity to ride in a 36' Skater.
All I can say is wow , with the same power we have in my 38' Top Gun we cruised the bay @ 125Mph gps 4 people @ 5000 rpms and we still had 25mph+ in her and I have never felt a smoother ride in my life, I really want one!
Now it was a pretty calm day and the owner Gary did make mention that he pulls her back a bit in the real rough stuff, as with my Top Gun, Gary stated that he can ride on top of most any conditions at speed, it's just not to cool on the passengers, but it will still handle it if you know what your doing.
I would like to own both if I could, because in most Cats you loose that extra space to carry most anything other than your passengers, and theres know usable swim platform, etc, not as user friendly as a typical deep V in my opinion.
But for a great ride and big effortless speed I have never experienced anything like a Cat, what a blast!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Reindl 28 Vamp, Reindl One Design

How about a 28' Bat? [email protected] (513) 706-3199.

Chris Reindl
Attached Thumbnails
Cat vs. V-vamp-air-world-champion.jpg   Cat vs. V-left-front.jpg   Cat vs. V-engine.jpg  

Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Reindl 28 Vamp, Reindl One Design

A few more shots. We have one in stock and new boats are six to eight months out right now.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Cat vs. V-left-rear.jpg   Cat vs. V-28-interior-backseat.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine

I love my cat BUT...The 28 Bat boat is a wild ride too. I rode in Chuck and Dianne's 28 and it is an incredible ride. Very efficient also.