Like Tree0Likes

May need Legal Help in Fl.

Reply
Old 11-02-2005, 07:21 PM
  #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
My Boats: None, but paid for one! Beware of Frisini / Sonic / Arrow Powerboats
Posts: 2,910
Default May need Legal Help in Fl.

Two weeks ago I contacted a transport company in Sarasota to pick up my boat at the Nor-Tech factory and start heading north to get it out of the path of Wilma. I started heading south with my own truck and had agreed to meet the transporter on the road and pay him for the distance he traveled. The transporter agreed to that arrangement, and said he was giving it to one of his guys and here is his cell phone number. Twenty minutes after he picked up the boat he was involved in an accident on I-75. Without going into all the details of the accident, the bottom line is is that the guy is running around hauling boats of all values with a personal auto policy. That does not cover hauling for hire He feels that I shouldn't be concerned because he feels the accident was the other guys fault and his company should be responsible for my loss. Unfortunately the other drivers insurance company doesn't feel their driver is at fault. Bottom line is... nobody will pay for my damages. To further complicate the matter.... the person who was hauling the boat doesn't even work for the transport company I called. He subbed the job out. I think all of the parties here share some of the blame and all everyone wants to do is pass the buck. The boat was ok with the exception of one scratch and a mark that buffed out, but my trailer was a total loss. $13,600.00 six month old Myco. Who can help me??? What should I do??? And will the end result be worth the aggravation??? Looking forward to everyones thoughts. P.S. Liability means nothing....Cargo Coverage is what to be concerned with when you hire a transporter. Get a copy of their declarations page before they touch your boat!!!!
Chuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 PM
  #2
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
drypipetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lake Champlain, NY
My Boats: 2008 Nor-Tech 3600
Posts: 3,452
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Were any tickets issued Chuck?
drypipetiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
My Boats: None, but paid for one! Beware of Frisini / Sonic / Arrow Powerboats
Posts: 2,910
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Tickets were issued to "the other driver" . I only know of leaving the scene of an accident. There was no contact between the 2 vehicles. The transporter was driving down the shoulder because of a previous accident had traffic stopped. The other driver pulled out of stopped traffic onto the shoulder and into the path of the transporter. He only pulled out for the sole purpose of shooting up the line of stopped cars. The transporter then proceeded to make an evasive move and the trailer jackknifed.
Chuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:14 PM
  #4
Registered
 
hillbilly24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,358
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Well It aint the other guys fualt. If there was no cantact and you hualer was the one to the rear it is defenitly his fualt. Last time I checke dit is illegal fo either of them to operate a vehicle in the emergency lane, what the hell kinda speed was your guy doing in the emergency lane that cuased him to jacknife?
hillbilly24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:16 PM
  #5
Registered
 
LostinBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Tickets were issued to "the other driver" . I only know of leaving the scene of an accident. There was no contact between the 2 vehicles. The transporter was driving down the shoulder because of a previous accident had traffic stopped. The other driver pulled out of stopped traffic onto the shoulder and into the path of the transporter. He only pulled out for the sole purpose of shooting up the line of stopped cars. The transporter then proceeded to make an evasive move and the trailer jackknifed.
sounds like the blame game is gonna take a while. Im not a lawyer but, Ultimatley, the person trailering your boat is (should be) resposible for the load so id go after him legally and if he wants, he can go after the other driver.
My boat was also at the nortech factory and came through without a scratch.
LostinBoston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
  #6
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member
 
Wobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2950'49.74"N 95 5'17.55"W.......TEXAS
My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet
Posts: 6,706
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

I would say that the company you contracted with is responsible. Regardless of whether the subbed it or not. It was their responsibility to make sure the sub driver was insured and licensed if they really subbed it out.

Who did you pay?

They may have a bond with the state if they are a state licensed hauler.

Good luck
Wobble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:54 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

I would have to go "Angry Italian" on that A-Hole I hope it woks out for you.
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:01 PM
  #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
My Boats: None, but paid for one! Beware of Frisini / Sonic / Arrow Powerboats
Posts: 2,910
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly24
Well It aint the other guys fualt. If there was no cantact and you hualer was the one to the rear it is defenitly his fualt. Last time I checke dit is illegal fo either of them to operate a vehicle in the emergency lane, what the hell kinda speed was your guy doing in the emergency lane that cuased him to jacknife?
He crested a hill and traffic was at a dead stop in all lanes. He moved to the shoulder to avoid the other cars and was braking when the other driver pulled out in front of him.
Chuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:01 PM
  #9
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
My Boats: None, but paid for one! Beware of Frisini / Sonic / Arrow Powerboats
Posts: 2,910
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I would have to go "Angry Italian" on that A-Hole I hope it woks out for you.
thanks
Chuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:03 PM
  #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
My Boats: None, but paid for one! Beware of Frisini / Sonic / Arrow Powerboats
Posts: 2,910
Default Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinBoston
sounds like the blame game is gonna take a while. Im not a lawyer but, Ultimatley, the person trailering your boat is (should be) resposible for the load so id go after him legally and if he wants, he can go after the other driver.
My boat was also at the nortech factory and came through without a scratch.
I agree, but his whining like a little biotch.
Chuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hardin Marine
New Products and Member Discounts
16
07-15-2008 01:51 PM
whywait
General Boating Discussion
10
09-18-2005 09:51 PM
gdfatha
General Boating Discussion
1
05-29-2004 11:35 AM
LapseofReason
General Boating Discussion
32
06-30-2003 08:20 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.