Notices

Boat Stereo System 101

Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boat Stereo System 101

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Thanks unsane. What would you suggest for the cockpit speakers, head unit and amp?

Like I said in my previous post, the only thing that I have already purchased is the 4 Babb speakers which will be installed in the cabin. Here are their specs:

30 oz. magnet
80 watts rms continuous
300 watts peak
4 ohm impedance
91 db SPL@1W1m
Ok here's a few things I came up with for the cockpit minus the headunit.

JBL MS610 speakers with the GT75.4 amp
JBL MS620 (higher power speakers) PX300.4 amp is best but GT75.4 will work also.

Rockford Fosgate 162C(coaxial) or 162S(component) using their T15004 or P8004 amps

Kicker KM10 using their KX650.4 or KX850.4(better)

JL Audio M770CCS (component) or M770CCX (available 2006--coaxial) The closest JL amp is the e4300M but it's a little low on the power, any of the above RF amps will work as well.

Now for headunits, it's really a tossup. None of them are really that powerful and will run out of juice very quickly. You'll need to figure out what your needs are such as XM, MP3's and so on. Clarion has a lot of headunits more Marine use so check them out. Let me know if you have any more questions. Glad to help.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly
Install a quadraphonic 8 track!!
Yup you can probably get Biggus to part with his........
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
id be more worried about how to de tune those big motors than stereo right now

way too much motor for his driving abilities....
Old 12-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Craige. Get in your truck, start driving North on 95. When you get to MA then get off on Rt 4 and 225. Left on Walsh, honk horn, sit back and have a beer.

From our conversation the other day, my suggestion is for for the keep it simple.

Speakers, going to stores and listening to them is almost a complete waiste of time. They will sound TOTALLY different in the boat. Unfortunatly going with what we know works in that boat is impossible as they are no longer made. Unless you are willing to take some stuff apart to run wires you are going to be looking at Coaxial speakers. Replace the speakers in the cabin as you already thought with the Babbs. Run them with the ADS as they will sound better that way and that amp will work well in that aplication. For the cockpit get a pair of 6X9's or 6" rounds and replace the ones under your bolsters and put another pair under your back seat.

Amplification. You have the ADS for the cabin, get a very efficient 4 channel amp for the cockpit. You want efficient so that you do not need to go with more batteries damn boat is heavy enough as it is... For what we talked about 25-50 watts should do you fine.

Head unit: I think replace that unit and go with a Clarion or Sony. This way you can have the hard wired remote. Most of the new units will have aux inputs and allow you to hook up Ipods, some have docking stations available that allow you to even control them.

Wire the front RCA's to the ADS amp, and the back RCA's to the cockpit amp. This way you can fade to the front or rear or run them all at one time. If you want you can put a toggle switch in there to turn off the amp that you are not using....

Jon
Old 12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
Why? Did he finally step up to a reel to reel!!!???
Nope transistor radio all the way baby!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

I bet most guys with big systems would tell you that boats and big music don't do well together. I would set a reasonable goal and keep it simple. The wires, connections and well everything need to be as secure as possible X2.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The professionals in the mobile audio business may disagree but I would use that ADS amp until it dies. The output was usually under rated and they are very reliable, especially the older ones built before the company was sold to Directed.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Registered

Old School: Check out Harmon/Kardon's Drive+Play for you iPod connection.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:15 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Craige. Get in your truck, start driving North on 95. When you get to MA then get off on Rt 4 and 225. Left on Walsh, honk horn, sit back and have a beer.

From our conversation the other day, my suggestion is for for the keep it simple.

Speakers, going to stores and listening to them is almost a complete waiste of time. They will sound TOTALLY different in the boat. Unfortunatly going with what we know works in that boat is impossible as they are no longer made. Unless you are willing to take some stuff apart to run wires you are going to be looking at Coaxial speakers. Replace the speakers in the cabin as you already thought with the Babbs. Run them with the ADS as they will sound better that way and that amp will work well in that aplication. For the cockpit get a pair of 6X9's or 6" rounds and replace the ones under your bolsters and put another pair under your back seat.

Amplification. You have the ADS for the cabin, get a very efficient 4 channel amp for the cockpit. You want efficient so that you do not need to go with more batteries damn boat is heavy enough as it is... For what we talked about 25-50 watts should do you fine.

Head unit: I think replace that unit and go with a Clarion or Sony. This way you can have the hard wired remote. Most of the new units will have aux inputs and allow you to hook up Ipods, some have docking stations available that allow you to even control them.

Wire the front RCA's to the ADS amp, and the back RCA's to the cockpit amp. This way you can fade to the front or rear or run them all at one time. If you want you can put a toggle switch in there to turn off the amp that you are not using....

Jon
Real good solid info!!!!
Jon thinks like I do.
Craig, call me. I have the $ hook up ya know!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
.............I have seen alot more speakers blown by under-powering them then over-powering them.
Um......yeah. What caused them to "blow" if it wasn't too much power?

Quick Reply: Boat Stereo System 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.