A disco ball would go well with the "rich corinthian leather"

Attached Thumbnails Boat Stereo System 101-tgcabin5.jpg  
Old 12-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Boat Stereo System 101

Originally Posted by OldSchool
OK, Thanks Jon and Unsane for answering that question!!

Next question:
Would it be a better option for me to still use eight speakers, but to run two speakers to each channel of the 4 channel amp?
What I mean by that is wire each pair of speakers (cabin front, cabin rear, cockpit front, cockpit rear) in parrallel. From what I understand, if I use speakers with a 4 ohm impedance rating, that would knock them down to 2. Using this method would give me fade control, wouldn't it?

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to build some kind of superduper system here, just a nice radio. I really don't have the room for multiple amps.
You DO NOT want to run that amp that you have in a 2 ohm load. It will not last long if you do. If you want to go that way then replace the amp, get a 2 ohm stable one. I actually prefer to keep the ohm load above the amps min. In other words if I was to go with a 2 ohm load the way you are talking about I would look for an amp that was 1 ohm stable in stereo. This way you will know you are not working the amp within a inch of its life.

NEXT

Jon
Old 12-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great answer Jon,

One last thing to consider is that amps that are stable to low impedances are considered high current amplifiers. Bear in mind that efficiency must be taken into consideration if you are planning on being able to run the sound system without the engine running. Bear in mind many boat alternators are only 65 amps and that most boaters dont use their boats often enough to leave the dock fully charged. If you have a hungry amp, you may not be able to satisfy its appetite to get the benefit it was designed to provide. Alternatively, you may always have dead batteries and no sound.

My suggestion would be to run two amplifiers and switch off whichever is not needed as you choose. Regular amps are less expensive than high current amps. Regular amps seem to last longer as insuffient power tends to burn them up and they consume less juice so you can play more music.

I have small amps blowout priced from $75.00.

Andy Buzz
Maximum Audio
Tampa, FL
813-882-8477
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon I think he was wanting to run all the speakers off the JBL amp which will do 142 watts x 4 at 2 ohms. Doing that off the headunit would be pretty stupid, every month at least one of my students come up to me and ask why there home stereo quit at their party. I ask how many speakers did they hook up to them, they say "all we could find" and I say "here's your sign"
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Jon I think he was wanting to run all the speakers off the JBL amp which will do 142 watts x 4 at 2 ohms.
Actually, I was thinking of using the Kicker KX650.4 or the JBL GT75.4 amp, with a pair of 6.5" coaxials in the front of the cockpit and a pair of 6 X 9's in the front of the rear seat base. Liike I said, all that I have bought as of now is the 4 Babb speakers for the cabin. I'll decide on what speakers for the cockpit, get them and then worry about what amp and head unit to buy. There is plenty of time left until boating season!!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea, I forgot you Yanks have off seasons for things The JBL GT amp I told you about is the one that does 143 watts. The Kicker amp might be strong enough to run all 8 but I would just run the cabin speakers off the headunit and the cockpit speakers off the amp. 6x9's or co-ax's will work great for the bench seat, but the placement of the speakers in the front might be bad (like on my boat) and that's when component systems come in (seperate tweeter). Can you post pics of the cockpit speakers?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unsane he has the typical Top Gun setup with the speakers mounted btwn the bolster legs.

Jon
Old 12-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Now I remeber why I do not have sound systems in any of my boats. Too much money and effort. Only our pontoon has tunes and I never turn it on. I prefer the the sound of the wind, waves and big fast V-8's.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ordered my cockpit speakers yesterday...went with the Kickers.

One question about amps. I've narrowed that down to two. Does anyone have any experience with these:

JL Audio Model e4300M Price $349.99 45W X 4 rms @4 ohms

Precision Power Model DCX300.4 $229.99 50W X 4 rms @ 4 ohms

Also, JL has a e4300 (not marine) for alot cheaper. Is getting the marine version worth it? Where I'm mounting it is in the cabin...it will never get wet.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

bump

Quick Reply: Boat Stereo System 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.