Like Tree0Likes

Drive stand project.

Reply
Old 05-29-2006, 12:25 PM
  #41
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera1
Wow those are nice but man thats alot of work for something that gets covered with grease and overspray.. I made one in less than an hour out of 2x4's that ive been using for 5 years now .. The top has a slot you can sit the skeg in or flip it over and has a larger hole for the upper to sit in ..
Ill get a pic later it was easy to make and has been used to rebuilt and paint a variety of different lowers
You are correct that a lot of effort went into building these but these were intended to be more than something that was to be covered in grease and overspray. They were built to be sturdy well built pieces of equipment that would last and be a nice addition to a shop. There are people that will spend money on snap on equipnent and boxes and there are people that will buy tools at Walmart and carry them around in a cardboard box. It's all about what you want. You won't find too many pieces of equipment built from 2x4's where these stands are going to be.
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 PM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: LOTO Performance Boat Center
My Boats: Fixing yours
Posts: 3,897
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 1
What kind of parts do you need to wax and polish?
NOW, Gichyass busy and make something shinny while you're waiting for the parts!!!

The boat is already bright and shiny. I waxed it when it wasn't so frign hot! I love your boat. Are you going to keep that color scheme? It is sick
Magic Medicine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 PM
  #43
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
The boat is already bright and shiny. I waxed it when it wasn't so frign hot! I love your boat. Are you going to keep that color scheme? It is sick
Thank you and yes. I am going to put it back the way it was.
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:07 PM
  #44
Registered
 
el indio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,855
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 1
Thank you and yes. I am going to put it back the way it was.
I dont believe that!!!!!!!!!!!!My money says it will be much better then before..........Rogers work is second to none.I know the old owner and he kept it nice but Roger is a real live perfectionist...........has done work for my company and work for me personally..............mark.......
Attached Thumbnails
Drive stand project.-winch_stand__bow_stop_030__medium_.jpg  
el indio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:43 PM
  #45
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el indio
I dont believe that!!!!!!!!!!!!My money says it will be much better then before..........Rogers work is second to none.I know the old owner and he kept it nice but Roger is a real live perfectionist...........has done work for my company and work for me personally..............mark.......

Thanks Mark.
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
  #46
Registered
 
Pantera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Winnipesaukee
My Boats: NorTech
Posts: 3,457
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 1
You are correct that a lot of effort went into building these but these were intended to be more than something that was to be covered in grease and overspray. They were built to be sturdy well built pieces of equipment that would last and be a nice addition to a shop. There are people that will spend money on snap on equipnent and boxes and there are people that will buy tools at Walmart and carry them around in a cardboard box. It's all about what you want. You won't find too many pieces of equipment built from 2x4's where these stands are going to be.
No I put my cornwells in my strap on box .. But thats alot of work for shop dollies.. The one I made out of two by fours actualy holds them in place so you can work on them. And it doesnt scratch the paint as you dont have to set the drive on the cav plate.. They look real perty though , nice job
Pantera1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
  #47
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera1
No I put my cornwells in my strap on box .. But thats alot of work for shop dollies.. The one I made out of two by fours actualy holds them in place so you can work on them. And it doesnt scratch the paint as you dont have to set the drive on the cav plate.. They look real perty though , nice job

Thanks. These were designed with storage and transportation as a priority and not so much working stands. That's why they are built this way. I wanted to be able to move the drives around without worrying about them tipping over and getting damaged or injuring someone. That's why they are as heavy as they are and have a low center of gravity and the larger casters. I am, however, doing the prep work for painting my drives on them and they provide a very stable work platform. As far as being a lot of work for shop dollies, I could'nt agree with you more. My projects have a tendency to take on a life form of their own.

Roger
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
  #48
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Biggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Naples, Maine
My Boats: 02 Cigarette Mystique T/S
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Nice work Roger! I love overkill, that's they way to roll!

...ps. Thanks for the call the other night. I really appreciate your advice and concern. You're a good man.

Kurt
Biggus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 PM
  #49
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Drive stand project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus
Nice work Roger! I love overkill, that's they way to roll!

...ps. Thanks for the call the other night. I really appreciate your advice and concern. You're a good man.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt, hang in there and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
  #50
Registered
 
lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Miami, FL
My Boats: 41 apache
Posts: 1,359
Wink Re: Drive stand project.

Great work Roger!!!
lucy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
waconda
Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
10
10-23-2008 09:45 PM
Bilgerat
General Q & A
0
04-02-2007 10:24 AM
Bilgerat
General Q & A
0
04-02-2007 10:24 AM
Von Bongo
General Q & A
2
12-02-2003 02:12 AM
Krumbsnatcher
General Q & A
39
11-17-2003 10:47 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.