Old 12-18-2005, 01:51 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 1998 Aquasport 205 Oosprey
Default Re: My New SL 44 ( 44 ft )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanspeedracer
Why are people pounding on this guy? Did I miss something?

Seems to me to be a very ambitious project, congrats for trying something away from the mainstream.

Besides, it's his boat. I usually reserve the right to talk sh!t about a toy only when it sits in MY driveway.

Bryan

Well said
Old 12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
SUPER-LITE
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2007 SL44 ( Liquid Technologies )

The electrolisis problem have been solved for years.Aparently you have not theard about all the military aluminum boats and the thousands of saltwater fishingbaots ,tour boats etc. the process hascome a longways in the last 10 years,ships are aluminum in europe itis used quite often. All the white water race boats are aluminum.Noise can be handled with either foam or sound board 3M make alot of products for it.This is NOT a splash of anything Pics will come as soon as I get my son to resize them and you will see. This boat is made not to flex and the welds will not break ,I am sure there are Aluminum fishing boat manufactures back there ,visit there shops and see the advances in aluminum construction.
Yes I have a ballest tank up front . The COG is very low as the 200 gal fuel tank is in the keel,the motors are low also. A lot will be know after it gets into the water. There are litterly hundreds of of aluminum boat manufactures on the west coast that have been building boats for 20 +years and I think I talked to at least half of them before starting this project. I don't ever leave my boat in the water more than a day or two at a dock.
I know there is a lot of concerns that only time and testing will tell after all it has to handle safe and run the speeds I want safely. I really think the time is right for this kind of boat if we can keep the price right ,there is an unbelievable amount of hand labor involved. Will keep you all posted with pics as it comes along.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24 OUTLAW

How many people are doing the work on this boat? Looks like they have their sh*t together! Looks nice! Cant wait to see inside shots.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanspeedracer
Why are people pounding on this guy? Did I miss something?

Seems to me to be a very ambitious project, congrats for trying something away from the mainstream.

Besides, it's his boat. I usually reserve the right to talk sh!t about a toy only when it sits in MY driveway.

Bryan
Couldn't have said it better myself!!! Some people

By the way, Nice looking boat!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Lip-Ship Cigarette 700 Zuls

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalhouse
You should be able to price it really cheap since somebody else did all the R&D on it. Style by fountain and the efficient and proven bottom of a 42 Outerlimits.

I would be proud of copying 1000's of hours of other peoples hard work!

Keep up the good work, maybe next year you can tool up a 47, I hear that Outerlimits has a good bottom....
amimal... why dont you go build your own boat instead of buying someone else's thousands of hours? give the guy some credit where credit is due.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32 Doug Wright, 21 Eagle

Please post for pictures! That thing is bad a$$. Thanks for posting something new on OSO.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

I do not see an issue with an "Aluminum" boat in salt water or any sea conditions.

I have hundreds of customers that have aluminum boats that sit 365-24/7 in salt water and they do not leak or crack and they run in the big seas of Alaska, fishing, diving and transporting. The Canadian RCMP boats are made from Aluminum and so are a large number of the US Coast Guards.

You have electrolysis problems in boats that are not bonded properly and have a dissimilar material composition. This is far more of an issue with a "Carbon Fiber" boat than any other form of boat manufacturing. The carbon is notorious for causing the I/O’s and any accessories to rot off in no time. You do not need “Salt Water” to have an electrolysis problem.

I am not here to defend Wayne in his boating endeavor, but just because a lot of people here are not familiar with the process does not mean it is not an excellent process of boat building.

Aluminum manufacturing is a quicker, less expensive means of getting a boat to market or a one off boat made. It is not a splash as there is no mold and possibly it is not feasible to create the exact same product in aluminum as fiberglass, hence the design that Wayne has is his own.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 42' Fountain SOLD

Whats Broward mega yachts use?????????????????
Old 12-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Awesome Project!

I sure hope if proves to be a great boat. Competition is a wonderful thing.

It does have that Fountain Poker Run look on the side / rear photo. Looking forward to additional photo's, and hearing how she runs.

Good Luck

P.S. Here are some pictures of an Aluminum boat taken this year at the Lake Cumberland poker run.
Attached Thumbnails
My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-dsc08638.jpg   My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-dsc08636.jpg   My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-dsc08637.jpg  

Old 12-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Just a few more shots of the boat we saw at Cumberland. It had Pulse drives and seemed to run very well.
Attached Thumbnails
My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-dsc08643.jpg   My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-dsc08642.jpg   My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-dsc08640.jpg