Like Tree0Likes

Cat Killer !

Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: Cat Killer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
ding ding ding, we have a winner... perfect analogy

The anology isn't even close. The cats were just as fast as the V bottom. Sam Hornish would have to run his cars against 240-250 mile an hour street cars to be a good analogy.

The difference is the V bottom had proffessionals in it and the cats were non canopied pleasure boats with non professionals in them. Yeah that's real safe!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 35' Fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVE
Well, I guess I better weigh in on the race boat thing, since I have been invited back to the Chicago Poker Run by all the great friends we made while we were there last year. After 20+ years on the circuit, I decided to take it down a notch or two and try poker running.I thought it would be fun to take the boat to no pressure events, with no politics, and just meet a lot of new people, show off my stuff and run my boat to have fun, not compete. Hell, I even stopped for lunch! Very different than racing I tell ya.... Wyatt Fountain and I ran the boat about 80-100 mph at best. We got passed many times, but couldn't care less. We were having a ball. When I was at the docks prior to leaving, I saw some of the iron these guys had and said holy crap, we're gonna get embarrassed.But it did not matter, because we did not come to race. Only to have a fun day. Our twin 750 Mercury Supercats were definitely not the largest motors there, believe me. And a bunch of the cats took off at the start, never to be seen again.
We had fun running alongside of other boats giving them a close look at a race boat with them waving and snapping pictures the whole time. I was loving it, and it wasn't about the speed. It was about being there,not having to run balls to the wall, being treated as friends by people we've never met, and getting a chance to run with a whole bunch of other boats with the same idea of having a great,relaxing, enjoyable day.
We relaxed so much that Scott Sjrogren and Wyatt and I almost went to Canada, I swear I saw a maple leaf flag, until we realized that we missed a card stop.
And a word about safety if I may....we went into the event as we go into a race. Switliks, helmets, emergency air. We had them, so why not use them. Between Wyatt and myself we probably have 40 years racing and boating, so I think we were highly qualified to bring our race boat and use it in a safe and courteous manner.It is fully insured, so don't be afraid to run next to me.Take lots of pictures, we love it. I imagine not many people get a chance to ride alongside of a World Speed record holder and Super Vee World Champion, side exhausts screaming, boat riding as if on rails.
It's all about fun. And I had a ball, and will have another one at this years Chicago Poker run. The problem (?) of having a raceboat come to your poker run is not the raceboat's problem. It does create some kind of excitement, seeing something up close that you would ordinarily not see.The real problem is the people in that raceboat and how they conduct themselves.If they think they are there to race, well,maybe they should go back to the racecourse.That's how people get hurt.
I am looking forward to returning to Chicago and see all my new friends from last year. And I think they all would like me to bring The Rio Roses back again.

Regards to all,
Rich Troppoli
Rio Roses
Rich,
Thanks for the kind words. It was great to have you and the entire Rio Roses crew at the inaugural running of the Chicago Poker Run. Your letter shows the true spirit of the sport. If someone's first or last it does not mater. It's all about a fun safe day on the water with friends. Look forward to seeing you guys in July.

Dan
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Registered

My Boats: '99 Formula 382 Poker Run Special/'05 Formula 260 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike
Seriously Redog382, Rio Roses and Speed Racer ran fast up front away from others...what is your point! Actually from what I heard and read was Speed Racer started in the back and ran fast through all the Poker Runners to catch up to Rio...so Speed is who you should be getting so pizzy with.
I'm really sorry that you don't get my point Mike. It's not about Fountian or Speed Racer, or whoever else is fastest.

As an ER physician. I have seen all to many people die prematurely.

Speed is an addiction. Six years ago, I lost my best friend due to a tragic accident that involved an addiction of another form. He had beaten that addiction for 18 years, but it killed him in the end. He died alone in front of Subway in a parking lot at sunset in Key West. Life has not been the same since.

Seven years ago, I was the first official to arrive at the scene when the tire came of the CART car at MIS and three people died. When the news reported recussitative efforts were initiated on one individual, that was me at work. I was there when Roger Penske personally spoke at the Critical Incident Stress Debriefing for MIS employees. The man had tears in his eyes as he spoke to his employees because it happened at "his" track. He showed class.

I arrived at Grand Haven Saturday evening last July and my heart sank when I heard the news of the accident. I doubt I could have made a difference if I had been there personally.

I love speed and performance boating, too. But life can change/end in an instant. My point is this ... are egos, bragging rights, and macho BS really worth the risk we take running at these speeds? I would think that you of all people would understand my concern.

It is more concerning to me as a professional that a boat builder would promote this kind of competition in a setting not prepared to deal properly with an accident. There is a time and place for everything, and a open course with recreational boaters and general public is not the place for it.

If someone wants to "crush the fleet", do it on a closed race course where you are not risking other peoples lifes.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 35' Fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by the duke
Cig's comment that race boats shouldn't be allowed in poker runs makes no sense. there are probably only a few race boats that can run anywhere near the speeds that the big cats can run. So what would that accomplish? Next is he gonna say that Cats shouldn't be in poker runs either because they are too fast?
I agree that Skip's comment did not make sense. I understand that he wants whats best for the sport but banning race boats is not the way to do it. The question is where would the rules stop.

We had 3 race boats at our event last year. I would love to see more this year. I think they add a lot of excitement as do the custom painted cats & V-hulls. The race boats that were at our event last year were not racing!!! They were out for a fun ride on Lake Michigan with friends. Why should they not be allowed at a Poker Run?

Dan
Old 06-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic
The difference is the V bottom had proffessionals in it and the cats were non canopied pleasure boats with non professionals in them. Yeah that's real safe!
WRONG !!!

Randy Kent was running SpeedRacer. He is an OSS SCL DRIVER. Sounds professional to me. Race boats crash all the time, why would you all think racers would be safer in a POKER RUN?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by masher44
Why are the MTI guys so pissy on this thread?

because a beak boat gave them a run for their money poor guys
Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

Heres a idea-lets have a poker run but with a few changes:1. for safetys have it on a closed off course 2. To keep it fair to the other "poker runners" put all the different boats into "poker run classes" according to top speed of boats entering. 3. passengers probably wouldn't be a good idea as they might get hurt if a boat crashes so only 2 people per boat,a driver and a throttleman,besides,passengers would only slow you down.3.Give the winners points so they can accumulate them on all the "poker runs" they go on to see who's fastest overall. 4.get rid of the card stops and use the money that used to go to the card winner for prize money for the fastest boat (s).. Now THAT would be a "poker run" to see,you could even charge the spectators to watch, ,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 06-21-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDog382
I love speed and performance boating, too. But life can change/end in an instant. My point is this ... are egos, bragging rights, and macho BS really worth the risk we take running at these speeds?

It is more concerning to me as a professional that a boat builder would promote this kind of competition in a setting not prepared to deal properly with an accident. There is a time and place for everything, and a open course with recreational boaters and general public is not the place for it.
I can appreciate your point about life changing in an instant. I've seen a 40 mph death because of a stupid driver action, and I saw Dale Earnhardt die at 180 mph on a race track in a race car. My point is that it can happen to anyone anytime by doing something wrong, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You said that you love speed and performance boats but then when Fountain comes out and says that he was faster than Cats, you say its wrong. You can't have it both ways. If Fountain was wrong in a race boat, then how wrong was Speed racer, and all the other boats that were running at speeds above 150 mph?

I'd say that the race boat was a lot safer place to be at that speed than any other boat on the course. How fast was the SOTW boat going when he made the mistake. My understanding was it was no where near 150. So the speed didn't cause the accident.

What difference does it make that Fountain bragged about his speed? Just because he's a boat builder? If one of the cats had run 200, and bragged about it, everyone would say wow, thats really great. When its printed that Jet Set runs 180+ in an open Cat in Extreme Boats everyone thinks its great. But just because Fountain said it, its not okay.

Again, I appreciate your opinions as you see the worst in the ER, but People have been bragging about there boat speeds for ever, and they always will. Fountain doing it is no better and no worse.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH BAR
WRONG !!!

Randy Kent was running SpeedRacer. He is an OSS SCL DRIVER. Sounds professional to me. Race boats crash all the time, why would you all think racers would be safer in a POKER RUN?
No, I'm right. That's ONE cat, notice I said cats...How many of the other 120 mph plus cats had professional drivers?

I would also guess a professional driver would be a bit more adept at driving at higher speeds in a race preped boat vs your average Joe in a high speed pleasure craft.

Last edited by Fanatic; 06-21-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic
I would also guess a professional driver would be a bit more adept at driving at higher speeds in a race preped boat vs your average Joe in a high speed pleasure craft ?
Exactly!!! If I had a Million dollars, I could go out tomorrow and buy a 150 mph Cat, and go poker running with it.

And a hint. I'm no more qualified to drive that boat than I am to fly a 747