Like Tree0Likes

Cat Killer !

Old 06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

My Boats: TUFF 28
Default Re: Cat Killer !

The press release is one sided, where is the MTI guy being interviewed and saying "yeah, we lost" or is it like they said "we ran back and forth for the lead". In a poker run as a spectator the observer dosent know when a boat is at maxium effort or just playing. A race we understand, a poker run... not enough information to go on.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike
Yes for me to speak on motorcycles about safety because a lot of people do not wear the proper safety equipment. Motorcycles are far more dangerous than running a canopied boat at speed...
I'm not off base and this will be my last post on this thread as I am quite comfortable with my position on this,

First off I NEVER said speed was my issue with this incident, it was the statementand as Fred stated it will be up for debate for a while I'm sure, but to me dealing with insurance companies daily i know the lenghts they go to to save money. Ask any person that has gotten cancelled as their tag was written down at a drag strip, you can say it doesnt happen but i've seen it first hand. My rates went up 10% this year for no reason, I have no claims, am 42 years old have a spotless driving record, own two business and pay more tax than the avg person.

Secondly to address your issue of speed, you state yourself that your accident happened when another driver came in your space, the canopied race boat is the only boat on the water? So I guess the other 100 or so participants werent there? We are indeed comparing apples to apples and you are just wrong.
These are the limits of my policy from Ace, if you want to verify them call Sy goldberg;

" No coverage is afforded under this policy for any loss or damage caused by or resulting from any accident during any race or speed test"

With foolish statements flying around and the insurance company trying to save 150k just on my boat alone, do you realize if they denied the claim how much a person would have to pay to fight them in court? not to mention all the costs of fixing the boat if you lose and even to keep up payments and insurance during the down time? all they have to say is you were on a "poker run" and according to this statement it is a test of speed. "claim denied". so the next statement is how will they know you were in a poker run, well sure enough, there is enough pics around and people talking...In case you didnt know the majority of private investigators are employed by insurance companies to track fraud. then you get nailed for filing a false report? wouldnt it be better for a few people to just restrain their egos instead of potentially ruining things for everyone...think it can't happen, go to mcdonalds and spill some hot coffee on yourself.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 06-21-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Since I am a speed junkie and believe in do as I say, not as I do. I don't think anybody can say with a straight face that is very safe to drive down a four lane open public highway at 170mph. It does not matter if it is a race car driver or joe blow. It is the unknown public and hidden hazards that make it dangerous. That is why at nascar races and other racing events they do not let the public run out on the track with them and if something comes on the track, they make the racers stop till it is cleared. I drive everyday on the Turnpike in oklahoma ( because we have all the turnpikes) and I hit 110mph everyday that it is not raining, but I won't get on here and say that it is the safest thing to do. My point being is that when I hear that some boats were running 170mph at a open event I think cool. and then I think about how big of a opening they seen to throttle down like that with out worrying about a bass boat or sea doo coming out of nowhere.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain

[QUOTE=offshoredrillin]
Secondly to address your issue of speed, you state yourself that your accident happened when another driver came in your space, the canopied race boat is the only boat on the water? So I guess the other 100 or so participants werent there? We are indeed comparing apples to apples and you are just wrong.
QUOTE]

offshoredrillin since you have brought up my motorcycle accident and like to compare it to this speed display between Speed Racer and Rio Roses at the Jax Poker Run you need to know I was going around 35mph verified my the police officer that was right behind me. I was wearing a full face helmet, Sidi boots, Kevlar/Carbon fiber gloves and blue jeans. I lost my entire left leg. The driver of the van took a left hand turn right into me. Now that you know the facts how the hell does this compare to the Speed Racer and Rio roses speed display and a F'n poker run?!?!?!

Speed and Rio were way out front of all the other poker runners. How in the heck did they endanger your insurance premium? Geesh get a grip dude...first you jump all over Fountain (namely Reggie and he was not even in the boat) for going fast at a Poker Run but you forget there were 2 boats in this speed display and lots of others way behind them doing well over 100mph.

Ok so I get it you do not want anyone to go fast on the water in there boat so that they all will be safe...yeah right....I've seen 40mph boat accidnets kill and or hurt people...which brings me back to my motorcycle accidnet..I was only going 35mph!
You are so way off base on this whole dang thread you seriously make zero sence.
Back to work for me...see ya!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICK
1. No one was injured at the Jax Poker Run.

2. I'm not aware of any close calls with spectator boats or dangerous incidents. In fact there was little boat traffic other than the poker run participants.

3. I personally enjoyed seeing the new Fountain race boat at the event. I wasn't alone in that respect. It was nice to see some industry personalities. Reggie, Skip, Mike Fiore and the NorTech boys. It all adds color to the event.

4. As a participant in the event, I just don't see all the "safety outrage" being tossed around in this thread. The speculation of outrageous or dangerous driving just didn't happen.

5. If you're point is you think Fountain press release is inappropriate or poor judgment, that's another matter. If insurance issues as a result of the press release are your hot button, again, that might be debatable.

But as far as a race boat at a Poker Run and all the speculation of reckless behavior, this post is just so much hot air.

Score one for the Reggie publicity machine. Once again he has everyone talking. Brand recognition and top of mind awareness are much sought after.
Good write up.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Two years from now when your Insurance Policy states something like:

"No coverage when participating in any form of organized Poker Run,"

I'll be sure to bring this thread back to the top, because you are seriously going to see a decline in Poker Run attendance if they are being touted as SPEED COMPETITIONS and the Insurance Carriers get wind of it.

Its time for some responsibility now, or we are going to drive our hobby out of affordable existance. I don't have any problem with the speeds or some fun amongst friends saying "Hey, I'll bet you a round of drinks tonight that I can beat you to that next marker."

However, if you are purposely going to show up to a non-race event with the full intent of turning it into a race event; and then PUBLICIZE it by writing a press release/article (can't wait to see next month's Fountain advertisements); this is cleary a mistake. Have any of you ever met an Insurance Underwriter? They seriously sit there and research reasons to deny writing policies and paying claims. Why are we feeding them information as fast as it can be printed and posted?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-21-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Two years from now when your Insurance Policy states something like:

"No coverage when participating in any form of organized Poker Run,"

I'll be sure to bring this thread back to the top, because you are seriously going to see a decline in Poker Run attendance if they are being touted as SPEED COMPETITIONS and the Insurance Carriers get wind of it.

Its time for some responsibility now, or we are going to drive our hobby out of affordable existance. I don't have any problem with the speeds or some fun amongst friends saying "Hey, I'll bet you a round of drinks tonight that I can beat you to that next marker."

However, if you are purposely going to show up to a non-race event with the full intent of turning it into a race event; and then PUBLICIZE it by writing a press release/article (can't wait to see next month's Fountain advertisements); this is cleary a mistake. Have any of you ever met an Insurance Underwriter? They seriously sit there and research reasons to deny writing policies and paying claims. Why are we feeding them information as fast as it can be printed and posted?
Insurance companies don't write policys based on press releases. Nor do they write them based on what is on OSO or in any magazine.

Its written all over all of them how fast these boats are, in every ad, every boat test etc. Powerboat does all their test in open public water. Some at speeds near or above what was run in the Poker Run.

What difference does it make if Fountain puts out a press release saying they are faster than Cats, compared to Fountain/OL/Cig, and many others running ads in every magazine saying how fast you can go in their boats. You don't really think that the insurance companies are dumb enough to think that when a Fountain and an OL happen to be out on a weekend together, that they don't go for it to see who is faster.

The current Fountain ad for the 38' Lightning is 2 pages in the front of ever magazine. It screams that you can do 103+ in 30pt font. I guess that is wrong too?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO

Thought this was "semi" apropriate. Don't mean to hijack your debate.

Over the years on OSO myself and the rest of you have heard a lot of cryin about "the old days", "Real offshore", "Ocean Racing" ...CIG vs Fountain vs OL
Who is the king of offshore.
Many of you don't care who is the fastest on flat water "it's the ocean that tell's the true story".

WELL HERE IT IS. CALL YOUR MANUFACTURER AND TELL THEM TO BRING THEIR BADEST RACE BOAT OR RACE/POKER RUN BOAT TO CLAIM THE TITLE

NO MORE WHINING OR or BS PRESS RELEASES

PUT THE DRAMA TO REST: FOUNTAIN IF YOU TRULY THINK YOU CAN BEAT "SPEED RACER" CALL HIM AND CHALLENGE HIM. There will be no denying the winner his claim to the title here. They'll be some other BIG CATS that will enjoy running the "CAT KILLER" .

CIG we all know you have a secret weapon waiting to surprise us all!!! The "old man" upstairs created our sport on these Ocean Races.

OL...THERE IS more of your "Heavy duty hardware" that can handle this job than any other Manuf. You guys have a very impressive program and many Loyal fans. Don't let them down!!!!

THIS IS A SANCTIONED RACE NOT A POKER RUN. ALL Proffessional SAFETY rules will be in place for High SPEED BOATING. HELO"S, DIVE TEAM's MED boats, Cleared course.

NO ENTRY FEES FOR OSS/OPA/SBI 2006 Registered members.

Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Assoc. (POPRA) with Event sponsor AMF Offshore Racing.Com are proud to bring back a piece of offshore history with the return of the Catalina Island Rum Run. This is a 75 + mile offshore race from the Queen Mary in Long Beach Harbor to Catalina Island and back. Originally held in 1911 this event is steeped in history and promises to challenge all who enter.

The pits are scheduled to open Friday July 7th located directly in front of the Queen Mary. Hotel rooms have been blocked for racers let them know you are part of the event. Air travel to and from the event is very easy book your flights to Long Beach airport and take a shuttle of call us and we'll make sure to arrange pick-up.

We are expecting a good turn-out for our first event as an independent club and appreciate all of those teams that are going to travel to be with us. OSS Teams we will hit the road Monday AM for the 2500 mile run back to Toronto. We should make it by Thursday without much problem.

Last edited by Maximus; 06-21-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 08' 44 MTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the duke
Insurance companies don't write policys based on press releases. Nor do they write them based on what is on OSO or in any magazine.

Its written all over all of them how fast these boats are, in every ad, every boat test etc. Powerboat does all their test in open public water. Some at speeds near or above what was run in the Poker Run.

What difference does it make if Fountain puts out a press release saying they are faster than Cats, compared to Fountain/OL/Cig, and many others running ads in every magazine saying how fast you can go in their boats. You don't really think that the insurance companies are dumb enough to think that when a Fountain and an OL happen to be out on a weekend together, that they don't go for it to see who is fster.
If they don't care if we race or not, then why does my policy state explicidly that races void coverage?
If you think that the insurance companies sit and a room and count the income from these premiums, you are dead wrong. I had a friend get a cancellation notice from Markel after seeing the spread in Hot Boat on his boat. These are not assumptions on my part but facts that myself and many are having to live with and press releases like this won't help the situation.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Cool Re: Cat Killer !

Will the Offshore Only film crew be there????????