Like Tree0Likes

speed racer and cat boys

Old 06-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Default Re: speed racer and cat boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstaaa
then why is his vessel on record at 156. the same stat sheet that callans pass was on.

156 , 175, almost 20 there,,,,,,, ?????
Randy Kent#5 Speed Racer from EBM - 9- 05
It just seems to get bigger and better every year. This year we were really looking forward to setting a new record. As it goes, the boat had it, driver error kept us from it. On our first pass on Saturday, Randy Scism was throttling for GC Motorsports as well as for me in Speed Racer. GC Motorsports went 5 boats ahead of Speed Racer and I found myself waiting on Randy Scism to return from GC's first run. When we finally got to the starting line and Randy Scism started to throttle, the boat wouldn't come up on plane. I looked at the tachs they were only at 3200 rpm on the sticks were mashed all the way, I suddenly looked at the boost gauges and noticed that they where pegged at 20psi. Randy Scism noticed that I left the trim tabs all of the way down, My Bad! You see, If I don't lower the tabs all the way down the boat will idle it 18 mph and cause a big wake. I simple forgot to raise them before the run. Smoke started to pour from the shifter console and smelled like melting rubber. After raising the tabs we hit 141mph. Having no time to go back and check the belts we got right back in line. This time Speed Racer started to hall ass. Half way through we lost all boost on one of the motors, we lost a belt because of the previous run. Although we still hit 154mph at half track, Speed Racer would have done 170 plus easy! But we will have to wait for next year to find out because Sunday we found that we had computer problems. Do you believe in fate? Something was telling me it just wasn't meant to be...hopefully next year. RK
Old 06-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered

My Boats: 162 scout flats 90 merc

lj42 when does a pleasure boat run 150+ i call that a race boat at that speed .
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Cool Re: speed racer and cat boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain1fan
lj42 when does a pleasure boat run 150+ i call that a race boat at that speed .
http://www.superboat.com/events.cfm?...=details&ID=68
race boat or pleasure boat....who has the nuts to go play with RF?????????
Old 06-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain

In my book Speed Racer is a race boat with out full canopies. Weather any of you like what Fountain did, like Fountain boats or not Reggie Fountain is getting a heck of a lot of publicity and keeping the Fountain name on everybody's lips. Good PR lesson.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Scout 222 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blume
I don't care whose faster......what I don't like is this race ready BS...I grew up on a lake and have been in the ocean several times. When a boat pulls up next to you, you go. Wide open is wide open.
Some people obviously don't understand the concept of what it takes to maintain high HP blower motors in a PLEASURE application. We go to poker runs all the time with the boost down and the "docking props" on a friend of mines boat. It is ridiculous to go to every run at 10lbs of boost and 1400 HP when you know what can happen. We are just as happy at 4-6lbs of boost hanging back with around 1000HP.

Some people may have endless pockets and not mind being down most of a summer because of running wide open all the time. Most people I know go to poker runs for fun not to race. There are always several people that are there to race, those are the ones that make it dangerous for everyone else. There are plenty of race circuits they can participate in, be it the one that Reggie bought or one of the many others
Old 06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Cool Re: speed racer and cat boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcut3
Some people obviously don't understand the concept of what it takes to maintain high HP blower motors in a PLEASURE application. We go to poker runs all the time with the boost down and the "docking props" on a friend of mines boat. It is ridiculous to go to every run at 10lbs of boost and 1400 HP when you know what can happen. We are just as happy at 4-6lbs of boost hanging back with around 1000HP.

Some people may have endless pockets and not mind being down most of a summer because of running wide open all the time. Most people I know go to poker runs for fun not to race. There are always several people that are there to race, those are the ones that make it dangerous for everyone else. There are plenty of race circuits they can participate in, be it the one that Reggie bought or one of the many others
I understand what you are saying about boost and race gas and 1400hp to 1000hp. but if you drop the hammers when someone pulls up next to you....no excuses. It was your decision to run. Most important issue here is, HAVE FUN, run hard and keep your passingers safe.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Reggies speed was very impressive!! That is very fast for a V bottom "RACEBOAT". Speed Racers speed is also very impresive for a "PLEASURE BOAT". I would love to see Reggie put his "RACEBOAT" against a cat "RACEBOAT" like David Scotts Budweiser Select or Callen!!! I love to see a race on an even playing field!! It would probably be more exciting if the other guy knew he was going to race Reggie so he could be prepared! Hopefully we can all see a FAIR race soon so Reggie can impress us further!!
Besides the closed cockpit, how different is SR compared to Bud Select or Callen? Just because he has a $50K++ paint job instead of numbers?????
Old 06-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Outer Limits 51'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fun 2
It seems the word fountain = the word apache.

Never happen.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Registered

Why is this so hard to understand. The V showed up with race engines on full boost making 1550 hp per side. The Speed Racer Cat may be the same hull as the race boats however with an open cockpit. Driver and passengers were not aware they entered a race. SR was running pump gas at around 1200 hp per side. The cat passed the V twice! Clearly was faster using less horsepower. Because it was not on the trash video the V must be faster right? In what real world are pleasure Fountains passing the big cats at Poker Runs? In what real world are the Super V's outrunning the Super Cats??? In fact at Poker Runs I have been to, the fastest V's seem to be the Outerlimits. I personally have a lot of respect for Fountian powerboats, they are very fast v hulls for the money.

Like my Dad would say "Even a garbage truck will go fast if you have enough horsepower".
Old 06-30-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Why is this so hard to understand. The V showed up with race engines on full boost making 1550 hp per side. The Speed Racer Cat may be the same hull as the race boats however with an open cockpit. Driver and passengers were not aware they entered a race. SR was running pump gas at around 1200 hp per side.
You saw inside the engine compartment on Rio??? You must be the only one, because I don't believe the hatches were ever open on that boat.

You know what boost SR was running? Really? did you count the teeth on the pully's, top and BOTTOM?

Point being, NO ONE knows what HP thes boats were running except the person that set them up.