Like Tree0Likes

New Formula FasTech pricing - WTF!?!?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: New Formula FasTech pricing - WTF!?!?

I sill can't understand why it's so expensive to build a boat. The prices of new boats today are absolutely out of control. Let's look at the some of the builders out there....OL, Cigarette, Nor-Tech....these guys are making BANK!!!

I still can't figure out how a boat costs $500K and can be built in 8 weeks when a $500K home has 50X the material and 50X the man hours to build and takes 6+ months to build????? There is something seriously wrong with this

I can't afford a new boat with a pricetag of $250K, nor would I ever want to spend that much on such a depreciating asset. If I was wealthy, I guess that would change

Last edited by Semper Fi; 07-25-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I sill can't understand why it's so expensive to build a boat. The prices of new boats today are absolutely out of control. Let's look at the some of the builders out there....OL, Cigarette, Nor-Tech....these guys are making BANK!!!

I still can't figure out how a boat costs $500K and can be built in 8 weeks when a $500K home has 50X the material and 50X the man hours to build and takes 6+ months to build????? There is something seriously wrong with this
simple, it's demand.... people are willing to pay for it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
simple, it's demand.... people are willing to pay for it.

You are corrct, but for the majority of the people out there (including me) probably 95%+ of us can't afford to pay those rediculous new boat prices
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I will build you a 28 and guarantee that you'll love it or I'll buy it back and add 10%!
Plus it's faster, smoother, safer, bigger, way more custom and better looking than the little 271 Formula!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Registered
Gold Member

After the really bad experience I had with my 2000 271, (and Formula) I am all done with them, and that was my second Formula at the time. I have to agree, that is one proud price for that - or any - boat in that size range. I know you can get a 271 w/ a 496HO for a little over a $100k but that boat is a dog with 425hp, so a 525 is the only way to go to make it run. I'm not looking to beat up on Formula or you guys that buy them - but chit - that is insane!!! And yeah, they are all getting expensive - $850k for a 39 Top Gun with big power, $989k for a 42' OL w/ 850's... $250k for a 24' Skater - and it's all white too!!! Makes NorTech's almost look like a bargain, they are a hell of a value anyway - relatively speaking. But at the end of the day, you can't take it with you so... might as well spend it on boats!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:03 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousOne
Talk about standing behind your product! Wowza!

You think that Formula MSRP is crazy........ This is absolutey out to lunch IMO....... http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-3698.html

No way in hell.......
that skater was advertised at 170 something at one time as retail... they must have added a real nice trailer....
Old 07-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Registered

Even at 170K it better give me oral when I'm drivin it....
Old 07-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Registered

My Boats: not shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I can't afford a new boat with a pricetag of $250K, nor would I ever want to spend that much on such a depreciating asset. If I was wealthy, I guess that would change
Not to brag and considering the company I'm in for the most part not really that big of a brag! I deal with people that have high net worths and considering in my business 5 out of 6 ventures fail, around 84% of those who invest in penny stocks on the VSE (not much better since its become TSX) lose their money. My entire life I've watched people make and then lose millions of dollars! It's one thing to have money, with money and net worth you are rich my friend!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 AM
NRG
Registered

If building a boat was so easy, then why are so many of the companies having hard times? I think it is a lot more expensive to build these boats than everyone thinks. I do not think these prices are high because of demand, but because it costs a lot to build - and it seems that it takes more than 8 weeks, more like 6 months to a year.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG
If building a boat was so easy, then why are so many of the companies having hard times? I think it is a lot more expensive to build these boats than everyone thinks. I do not think these prices are high because of demand, but because it costs a lot to build - and it seems that it takes more than 8 weeks, more like 6 months to a year.
Quite frankly, it's no where near what the price indicates. I spent 5 years working at a composites manufacturer who specializes in aerospace composite primary structural design and manufacture. I know material costs, labor costs, and tooling and equipment costs in this field fairly well...I've designed and managed the construction of many high-tech sophisticated structural components, and it still baffles me why boats cost as much as they do....it's all about flash, and "because I can."