Like Tree0Likes

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Old 10-16-2001, 04:09 PM
stingray

Wink

Whew!! SIMMER DOWN NOW, SIMMER DOWN!! Bryan (Donzi22zx) buddy if you carefully read my post I too was a believer and still am but not to the degree as before. All the above by various respondants is not a good indicator all is well with what could possibly be a mfr who has seen better days.

One can assume ALL mfr's at some point will take a hit from an individual with a outside the norm problem. But in light of several stories and the "I know a friend who knows a friend" stories normally associated with our favorite whipping dog, Bayliner, it makes one begin to re-think our "impression"...

As far as standard equipment lists comparisons are concerned, all that simply means is you're gonna pay want'em or not and I don't see the benefit in that. What matters in that respect is does the interesting boat "OFFER" the option/s, what's the price on the option and most importantly with the same options installed, what is the overall price???? The goal is to "PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET" yeah I know that could mean really cheap price really cheaply made boat but that's an extreme end of the reason pendulum...

As far as the warranty stuff is concerned, I don't think there's any difference between one warranty or the other. They seem to be pretty standard in writing. What matters is whether or not the manufacturer will belly up to the borderline stuff if it's not buyer induced. Look at Active Thunder, now offering a lifetime hull warranty to the original owner. That's impressive and until they start hedging on that on more than one occasion, I think they hold the warranty title of being the best until others step up...

Frank, didn't mean to imply you particularly are jumping ship due to quality etc. but you are one of the more known customers to the Donzi admin guys. But Simple-Joe in the mid-west might not get the service because he/she doesn't know the cronies personally. Also big pricing is an absolute non-factor in boat quality or in ANY merchandises quality. Just like in the grocery store you're gonna pay a little extra for the known label attached to it. I believe there are an awful lot of deep pockets being taken to the bank and all i can say is better them than me....

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Old 10-16-2001, 04:19 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 Donzi 33ZX
Reckless, I knew I would find you here, your phone is busy! Must be booking that cruise! LOL

Good points, just like old times in the winter, can't boat so we might as well OSO!
I agree, you get what you pay for.
Bayliner, I only know one Bayliner story, they are the best tow rigs around when your ass is broke like mine was! I salute all Bayliner owners here....

I still say there is more to the story, I just emailed several people I know at Donzi, of course I will tell you what they said.
Bryan
Old 10-16-2001, 04:43 PM
stingray

This is turning into a good post and I hope no one takes any opinions or curiosities personally. But for some mfr's it's time to call a spade a spade......

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Old 10-16-2001, 04:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
donzi22zx, the wind screen problem i'm talking about stems from how they bond the lower fairing on.they lay down the bonding adhesive drop the fairing on then run some long screws into the side of the fairing down through the deck,than they put a little filler in the recess on top of the screw head.usually their not deep enough to hold the filler and they start to blister.i've only really seen it on boats 28' and up.sounds to me like you have a design problem or your boat is flexing somewhere it shouldnt be.as far as handeling their warrenty, they've never questioned any repair i've had to make ,dealer or factory.in fact on the 38 i re-geled the factory paid me directly,outside the dealer. it was a major job, so i know they stand behind their boats.like i said before they build a good boat,any one who has driven one should agree,it's a pretty solid boat.i really just cant understand why they wont take care of chris's boat thats some major blistering,never seen anything like that before.
Old 10-16-2001, 05:31 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 Donzi 33ZX
GlassDave, know all about it, my last fairing was damn near coming of on the corners where it tappers down, they use 3 screws and a bonding agent, this time my cracking is in front of the driver and working backwards. This time the top is still very very stable and I consider this cosmetic.
My boat unlike most smaller boats is always in the bay and operates in a rough enviroment, so maybe there is a design issue and this area is stressing allot more than others areas on the fairing.
I was told by Donzi that after the bonding stuff bonds the screws are to me removed!

Back to Chris's deal, I wish him luck and I know he has been battling awhile, I think it is just time to let the courts handle it.
Bryan
Old 10-16-2001, 05:50 PM
Frank Civitano

Troutly. I wish I did I had kids in the back crying to get in. If I went any slower the water was coming over the back and getting the kids even worst. I had some nice air. The best was the year after Point Pleasant race, I was Sweep leader Inlet and the turn outside the Inlet. I had 4 people aboard Chris F in the rear and my wife in the front we followed Simply Awesome out the Inlet a 24 Baja that was racing. Not a bad day 4ft waves so when the boats went out we throttled down. A rouge wave at least 8-10 roller. Simply Awsome must of had 10ft under him of air, It was do or die time for me? See we were traveling over 70 mph coming out the Inlet, well we caught that wave and we thought Simply Awesome had air. I had to check my backside for stains after that one. I was waiting to in the Ocean with one less boat! I suffered one crack on the grab handle on the passengers side and my wife wanted to do it again!

Old 10-16-2001, 06:28 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

My Boats: '02 Sonic Prowler
That really changes my opinion of Donzi. Here with a Baja and all I always am prey to bigmouths ranking on it. (I think they are a little insecure even with better rides). Here is a high-quality builder that has much worse customer servie than Baja, it seems. Actually whenever I called them, they replaced parts for free when liability was qustionable, then again this is a whole boat.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:53 PM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

My Boats: BOATING, FAMILY, FRIENDS
Talking

I am a proud and happy Donzi owner. I have owned two since 1999 and will probably be in another one. For my own reasons/purposes I have not found anything I like better. Having just returned from the Annapolis boat show I am still searching for something I would prefer. My 22ZX, that Bryan owns has been an awesome boat. My 26ZX has also exceeded my expectations. I have never had a problem with Donzi Marines Customer support. Some of the people posting this thread knows that. My boat is solid, Rides big and is worth every penny I paid for it. I do not have a clue all of the issue with Chris's boat. I have only seen his side of it and have never seen Donzi defend there position one way or another. I hope he will get a resolution to his problem. As for my own experience his situation is the exception and not the norm. There are thousands of Donzi boats out in the water. The current owners who have responded on this thread have said they have never had a problem. Chris I have been following your web site for quite some time. I sincerly hope that you will reach a resolution to your problems. Your experience is 180 out from my own.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: DONZIMAN2 ]
Old 10-16-2001, 07:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1988 32' Pachanga
Seems pretty clear cut to me - our man has a warranty from an authorized dealer, the product is defective, and it's time for the dealer and the mfg to step up to the plate and take care of the most important thing they have: their customer.
Their second most important thing they have that they need to take care of is: their reputation - which is taking a beating when people look at those pictures.

I'll be sending an e-mail to them letting them know what I think, and asking them to respond on the board. Keep us posted and best of luck.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:51 PM
RickS

I agree with DonziMan2, this story is an exception. It also dates back to a time when the current owners of Donzi (American Marine Holdings) were beginning to make improvements in the company and manufacturing. AMH has been working hard on quality and customer satisfaction over the past few years and it's paid off. They really are putting out a great product and fully stand behind it. I've seen a lot of new Donzi's come out of the factory over the past few years and have witnessed the quality improvements first hand. I've also seen how well Donzi stands behind their boats. I previously mentioned my father's boat but my boat has also had warranty work. Last year Donzi paid, no questions asked, to have the deck on my 1996 18 Classic color sanded and buffed. This was obviously a cosmetic issue and Donzi was under no obligation to cover it on a 4 year old boat but they did. I also did not have a big dealer for support in pushing it through. All the recent warranty issues I know of have a happy ending and I struggle to understand what is different about this one. My thoughts though always come back to the age of the boat and the terms of the sale.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: RickS ]