Great Moments in Cat History >

Great Moments in Cat History

Notices

Great Moments in Cat History

Old 09-24-2001, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well im gonna go out on a limb here, but just in reading your last post there T2X Im Really considering that your initials may be R.L. And if not someone who certainly has close ties to R.L. Of course your reference to him in third person could point to that not being the case.
I only say so because the use of some specific wordings in your last post, are word for word of those I've heard from From R.L. Including the inboard\outboard turning of the drives. And 16 years of flying over races.
I have never really considered my dad as a (shipwright) Not saying thats a bad thing, I've just never seen him build any ships to speak of. Not unless they were during his apprenticeship in his early days in england. The closest to that even was large sportfisherman for Post marine there in Mays Landing in the mid-late 60's Other than that i've only known him to do somewhat high-tech OPC tunnels, and offshore cats. Or tooling At our shop for many different manufacturers. And still today He & I are very involved in the go-fast industry here in washington.
Also on Stu's JJ copy one of the things that really hurt that boat was the shape from the cockpit back. That to the best of my knowledge was a design change Per Stu\Joey.
However I very much agree on your thoughts on the Captain America Very well done machine, and was definatly in a class of its own like the JJ 35'. Would sure love to get my hands on that boat myself. At least there were one or two of these cats still running up to last year, and placing too. Kind of Sad all those great boats going to waste in some field now though.

Ken Jr.

P.S. Hey some of you OSO members should consider saving some history--Buy a old cat we'd be glad to restore it 4 ya!!
Old 09-24-2001, 10:03 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've got a Wing picture on my laptop.....anyone interested leave an e-mail address and I'll send it along tomorrow.

Catmando.....okay call me Raul or Waldo or Jacques....

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: T2x ]
Old 09-24-2001, 10:40 PM
Registered

Catmando,

AMEN. I'm often curious to know if the Japs used those to pop a mold, or just to better there knowledge on cats. Its really surprising that the 48' has met such a fate, would make an awsome pleasure cat w\all that cockpit space. Im in for saving some cat history.

Ken jr.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:56 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I am almost positive that the 48 Jesse James cat is still in mint condition in a wearhouse in Pheonix. I was mailed a parts list and photos of it a few years ago, I still have that stuff in my office somewhere. There is one of the 35/38 located in Englewood Fla. It is gutted though. I spoke with the guy earlier this year but I never did get to see the boat nor do I know which one it was. How many total boats did Conquest build?
Old 09-24-2001, 11:29 PM
FASTCATS

Ryan- When you can dig it up, I would like to learn what you have!

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Raul!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2001, 11:37 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

T2x,the wing picture,[email protected]
Old 09-24-2001, 11:49 PM
Registered

Ryan,
I believe the number of boats that we built in collaboration w\Rich(Conquest), and George was around the number of 9 actual wooden raceboats.

Rolling Thunder
Jesse 35
Jesse 48
White heat
Recovery
Captain America
What-a-Package
Rocky
Tim Ciasullis' (Chris-Craft Sponsored Cat)

And there was tooling for a 25 checkmate cat\in 85-86, and another 38 cat w\George in 95-96. We also did a 32 custom pleasure cat with twin 2.4s.
And if you take a look on this page http://www.jaguarmarine.com/frames.htm
And go to history
You'll notice a striking resemblence of wood boat construction as to those in the pictures i've posted.(coincidence)and the date too, Remembering all these others were built between 81'-89'.I think that one did turn out a little heavy, and He did do a hell of a job w\them once he got the mold Poped off. (Well I have some more pictures to post still) But the designer of that one is pretty near & dear to me. (huh Dad)
I think the new boats are really nice though quite different\and more original than everything out there now. (Nice Job Guys)

Ken jr.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:52 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

For those who are interested in the Switzer Wing,go to www.fiberglassics.com and log on Jeff Bowmans Cat House,lots of photos and history there with Bob Switzer,the original cat guy that IMHO started it all.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:58 PM
Registered

Ryan,
I would also like that info if its not A problem. The 38 In fla. is the old White Heat Cat. Its in fair shape as of a few years ago. Dad went down to look it over for someone. Ahh its wood Its fixable.

Ken jr.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I thought that the spinning/flipping of the cats was more due to the fact that the racers were raising the "X" dimension of the SSM#6 drives so high attempting to simulate a surface drive that there is little to no rudder left in the water to control the boat. (Why else would the longer “Swept Back” Fin’s help) Hence, when the driver attempts to turn the boat, nothing happens, a bit more and still no response, a bit more turn and the boat reacts far too much, combined with the chopping of the throttles makes the boat unload and come around.

Not every boat that has flipped has had the drives spinning in or out, nor have they all had solely “Swept Back” or Non-“Swept Back” Fins.

Quick Reply: Great Moments in Cat History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.