Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone use oil additives ? >

Anyone use oil additives ?

Notices

Anyone use oil additives ?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a product from John Bishop. He invented and patented the original Slick 50. Not the stuff they sell now, but the original formula that actually worked.

His stuff is one of the only, if not the only, oil additives approved by the FAA for airplanes.

I've seen 5 to 10 percent improvement in mpg in my vehicles (Astro van and Wrangler) after adding a bottle.

Check out http://lubrilon.com/index.asp
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I ran ZDDP additive in my 575sci with flat tappet cam. I used it with 15/40 rotella and never had a cam issue. Running 10psi boost I changed the oil a lot due to fuel dilusion and could not see spending money on synthetics or racing oil of any type. Oil pressure was always rock solid.

My $.02
I was thinking pro long a friend of mine is sponsored by pro long. They claim it adhere's to the metal. Have also heard of flat tappat lifters that have tiny little holes in them as well to increase cam life. My brother runs them in his race car. Thinking of giving some of these things try
Old 09-22-2014, 05:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

So, in these threads all over internet land, i always read "I have had good success with......"

but I have yet to run into a post that says "I have not had good success with ......."

other than 1. It was some Top Alchohol motor that was having problems with pushrod to rocker arm wear until he ran a certain additive with his oil.

That was it.

So.....who else has had problems with a certain something ?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by glboatdriver
I lost respect after I saw that you can buy it at Advance Auto Parts.

I put SeaFoam in a work truck one time and it set the sensor off in the catalytic converter and the dummy light. Replace the $30 sensor (took 3 farking hours since it was seized)

LOL - Never used that crap again.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
LMAO...perfect timing
Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the additive companies say yes to adding them to the oils and the oil companies most of them say no to adding extra additives to their already done oils.

IMO you are upsetting the balance of the oil brand the way it was engineered to perform, especially in the way of the millions of dollars, time of engineering & testing that has been done by some of the real oil manufacturers. Mobil One most likely has done and spent millions in engineering & testing their oil products.

Also over power oil by adding certain additives to the oil can deplete other additives that are designed to work how they were intended to in their balanced state. Example a calcium additive added to the oil can become over based and strip some of the anti wear additives away off the internal engine parts.

The same goes for over basing Phosphorus additives. Also a misconception is a ton of anti wear ZINC is better when in fact its not. Its all about balance and controlling oxidation along with controling heat & wear plus deposit control.

Balance of oil additives is the key along with proper maintenance and a properly tuned engine.

Last edited by BUP; 09-22-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
the additive companies say yes to adding them to the oils and the oil companies most of them say no to adding extra additives to their already done oils.

IMO you are upsetting the balance of the oil brand the way it was engineered to perform, especially in the way of the millions of dollars, time of engineering & testing that has been done by some of the real oil manufacturers. Mobil One most likely has done and spent millions in engineering & testing their oil products.

Also over power oil by adding certain additives to the oil can deplete other additives that are designed to work how they were intended to in their balanced state. Example a calcium additive added to the oil can become over based and strip some of the anti wear additives away off the internal engine parts.

The same goes for over basing Phosphorus additives. Also a misconception is a ton of anti wear ZINC is better when in fact its not. Its all about balance and controlling oxidation along with controling heat & wear plus deposit control.

Balance of oil additives is the key along with proper maintenance and a properly tuned engine.
As far as a balance, It does seem like something could be added, however , Why is it not in the oil in the first place . or is it.?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've had great success with running a high quality, proper weight oil and changing it on a schedule appropriate for the use of the vehicle.