Like Tree0Likes

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Granted, steps work to make a boat fast when the steps are in the water, such as the two cigs with identical power running under 100mph. But we are talking about 180mph in a vee. There's not much left in the water at that point.

Can we agree that steps have nothing to do with these speeds if the steps are out of the water on a calm water high speed run?

Who has a the video of the 170mph run?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: TBD

Isnt this all about the passion for speed and setting a record? Take Fountain out of the equation and insert your favorite boat builder would we still be arguing over the attempt? Breaking records and the quest for speed is the backbone to many sports. I only hope its all done safely!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1987 Scarab Panther

You guys keep talking about production hulls. Reggie is going for the World's Fastest V Bottom record, which he already holds. He not going for the World's fastest 38' V bottom with 525's record. He's focused on HUGE speed just like the Bacardi guys were when they broke 200mph. They weren't focused on the world's fastest 36' Cat Hull with 525's record.

If you want similar boats compared, then read your various boating magizines. Reggie, right now, wants to up the ante for World's Fastest V Bottom. ****ing Excellent. Some of his R&D will make it to the production line. Not in real time. Not every bit of info will be transfered into a production boat.

We never would have made it to the moon if we were going for highest orbiting space craft with 525's in it.

Very funny! This may be your best post in 1089...
Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Registered

Fountain has done more for the powerboating masses than anyone else.

Any attempt on a speed record of any kind is competitive.

Failure analysis helps us all, in all forms of machinery.

Don't confuse arrogance with confidence.

There is a "Gold Chain" Weight handicap of 2 MPH.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100-Plus
So what you're saying is now that you're on the last two feet of hull, you have more power left to reach that "top" speed because, in a stepped boat, you got there more efficiently ... it took less power? So theoretically, I'd get to that last two feet of hull with more operating range (rpm) left in my engine. Right?
you just explained it better than my post did.
But yes, thats how I've understood it to be. Like seaplanes and their sponsons. The steps in them let them get free of the resistance of the water, so they can do their thing (fly )

Quote:
I've ridden in many, many stepped boats and I know the feeling you've described.
First time I was on one I looked at the owner and yelled what the F was that. He just smiled. It was a unique feeling to say the least.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Nortech CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100-Plus
Ron P and Maryland Mark,

That's where I'm still getting confused. Once a boat is riding aft of its steps, I'm not sure where the "extra" top speed comes from. That's why I inititally asked T2X and FeverMike, who obviously have conflicting points of view, to explain it.
A non stepped hull needs to trim the drive out to get on the last 2 feet of the hull, a stepped hull does this with alot less trim because the steps should set up the correct running angle. The stepped hull will have the prop pushing it forward rather than using horsepower to lift the bow.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmark

I took it as you will get to the same top end quicker? With the stepped hull it will take less power to get there because of less resistance but the same amount of power for both boats to go the same speed once on the back 2 feet.
Not so much that you get their quicker, but the rest yes. and once you get to the last 2 feet it takes the same amount of power.

I'm using 2 feet as the example as that was the number used. Its different on different boats.

Ron P. I've seen that video of Reggie's run. I think he's running on teh 6's, and not any of teh hull in the water at all
Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmark
Since your boat has steps does that make is so you end up having less boat in the water at top end?

His "last 2 feet" is really say 8 feet and your "last 2 feet" is really say 4.5 feet which in turn creates less drag and more speed?
On the Cig example, that may be the answer. Video would tell. But there are a bunch of boats out there making really fast speed with no steps, like Velocity to name just one.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat
Speed records are the pure art form; just you and your machine against the laws of physics. There are no rules and it is not possible to cheat. As soon as you say everybody has to use the same engine the cheating starts.

Anybody wondering why an old man would want to take the risk needs to watch "The World's Fastest Indian" the story of Bert Munro, an old motorcycle racer who built a streamliner out of a 1920 Indian and set the record over 200 mph.

Best of luck to the entire team behind this attempt.
I couldn't have said it better!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the duke
Ron P. I've seen that video of Reggie's run. I think he's running on teh 6's, and not any of teh hull in the water at all
Someone needs to post it. It's a sight to behold.
Closed Thread