Like Tree0Likes

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
  #71
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Va.
Posts: 1,231
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgeking
I don't have any facts, but horsepower yesterday doesn't seem to equal horsepower today. I don't know if it's a measuring, calibration, calculation or instrumentation issue.
In the auto world there was a change in hp in the mid 70's and the way the hp was rated. Nothing has changed since 1990 and today.
Fanatic is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 PM
  #72
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike
Fanatic, the fact...REAL FACT...is T2X can't explain this and he refuses to acknowledge these facts as well. He's REALLY the one drinking Kool Aid. Rich, I understand and know that Fountain uses these races and kilo's for there marketing department. OL and Sunsation hang there hats on a P-Class win as World Champs and Cigarette hangs there marketing hat on there past racing history as well..why don;t you lambaste them as well?
I'm not lambasting anyone....I'm merely lamenting the need for some people on this site to deify ordinary men who possess an ability to self agrandize, be they boat manufacturers, APBA Offshore Chairmen, or boat racers.

Oddly the same people who worship at one altar and are left disappointed seem to be first to belly up to the next.........

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 12-15-2006 at 02:05 PM.
T2x is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 PM
  #73
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic
Have some actual fact to back that up?

Also how about the HUGE weight difference between the pleasure boats and full race boat?

My buddies 42 with twin merc was stripped to the bone.
Well..... even back in the day..... the old Mercruiser 750 HP Open class engines used to run rings around most other "900-1000 HP" offerings from "other" builders. This has happened consistently over the years.

The closest you'll get to reality is the Mercruiser HP and they never claimed anything near 1500 HP, but their old 900 SC's were as fast or faster than anything else on the race course.
Offshore is littered with wild dyno claims that didn't (and don't) hold up in real world use.......... But the 1075's seem to be right up there with anything else available today....unless of course you burn a little "fuel" to up the ante.

I know nothing about your "buddies boat", but if you want to start a thread to delve into "he said-she said" that would be an appropriate forum.

If your point is that a 9000 lb Fountain with true 3000 HP is faster than a 14000 LB Fountain with "claimed" 3000HP. I agree.

If you fail to understand that a lighter boat, faster props, lower drag gearcases, and more HP creates speed regardless of changes in hull design ......... Than I've got a bridge to sell ya.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM
  #74
Registered
 
JROMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cudjoe Key, FL USA
Posts: 961
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x
.......
If you fail to understand that a lighter boat, faster props, lower drag gearcases, and more HP creates speed regardless of changes in hull design ......... Than I've got a bridge to sell ya.

T2x
I think I'm missing something. My 33 PowerPlay with 525s, ITS XR shorties runs about 85 mph +/- any day of the week. A friend's new twin step gun with identical power, drives, etc., weighing considerably more, is 2+/- mph faster than me on average, running 87 mph +/-. The only reason I see that a heavier boat is going to be faster, everything else being equal (including our driving skills) , is hull design. So that being said, it certainly seems to me that Fountain's changes in hull design (brought about through their racing/kilo efforts) definately have some impact in the speeds their pleasure boats are able to reach.
JROMY is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM
  #75
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 227
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Question for T2X and FeverMike:

All things being equal in terms of boat weight, power, props, X-dimension, gear ratio, rpm, deck "aerodynamics," conditons and driver ability, if a both a stepped V-hull and a conventional V-hull are riding on their last six inches of running surface and final third of their propellers blades, shouldn't their top speed be the same?

A simpler way of asking this question might be: Once a stepped boat is riding on the final section of its running surface, how do the steps continue to enhance its top speed? Or is that a common misconception? For sure, if it's true their must be an explanation, and that explanation has to beyond a simple "it's just more efficient."

Great discussion guys. Definitely not to be taken personally by anyone. Asking questions is a good thing.

Last edited by 100-Plus; 12-15-2006 at 03:10 PM.
100-Plus is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM
  #76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 714
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x
I'm not lambasting anyone....I'm merely lamenting the need for some people on this site to deify ordinary men who possess an ability to self agrandize, be they boat manufacturers, APBA Offshore Chairmen, or boat racers.
No one is trying to make Reggie into a god. But lets face it. There is NO ONE out there today building boats that can even shine his shoes as far as his racing skills. Reggie might be a lot of things, but he has ALWAYS backed up what he said on the water. As I'm sure you know, he got his first racing job with glastron/carlson by having an ego telling them he could win. and he did.
the duke is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:09 PM
  #77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 714
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100-Plus
A simpler way of asking this question might be: Once stepped boat is running on the final section of its running surface, how do the steps continue to enhance its top speed?.
They don't. what they (steps) do is allow less power to get you to the point when you are on that last 2 feet. If you have ever riden in a fast stepped boat, you can feel the hull lift at a certain speed. almost like hydrofoils. The steps just did their job, overcame the waters resistance, and now you can get those higher speeds
the duke is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM
  #78
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 227
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

So what you're saying is now that you're on the last two feet of hull, you have more power left to reach that "top" speed because, in a stepped boat, you got there more efficiently ... it took less power? So theoretically, I'd get to that last two feet of hull with more operating range (rpm) left in my engine. Right?

I've ridden in many, many stepped boats and I know the feeling you've described. And I understand how steps work in reducing wetted running surface. It's the final top speed part I've been a little hazy about. You might just have enlightened me, Mr. Duke. Thanks.
100-Plus is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM
  #79
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Please explain more-

I took it as you will get to the same top end quicker? With the stepped hull it will take less power to get there because of less resistance but the same amount of power for both boats to go the same speed once on the back 2 feet.
marylandmark is offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 04:06 PM
  #80
Enjoy the show
VIP Member
 
Ron P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 10,353
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

But if the boat is so powerful that it rides on just the last two feet...and there's no steps in those last two feet...wouldn't a non stepped boat with the same HP been able to achieve that hyper speed?

So what's steps got to do with speeds that bring them completely out of the water?
Ron P is offline  
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
T2x
General Boating Discussion
134
12-17-2016 09:05 PM
SHARKEY-IMAGES
Sharkey-Images
68
09-04-2011 10:28 PM
fountain1fan
Fountain
2
05-25-2007 05:55 PM
Maximus
General Boating Discussion
18
08-06-2002 01:01 AM
Scooter
General Boating Discussion
7
02-03-2002 12:19 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.