Life jackets....Yes or no??

Notices

Life jackets....Yes or no??

Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Life jackets....Yes or no??

I wear mine anytime I'm going much faster than idling,same for my tether,I get some strange looks by all the "cool" guys that don't wear them,especially when racing but things can happen real quick and I want every chance of coming out ok,Smitty
Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I bought 8 lifelines so that everyone in the boat will have one.
on a lake i never wear one but in the ocean everyone wears one. you never know when a whale might pop up right in front of you,( and trust me that gets your attention ) plus i go faster in the ocean for longer distances.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We started making Lifelines manditory for all ages after taking Tres Martin's school in 2005.
It was a hard sell at first for my family, especialy on the TopGun vrs my Cat.The higher freeboard makes people feel very safe!
You just never know!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:46 AM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

You wear your Lifeline vest on the OSO boat or you don't ride, no exceptions.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

The wife and I have flown twice to ride with friends on poker runs and we have carried our custom fit LifeLines with us on the plane. They are so important that we do not check them and risk them being lost or stolen.

You only get one chance!
Attached Thumbnails Life jackets....Yes or no??-charlotte-boat-show-007-custom-.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Registered

I boat on lakes only. They are usually very smooth. I rarely exceed 60 mph. I only wear a jacket if the conditions call for it.
....And --- Get this : My old boat doesn`t even have a safety lanyard. I am going to install one before spring though.
If I was running in the ocean , you bet - everyone on my boat will wear one ! It`s just different out there....

In Texas, children 12 and under MUST wear a jacket anytime the vessel is underway --- and I STRICTLY enforce this law on my boat. If you`re not a strong swimmer (like my older sister) I require you wear a jacket or sit on shore.

Just common sense here folks...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought five lifeline jackets for poker running and think it is a great idea for them to be mandatory on those runs. That being said I think it is a private boaters choice to wear them when he or she is recreational boating.

I DO think these types of protective jackets need to be worn when boaters are out going fast and/or doing anything that exceeds cruising around at slow to moderate speeds. If you are going to go out and "Hammer Down" you need these jackets for protection.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Copied online from the following link:

Boating is enjoyable and relaxing, but accidents do happen. In 2004, across the United States there were 4,904 recreational boating accidents resulting in 3,363 injuries and 676 deaths.

The most common causes of boating accidents are collisions with other boats, collisions with fixed objects, people falling overboard, capsizing, and skier mishaps. Capsizing and falls overboard resulted in more than half of the reported fatalities in 2004. Other potential accidents involve sinking or flooding, explosions, fires, disappearances, and carbon monoxide asphyxiation. Alcohol is involved in over one-third of boating accidents and boating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal in every state.

http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/a...-accidents.htm

I would say a lot more people die on lakes under 60 MPH then in the ocean. Some would still be around if they were wearing a PFD.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime
Attached Thumbnails Life jackets....Yes or no??-pic-024.jpg   Life jackets....Yes or no??-pic-004.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Donman
I boat on lakes only. They are usually very smooth. I rarely exceed 60 mph. I only wear a jacket if the conditions call for it.
....And --- Get this : My old boat doesn`t even have a safety lanyard. I am going to install one before spring though.
If I was running in the ocean , you bet - everyone on my boat will wear one ! It`s just different out there....

In Texas, children 12 and under MUST wear a jacket anytime the vessel is underway --- and I STRICTLY enforce this law on my boat. If you`re not a strong swimmer (like my older sister) I require you wear a jacket or sit on shore.

Just common sense here folks...
Not trying to be a jerk, but if you are going to quote the law,

Here it is, from the Texas water safety digest.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...br_l2000_0001/

Lifesaving Devices
All Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) must be U.S. Coast Guard approved, in serviceable condition, readily accessible, and of the appropriate size for intended user.
[/COLOR]

All children under 13 years of age in motorboats under 26 feet in length must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD while underway. Underway means not at anchor, made fast to the shore, or aground.

All vessels, including canoes and kayaks, must be equipped with one Type I, II, III or V wearable PFD for each person on board. A Type V PFD is acceptable only if used in accordance with the specific instructions on the label of the device.

Vessels 16 feet and longer, excluding canoes and kayaks, are required to be equipped with one Type IV throwable PFD in addition to the Type I, II, III, or V PFD required for each person on board.

Inflatable PFDs are authorized only when used in accordance with requirements as presented on U.S. Coast Guard approval labels. Inflatable PFDs are not approved for use on personal watercraft, waterskiing, or other high speed activity.

I understand this to mean that there is no requirement for boats over 26' in length. However there should be in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Life jackets....Yes or no??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.