Life jackets....Yes or no?? >

Life jackets....Yes or no??

Notices

Life jackets....Yes or no??

Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 2,956 Likes on 981 Posts
Default Life jackets....Yes or no??

I don't know how to do a pole so the question is there.....I've taken a few hits for footage where we're catching air and no one is wearing jackets. On the recent crash thread it's going towards why no one was wearing jackets. So I figured a thread dedicated to the topic is in order.

So where do you stand and why?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Life jackets....Yes or no??

I always wear LifeLines. The reasons should be obvious.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Life lines going to pick up some new ones
Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

the reason isnt obvious. YES lifejackets save lives..that is a fact HOWEVER: I am sick of goverment agencies pracing laws on us. This is a free counrty. If I choose to wear a seat belt, helmet or a lifejacket I will. Why do you want more regulations?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this already in the safe boating section but I am more than happy to do it again
About 7 years ago when I had my jet-ski I hit a wave wrong at about 55 and got thrown off,first if you have never hit water at speed its hard you will slid for a while then go under.I had hit my ankle upon leaving the ski pretty hard and I thought it was broke.I was able to swim using only my hands back to the ski I was only able to do this due to the fact I had a life vest and the ski was there(kill switches are great)
If its my time fine but if not I would rather just swim back to the boat
It is my opinion that 90% of boating fatalities would be eliminated if both life vests an kill switches were worn all the time.And yes I wear both all the time
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll be the first to say I don't wear jackets the majority of the time. Lanyard on at all times. Most poker runs I run in the far right lane cruising along at 50-60mph, boat runs appr. 80 mph top end. Im one of the last one's to the card stop, and don't have a problem with that. I dont usually race, goof off, try and stay 150' away from other boaters on PR's, drink alcohol, respect my fellow boaters and so on. I also dont wear my helmet when on my Big Dog except on long hauls. I do wear my safety belt in the truck, that's a law. Jeff
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should be responsible, and wear them when the conditions call for them.
If you're going to run hard, or you're out in big water - Landyards and vests should be on. It's just common sense.
Admittedly, I've been out in big water and didn't vest many times, but I'm a little older now and feeling a little more "mortal".
I agree, I don't want the Gov't to mandate this, and the seatbelt thing, well, it's hard for me to change my ways, and I often don't even think about the fact that I rarely wear one.
Life vest is different - if the conditions call for it, USE it. If your cruising through the ICW at reduced speed, I don't see it necessary. BUT... at no time underway (except maybe idle) should anyone be on the sunpad or deck. That's just an injury waiting to happen.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I think you should be responsible, and wear them when the conditions call for them.
If you're going to run hard, or you're out in big water - Landyards and vests should be on. It's just common sense.
Admittedly, I've been out in big water and didn't vest many times, but I'm a little older now and feeling a little more "mortal".
I agree, I don't want the Gov't to mandate this, and the seatbelt thing, well, it's hard for me to change my ways, and I often don't even think about the fact that I rarely wear one.
Life vest is different - if the conditions call for it, USE it. If your cruising through the ICW at reduced speed, I don't see it necessary. BUT... at no time underway (except maybe idle) should anyone be on the sunpad or deck. That's just an injury waiting to happen.
Wow!!! Common sense!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

this thread is going to get beat to death!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by fountainracing42
the reason isnt obvious. YES lifejackets save lives..that is a fact HOWEVER: I am sick of goverment agencies pracing laws on us. This is a free counrty. If I choose to wear a seat belt, helmet or a lifejacket I will. Why do you want more regulations?
This is the right idea. Freedom of individual choice to wear or not wear. I personally vest up depending on the conditions (fast poker runs/ bahamas trips/ big water are vest occasions). ICW at 25 mph/ idle are not.

Quick Reply: Life jackets....Yes or no??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.