Life jackets....Yes or no??

Notices

Life jackets....Yes or no??

Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Life jackets....Yes or no??

Originally Posted by Jassman
I'll be the first to say I don't wear jackets the majority of the time. Lanyard on at all times. Most poker runs I run in the far right lane cruising along at 50-60mph, boat runs appr. 80 mph top end. Im one of the last one's to the card stop, and don't have a problem with that. I dont usually race, goof off, try and stay 150' away from other boaters on PR's, drink alcohol, respect my fellow boaters and so on. I also dont wear my helmet when on my Big Dog except on long hauls. I do wear my safety belt in the truck, that's a law. Jeff
Thats me! Not perfect, just trying to have a good time and use common sense.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the Federal law that applies when States do not have their own rules or if you are outside State waters (offshore)

NEW FEDERAL LIFE JACKET RULE
The United States Coast Guard's Life Jacket Rule for Children went into effect December 23, 2002. In support of the ongoing efforts of the states and Coast Guard to improve boating safety, the Coast Guard is requiring that all children under 13 years of age wear Coast Guard approved life jackets, while aboard recreational vessels underway, except when the children are below decks or in an enclosed cabin.
This rule was created to address the problem of childhood drownings while boating. Between 1995 - 2001, 210 of our children, under the age of 13 died while boating. One hundred and twenty one (121) of them by drowning. Most of these deaths could have been prevented if the child had been wearing a properly fitting life jacket.

The Rule affects only those States that have not established requirements, by statute or rule, for children to wear life jackets. For the remaining states, the rule recognizes and adopts the existing state regulation, even if it is less stringent.

Penalties for a boat operator who fails to have all children under the age of 13 wear a life jacket are similar to those for failing to have life jackets on board. Penalties may be assessed up to a maximum of $1,100 for each violation.

Interestingly, I had a hard time finding the new USCG rules even on their website. The USCG rule is a better one, yet defers to State rules regardless of how lax they may be.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

2 events helped change my perception on wearing a Lifeline when running hard. First was almost coming out of a boat that was severely chine walking at 80 MPH after the driver quartered a cruiser wake with the tabs and drives up and the second event was the OL accident at SOTW. Now the Lifeline gets put on (with leg straps buckled) everytime when running the main channel at LOTO or attending a Poker Run or other similar type event.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OSOAdmin
You wear your Lifeline vest on the OSO boat or you don't ride, no exceptions.
Same rule applies on my boat during poker runs. Wear it, or stay on the dock. It's non negotiable.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reference to the tragedy at Marco Island this weekend, I often wonder if novice passengers in a poker run or other high speed run, knows how bad things can go, and how quickly they can do it. Those of us who choose this sport, realize what can happen, but I don't know if a once a year passenger has any idea.

I never have read if the people in this accident were wearing PFD's or not.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
In reference to the tragedy at Marco Island this weekend, I often wonder if novice passengers in a poker run or other high speed run, knows how bad things can go, and how quickly they can do it. Those of us who choose this sport, realize what can happen, but I don't know if a once a year passenger has any idea.

I never have read if the people in this accident were wearing PFD's or not.
I've been around boating since I was 10 (42 now) and up until I started to ride on offshore performance boats and breaking the 60, 70, 80 MPH mark I know I didn't appreciate just how much more dangerous and violent things can get at speed. At first I was just exhilarated to be running that fast and hard and then when I experienced hanging half out of the side of a boat at 80 MPH, I quickly realized I could not be cavalier about safety and the proper equipment when running at those speeds. So yes, I agree with your assessment here Cuda based on my own experience. In defense of the captain that almost tossed me out of his boat, he did provide all of us with a LifeLine jacket. Of course, being a newbie I didn't secure the leg straps...and let me tell you that along with my life crossed my mind as I thought I was going overboard!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

We wear lifelines when we are going to run very hard, or on a busy weekend. We wore them more last season than any year before. Sometimes the rule got to be anything above idle. But honestly, we did not apply that rule every time out.