Notices

Speed Limit On NH lakes

Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Good question. I thought they even mentioned something about going through the court system?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Moose482
Ocdactive, ask Rep Pilliod why he left the following voice mail on someone's voice mail thay does not support the speed limit. I bet you a dollar he hangs up, that is if you even get to talk to him. Let us know how you make out. Here is the message - "Fear. It has nothing to do with death rate, or anything else, the numbers of arrests for speed and all the rest of it. It has to with a lack of courtesy on the part of the, I'll call them ocean going vessels, like your own, the Donzi's and the rest of them?."
I can tell you right now that it has nothing to do with courtesy. It is about CONTROL. There is a group of people who think every speed limit is too high no matter what it is. Everytime the issue of speed comes out, whether it is on a waterway or a highway, these lying maniacs come out of the woodwork saying we need more speed control, that speeds are too high, and we are on the verge of a major calamity. Their arguments never make any logical sense either. They are just a bunch of lying nuts. They are the same ones who want the 55 mph national speed limit back, and who said "the blood of children will be on your hands" when the the limit was raised. The death rate actually went down in subsequent years.

Michael
Old 03-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do whatever you can to stop the speed limit.

I was doing some testing on my local lake recently. The lake is 1 mile x 1 mile and they land sea planes on it. I only ran it at half throttle and was just verifying that all systems were working before taking it out in the ocean. The speed limit is 35 mph on the lake, however, it is hardly ever enforced. I only go out there to test on winter days when no one is on the lake.

I was only running between 50 and 70 at half throttle. I was literally the only boat on the lake and was just putting around. Next thing I know, I am being waved in by a sheriff. He charged me with a crime for speeding on the lake. He had 4 radar readings, 4 in the 50 mph range and 1 at 68. It was a $250.00 fine and a manditory court appearance. It was total harrassment. I had four cops busting me and they taking a lot of pleasure in doing so. Didn't they have anything better to do?

Unlike a ticket, this would stay on my record. Now I have to spend over a grand to retain a lawyer to try to beat it. This sucks!

Dave

Last edited by Propster; 03-23-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Propster
Do whatever you can to stop the speed limit.

I was only running between 50 and 70 at half throttle. I was literally the only boat on the lake and was just putting around. Next thing I know, I am being waved in by a sheriff. He charged me with a crime for speeding on the lake. He had 4 radar readings, 4 in the 50 mph range and 1 at 68. It was a $250.00 fine and a manditory court appearance. It was total harrassment. I had four cops busting me and they taking a lot of pleasure in doing so. Didn't they have anything better to do?

Dave
Sounds like people need to start bringing their radar detectors into their boats.

Michael
Old 03-24-2007, 07:16 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
Sounds like people need to start bringing their radar detectors into their boats.

Michael
but you'd have to tape it to your ear to hear it
Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered
Gold Member

So, if he is so concerned with "ocean going vessels" then how come he doesn't have the same distain for all the floating condos on the lake!? I'd rather be passed by a peformance boat at speed than a 40' Carver (or similar) at 15 - 20 knots leaving a 5' wake for all to deal with!!

Again - bogus agenda from an uneducated / uninformed "official".
Old 03-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

Thanks OCDACTIVE,

I live in Washington State in Snohomish County north of Seattle. Most of the lakes in Snohomish county have a 35 mph speed limit. There are no speed limits in the sound or in the larger lakes and rivers in the east side of the state. I was being very safe by going out on a winter day with no one on the lake and stayed in the middle of the lake to ensure plenty of warning if anyone came out.

I was hoping to see if anyone had some defense strategies to beat it, such as

Float planes are considered vessels while they are in the water,
boats should be able to go the same speed as all other vessels.

Radar guns are not accurate unless the angle is within x degress of direction of craft.

Boats are not required to have a speedometer

Any ideas whould be helpfull. The speed limit on that lake has never been enforced. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket on that lake. Over half of the boats speed on that lake and all of the jet skis. I would like to put together a defense that might have a chance of repealing the speed limit on that lake.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...321/-1/CITIZEN
Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Sounds to me like they are inviting business as usual. They are pretty much telling everyone that you can go as fast as you want through those zones and their is nothing they can do except "ask" you to slow down. Is it my imagination, or is that cop winking at us in that pic?